• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

TedBear - MRI

Nicki said:
He's now down to 2mg of Prednisolone per day, and I've obtained homoepathic remedies made from this, the Neurontin {he's also taking 100mg of the conventional drug twice daily} and also Frusemide {he only has the remedy for this, not the conventional drug}.

Nicki - I tried an herbal version of furosemide before the surgery wwith Rory and saw zero results. :( Now he is on regular furosemide and if I miss the dose for a few days, i definitely see a difference.

Karlin {sorry I missed your post earlier}, it's hard to know what to suggest, I'd always thought the Neurontin was more for the pain and steroids for the scratching, and had thought that this combination would stop it altogether. I'm kind of reluctant to stop either drug, to see which is working but I guess this is the only way to tell. I can only say maybe try the Neurontin and see if you notice an improvement - TedBear was very quiet and obviously not feeling too great on the drugs until I introduced the remedies...so maybe something to think about. It was hard as he doesn't cry at all, so being quiet is also an indication of pain with him - I was very relieved when he started to feel better.

Neurontin works on neuropathic pain -- this is what is causing the scratching. So the neurontin really really helps reduce scratching, at least for Rory and most other SM dogs. Prednisone or prednisolone or any steroid reduces pain by reducing inflammation. So it helps relieve some of the pressure, I guess... I'm not entirely sure what inflammation is involved with SM and so don't know exactly how it helps. It is not a direct analgesic, like neurontin or other pain killers. The pain is reduced by relieving some of the cause of the pain. I'm thinking it relieves some of the swelling in the syrinxes, but that's just a guess... I don't know the exact mechanism or target. [/quote]

TedBear had developed rather an appetite from the steroids, but that has gone now so I know the remedies are counteracting the side effects. I'm actually giving him a dose of the remedies mid afternoon, as I find this helps him.

That's very interesting that you were able to counteract some of the side effects with homeopathics...! :)

Are you planning on keeping him on the steroids long term? It's not ideal to keep animals on steroids long term unless it is absolutely necessary and the problems cannot be managed any other way. Or in life-threatening situations -- like a disease where the animal would have such poor quality of life without the steroids that it is preferable to keep them on steroids despite the side effects. Steroids have a ton of detrimental side effects if usesd long term. They affect almost all the organ systems.

Rory has managed quite well on 100mg Neurontin every 8 hours and Furosemide 10mg twice a day. I was giving MSM but saw no difference so not giving it anymore. But I do know that if I stop with either of the drugs he is on, the scratching increases noticeably. So the combination seems key. he has been pretty stable since the surgery. It will be 6 months on Wednesday. A couple of the neurologists (including the one who did the surgery) said they often see the dogs relapse at about 6 - 8 months post-op, so I'm a little nervous about the next few months.. Especially since I will be out of the country and Rory will be staying with my parents. :?

Have you considered surgery for TedBear, nicki? it's such a tough call... :(

Nicki, I am so sorry to learn TedBear has the COMS. It brings tears to my eyes. I know it was not expected at all. I hope he is better since this information was shared here last Spring. Hugs to all of you. :hug:

Dorothy and Omlette
and Dickens, of course

Thanks so much Dorothy...we decided against surgery for TedBear after much research and consideration.

TedBear recently started a new medication and is doing very well on it, we are really pleased and feeling more confident...

I'm actually giving it to Rupert too, he's more mildly affected.

Their eyes have cleared, TedBear particularly always looked like he had a headache. They are much easier to groom, TedBear used to pull away and get to as far away as possible on the grooming table - when I tried to do his ears he would just lie down, he looked absolutely miserable.

Rupert is happier to stand too, and is much more tolerant.

Rupert is barking a lot more - I *think* that's a good sign :lol:

They are both running more, TedBear particularly is demanding to have his toy thrown the whole time we are out walking...we used to just throw it about 6 times as we didn't want him to overdo it, now he's so excited and twirling again, something he'd stopped doing.

He does still scratch when excited, I think that is residual nerve damage so prob won't change.

Rupert's head posture has changed too, he had a very distinctive lowered head carriage before.

TedBear is still on the Gabapentin too, although I am going to try to reduce it to twice daily.

Nicki - What are you giving them now? that's wonderful that they're doing so well!! I love the twirling! Rory does that, too. :D

Nicki

Could you let me know what you are giving Tedbear and Rupert as well? It sounds a wonderful improvement!

Janine

I didn't get it... :? What email did you send to? I'll PM you w/ my email address. :) thanks!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and TedBear. I know you are hopping against hope that it is not SM. Please keep us posted, and I am very anxious to hear the outcome as I suspect my little 4 mo. old Lily may have SM. It would certinly give me hope if TedBear's MRI is negative for SM. I just still keep hoping that Lily's symptoms are from something other than SM, but I will not be shocked if she has it at this point. Hoping all goes well for you!!!!!

Shay, TedBear does have SM. The MRI report is on page three of this thread; the rest is treatment, basically, and combining conventional and alternative therapies :flwr: ;)

Oh My....So sorry I missed it. I just went back and read the report. I feel just awful for them. It is so sad to have 2 affected dogs. I absolutely agree about owners familiarizing themselves with this condition. Had it not been for this site, I would be blissfully unaware of SM, never imaging anything like that could possible be the cause of some of Lily's behavior. While I don't know whether she has it, at least now I will find out. It has taken some of the joy out of being a new puppy and Cav owner, because a week after I got her is when I started noticing some of the odd behavior. Now I just worry what the outcome will be, and if she does have it, what kind of life will she have. BUT.....I would rather know something is wrong with her, and have some of the joy of being a new Mom be lessened, than be blissfully unaware, enjoying my new baby, and then find out much later she was sick, and it maybe be too late to help her.

Nicki....I am so sorry for you and I am glad that TedBear and Rupert have such a great Mom to care for them. I have always heard that God gives special need babies to parents who will give them the best possible life. I do believe this to be true.

Thanks for all the messages everyone. Just thought I would update you - Teddy is not doing so well at home - he is very restless and depressed, but is still enjoying his walks...

He's on quite a cocktail of medications and supplements, which have been helping.

We are going back to Glasgow on Monday 25th February to see the neurologist, so will keep you posted as to what they say when we get back {probably later that week as we are stopping with my friend}.

Sending positive thoughts to all those who are dealing with this horrid condition and of course to the precious dogs too.

I'm so sorry poor TedBear's struggling at the moment, Nicki. :(. Please send him our love.

Good luck on the 25th.

Oh Nicki....so sorry to hear TedBear isn't doing so well. This is just such a horrible disease and I cringe whenever I read about it. My heart goes out to everyone dealing with it. Thankfully TedBear is receiving such wonderful care and getting the medical attention he needs. Praying for a good visit and no progression. Hugs to gorgeous boy.

Please give Tedbear an extra cuddle and tell him for me what a lovely boy he is. I hope the 25th goes well. So sorry he hasn't been well. :hug:

Wish you the best. I'm sorry to hear Teddy is not doing well. His mri sounds just like what we're going through with our Madison--so I can understand your sorrow.

Back