Thread: Kibble Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kibble Size

Everyone has been talking about food again, and this has been something on my mind, especially when thinking about a new puppy.

We feed Cedar Adult Wellness, and the kibble size is really quite large. I would imagine that a baby puppy might have a hard time eating it. I have not seen any "small kibble" Wellness out there. Have any of you?

I really like Wellness and would like to stay with it. But if I have to use a different brand with a puppy, what _Whole Dog_- recommended adult food has a small enough kibble size for a baby puppy?
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get some samples from their webpage..... see if there is anything that would suit her.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a baby puppy right now. My question was due to the recent threads about food, so I thought I'd raise it now to see what others had done.

I guess many havent had issues with kibble size, as few have responded!
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like

I was worried about the adult kibble, but he was fine with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think size makes too much difference. Some might argue that the smaller kibble is easier to inhale and cause problems for a dog that eats fast. Also I think the larger size does a better job at cleaning teeth. One of the prescription diets you can get for helping to clean teeth and get a cat to eat more slowly is actually based on the idea of a slightly larger kibble.

Royal Canin make s small adult kibble for small breeds and I have fed that for a long time, but more recently I have ben trying James Wellbeloved (a UK kibble) that is larger and am very happy with that.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Canidae has smallish round nuggets that I think would be good for a pup. I have to agree that Wellness kibble is not only on the large size but it's a pyramid shape that is not Chester's favorite.

I also really like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soup because the kibble are flat little rounds...imagine a really tiny hockey puck.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! And thanks, GudrunTheRed for the descriptions of some of these different foods. It gives me a place to start! I have a tough time getting food from shops because we dont have that many boutiques in town, and I would hate to order something online --with the added costs, etc.--to only find the kibble as large as what I have already.

I'll keep Canidae and Chicken Soup on the list!
    Cindy