• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does my puppy have allergy????

Kimberly

Hi.

I'm a new cav owner ... of Bailey, a 5 month old male pup. He seems to have allergy. When I got him, he was congested and sneezy. I took him to Vet, who gave him 2 weeks worth of clavamox. Vet ruled out Kennel Cough. While his symptoms have improved, 3 weeks later, he is still congested, particularly in the AM and evening. He responds well to children's benadryl - at Vet's recommendation, this clears the congestion.

I assume I can't have him on children's benadryl forever? What should I do?

-Kim, owner of Bailey

Allergies can be related to a number of things and it can be hard to isolate the cause. What are you feeding him?

puppy allergy

I'm feeding him Iams wet food & Eukanuba dry food (planning yo switch to Iams one bag of eukanuba is finished).

You think congestion/snezzy type allergy symptions can result from his food???

I was wondering if he's allergic to my apartment, but I clean regularly and try to keep dust to a minimum ... is tough in NYC apartment but I do OK.

Do you use lots of cleaning sprays etc? Things like that can cause allergies, also those plug ins or other types of smellies.

We changed over to a Polti steam cleaner {one of mine has seizures which can be exacerbated by chemicals}

It can be very hard to discover what is causing an allergy - really a matter of trying to rule things out.

There is allergy testing available...maybe worth asking for a referral to a dermatolgist?

Could also be hiud food -- both those foods use preservatives and have a high grain content. Some dogs have allergies to those.

There's lots of info on feeding here:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

And at the bottom a list of foods that don;t have high grain content or preservatives. You might try him on one of those. Get adult food as well, not puppy food. :) Some dogs also do better on a more unusual meat choice in the kibble, like fish or lamb rather than beef or chicken. Turket sometimes is also a better option.

puppy allergy

really ... feed adult food not the puppy food??? Where do I buy these better quality foods? online only?

wellness + Nutrical ??

Hey Karlin - I'm switching to Wellness, adult food for my 5 mo old pup!! Thanks for the links to some great info.

Once he's fully transitioned to the Wellness ... does he still need his Nutrical supplement?

A lot of breeders feel giving a lot of supplements especially to puppies accelerates their growth and gives too many nutrients in general. A well-rounded adult food will supply everything your pup needs, but others may have some opinions on supplements. I never gave them. I do however usually add something anytime I feed kibble -- such as a bit of boiled chicken or cooked hamburger, pureed raw vegetables, sometimes a heaping teaspon of yogurt -- there are lots of suggestions in some previous threads on feeding. I find boiled or roasted chicken never goes amiss. :)

When we first got Ozzy he had a cold/cough - had injection and then on the pink antiobiotics for 5 days...... still had it so another course of 5 days. Vet then recommended the cough medicine - basically it lasted 4-5 weeks.

Re: puppy allergy

k_colello said:
You think congestion/snezzy type allergy symptions can result from his food???

I was wondering if he's allergic to my apartment, but I clean regularly and try to keep dust to a minimum ... is tough in NYC apartment but I do OK.

If i understand you right, he already had the symptoms when you got him? He had the congestion on the day you got him? Can you ask the person you got him from whether any of their other dogs have similar symptoms? That would tell you if it's likely a respiratory virus of some kind.

If you kept him on the same diet he was on before you got him, it might not be a food allergy, unless he was the only dog who had these symptoms at the place where he came from. If he already had the symptoms when you first got him, then it doesn't sound like it's anything in your apartment.

It sounds to me like a cold, if the symptoms have improved and are lingering on--at least that's the way colds sometimes are for humans, they go away gradually sometimes. I don't know anything about dogs having colds, but if they do get them, this sounds like a human type cold. Also, a complication of a human cold can be a sinus infection--i wonder if he's had enough anti-biotics. Maybe you can try giving him some colloidal silver. Innovative Natural Products has a pet formula.

For bad or lingering colds for myself or my daughter when she was living here, i have used a humidifier.

does he have any other symptoms besides the respiratory stuff?

cold is better

thanks to all for the great advice. Bailey's cold seems to have passed. On some days, I notice some congestion ... but its greatly improved and its not everyday - which again, leads me to believe it might be allergy. This week ... I'm not noticing much congestion, only sneezing, which occurs when I take him out. So I think he's OK. He was on 2 rounds of antibiotics.

And I'm feeding Wellness adult food now (well, transitioning, which takes time, but he's tolerating the change well)- I'm doing a mix of wet and kibble ... 1 cup daily split into 3 feedings/day. In addition, he still receives treats each time he goes outside - maybe 6-8 treats per day ... and I give bits of human food here and there too ... I think it's enough, based on what I'm reading on this forum. He eats so fast though! He's such a scarfer ... the food is GONE in literally 2 minutes flat.

He's still on the Nutrical and I'm thinking I'll continue that until 6 months, and then wean off or just stop.

Back