• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

TedBear - MRI

Nicki

I wasn't going to say anything yet, but as it's a few weeks away, thought I'd tell everyone.

TedBear is going to have a consultation and an MRI at Glasgow Vet School on 24th April.

He has been scratching for some time, we've eliminated other causes and sadly now suspect that it may be Syringo.

He is 2 1/2, the scratching is really his only symptom, he's so full of life and happy. He does startle easily, and is "reactive" when you groom him - he scratches behind his front legs and around his neck. If you put a collar on him, he reacts to this too. He's not showing any signs of being in pain - he never cries out or screams like Rupert does when he has an episode.

I know that some dogs who've only shown mild symptoms have actually been the most severely affected when MRI'd, so we are doing this to establish how badly affected he really is, and his treatment options. We have tried Frusemide, but this didn't work for him.

I will of course keep everyone posted and let you know when I have the results - just can't believe this is happening, we tried so hard to find an unaffected dog, there is no family history and his breeder is {genuinely} shocked. He was 19 months when we had him, and started scratching at 22 months.

Oh Nicki, I am so sorry to hear this. This must be such a weight for you to be carrying, and it won't be easy to have to wait until the 24th to know more. I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome. It could be PSOM that is bothering him, especially if he doesn't seem to have any other issues. And I know Clare feels that scratching alone is not necessarily going to be a major problem and he might never have any further difficulties, if it is SM. I'm thinking of you as I know the uncertainty right now must be very difficult.

Nicki -

I'm so sorry to hear you suspect SM in dear TedBear. :( I will be thinking of you and hoping that his MRI is clear. It sounds hopeful that his symptoms are very mild at his age. HOpefully if he does have SM he will be one of the lucky ones who don't progress past the scratching and mild discomfort. :( I can imagine how frustrating this must be considering all you've been through with Rupert and your efforts to avoid going through that again...

Rory sends puppy kisses to you and TedBear!

Oh Nicki I'm so sorry about TedBear. I just felt sick when I read this. You've been through so much with Rupert, and TedBear is better hands because of this. You're going to get some answers and regardless, he's going to have the best life possible just as Rupert. Know that we're thinking of you and TedBear, and will keep you in our thoughts on the 24.

I'm really sorry to hear this Nicki. My thoughts are with you and Tedbear for the 24th. The very best of luck.
Joanna

Thanks everyone - your positive thoughts and words are much appreciated. TedBear was quite scratchy last night - I have been putting a magnetic collar on him at night but had to take it off as it was bothering him too much :(

He does sit on my magnetic pad during the day sometimes though which I hope will help.

Karlin, I started off hoping that it might be PSOM but had dismissed it as he is scratching behind his front legs mostly - although also at his neck and ears. I would have expected PSOM irritation to be concentrated around the face?

My understanding is that because it can cause other neurological signs, it can potentially trigger scratching anywhere.

Abstract:
Sixty-one episodes of primary secretory otitis media (PSOM) were diagnosed in 43 Cavalier King Charles spaniels over a 10-year period. The principal findings were signs of moderate to severe pain localised to the head or cervical area, and/or neurological signs.

I would imagine as with SM that the neurological signs could be the same skin-creeping sensations and so on. I don't know many more details; I have this complete article somewhere so will see if I can find it on my PC.

The neurological signs seen with middle ear didsease are usually vestibular -- i.e. balance issues. Head tilts, circling, unbalanced, etc. Due to compression of other nerves w/in the skull, not the spinal cord which is thought to be the cause of the neurological "creepy skin" sensations observed in SM.

Nicki - thinking of you and TedBear! ;)

Thanks guys - PSOM is looking more unlikely...his balance is superb, he's like a little mountain goat if he gets up on the rocks etc. No head tilt etc. He leaps up and down from the bed and chairs quite happily too - there is a pouffee at the end of the bed to reduce the height of the jump.

The only circling he does is to "twirl" with excitement, which he's always done - so cute!!

Karlin, I think I have that article somewhere too, I did read it ages ago and didn't recollect seeing scratching specifically mentioned.

Ok - i talked to a classmate and she reminded me that a lot of the "neuro" signs of middle ear disease (like the balance and stuff) is due to disruption of the vestibular system which is responsible for an animal's (or human's) sense of balance. There are these little hairs in the middle ear and this delicate system.... really hard to explain. Anyway. Middle ear disease can cause "neurologic" signs related to this. Also can cause Horner's syndrome due to compression of one of the cranial nerves.

Nicki said:
The only circling he does is to "twirl" with excitement, which he's always done - so cute!!

rory does this, too. ;) It's adorable.

Thanks for clarifications, those are helpful. I must add a note on the type of scratching to the SM website.

Leo also twirls when waiting for his food -- Margaret who minds him loves it when he does this... I like it less as I am always trying to get a scrunchy over his head to protect his ears and it is hard to tackle a moving target! :lol:

Yea. Trying to put Rory's harness on while he's twirling around can be difficult, too. :roll:

I was very lucky, TedBear had been trained to sit to have a lead put on, so he's good then.

He twirls when you greet him, or play with him, or when he wants to go out {that's a new one to me!!}, or just when he's excited...

I can only imagine how hard it is to get a harness on a twirler :roll:

After Rupert was so poorly {with SM} a couple of years ago, he started this great new game that as soon as you went to put his harness on he'd run off "laughing" and we had to chase him. We were just so pleased he was feeling better, we let him get away with it. Well you can guess this wasn't a great behaviour to encourage...but he does come as soon as you "call" him and sit, so we do manage to get him dressed eventually. Either that or resort to rugby tackles :lol:

Kendall, thanks for the clarification on PSOM - it's really helpful. I think we are learning alll the time. My friend's Cavalier does have PSOM, it all came to light recently when it became infected and her ears were drained. She's doing ok though.

Prayers for you and TedBear that everything will be Ok. At least after the MRI you will know what to do next.
Julie and the girls

Good luck, Nicky and TedBear -- I know your scan is coming up this weekend. Lots of us will be thinking positive thoughts for the outcome. :flwr:

Thanks Karlin...Linda has very kindly offered to post as soon as we have any news - my hubby will contact her and she will post here.

All your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated :thnx:

Nikki
Is off to Glasgow with Tedbear, I pray that the outcome is good and
the results are negative.

I will be absolutely sure as soon as I hear from Trevor, to post to let everyone know.

I wish I could of gone with her. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Trevor said she arrived safely with Tedbear. :drivecar: :drivecar: :drivecar: :drivecar:

Back