• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New avatar rules & dimensions: please no signature pics

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks:

Many of you will have noticed that avatars are coming out at all sorts of sizes on the board. This is due to a software update I made to the board. We need to run the latest version to keep security elements up to date and avoid being hacked, but unfortunately neither of the two add-on programmes for this board that automatically resize avatars will work with the new board version.

So if people have avatars that are now very wide (eg wider than mine which you can see at the left -- that is the maximum width size), people need to take the fairly simple step of resizing their avatars and then relinking to them in their profile. I've explained how to do this here, along with the right sizing:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1671

I chose the small image size on Flickr as a matter of convenience for people as if you put your image there (it's a free account), you can then just get the code for the small size, which is a standard width (you click the 'different sizes' text on the right of your picture in the gallery). You don't have to do any resizing yourself. But you can also resize on your own computer or use another service where you can resize the image to the right dimensions. You can pick some smaller sizes too.

Note that the size is a bit larger than the old size I set for the board. If the resize programme gets updated I'll add it back in eventually.

If members feel the size is a bit too large, then we can set a smaller size and use photobucket or the thumbnail/square sizes. I'll put up a poll in a week or two when everyone has had the chance to get used to seeing the different sizes and think about it!

Karlin

Edited to add:

PS Please don't use signature pics -- pics in sigs always are controversial on boards as some people love them and some really hate them and for this reason sigs are often banned completely. I like text sigs however so am leaving them on. Instead, I've activated avatars. The point of having avatars on this board is that everyone can use a pic they love with their posts, and have them a consistent size. There are four photo gallery sections too which give lots of opportunities for sharing our favourite images too! :)

Re: New avatar rules and dimensions:

karlin said:
Note that the size is a bit larger than the old size I set for the board. If the resize programme gets updated I'll add it back in eventually.

If members feel the size is a bit too large, then we can set a smaller size and use photobucket or the thumbnail/square sizes.

oh yeah huh--that's why the graphics look sharper :eek: they're bigger. well, i know what my vote is going to be--i like how the avatars look, more puppy dog detail showing. :D but i don't know if this makes it take longer to load pages for people on dial up. that would be an important consideration, i think.

Oh no, you're fine. You can see by other avatars in the column (including mine) that yours is actually slightly smaller than the widest width. :) I've added a little more explanation in my first post that this only applies to avatars WIDER than mine currently is, as mine is the maximum width now. Some people had linked to really big pics as they were automatically resized before.

Thanks all for sorting this so quickly. I know it was a bit of a pain but I tried to do the easiest possible set of options. icon_thumbsup

I have dial up~ and to be honest with you the pages load pretty fast for me...about 5 seconds? I really like the larger size and the sharper detail.

Oh Janet

Those puppies are just darling, did you take those pictures.
Did you keep any puppies from the litter ?????????????

There should be instructions from Karlin on one of the folders, but if you go into your profile you can add it as an avatar, then cut and paste the html link into it, make sure you resize it though otherwise it is to big.

Hi Kimberly and welcome to the board. I prefer people use avatars and not place pictures in signatures, as there's always a split between people who don't like pics in sigs and those who do. Avatars allow people to use a picture that is a consistent size instead! Directions for using avatars are linked from this thread and doing so is very easy -- you just size it correctly then paste the link into the avatar section of your profile. We also have four photo galleries so there's lots of room to share additional pics!

Thanks!

Hi Melanie -- in your profile there's a blank space for pasdting in the avatar URL (which it looks like you've done!).

To resize it, you need to make it smaller either using photo imaging software on your own PC, or by resizing it at the site where it is hosted. As you have it on photobucket, you probably need to take it down to 75% of the current size -- you do that just be clicking in to edit the photo right on the site. After a few moments it should automatically resize here. You shouldn't even need to change the link.

I went to change my avatar and remove my sig photo, but I cant seem to find the blank space for avatars on my profile page. Am I missing the obvious??

Sorry about that -- I fixed it. I'd added a little program which is supposed to not give options to add in websites, avatars etc until you've had your account enabled. This is to stop spammers from registering and adding in website links. Unfortunately it seemed to completely remove the ability to edit your avatar! I pulled the code and it is back to normal now. Sorry to those of you who must have thought I'd devised a special torture regarding avatars... icon_yikes

Oh I am so late in replying !! Thank you everyone for the comments on the puppy photos ... no I did not keep any of the puppies - but several are very close and I hope to show one of the girls when she is older.

I will be planning a "play day" in the near future and maybe will be able to get some news ones to post as well.

If there is anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that would be interested in a playday please pm me and I will keep you updated. I am just thinking a nice day at the park and i will supply hot dogs and such!

Heritage Cavaliers said:
Oh I am so late in replying !! Thank you everyone for the comments on the puppy photos ... no I did not keep any of the puppies - but several are very close and I hope to show one of the girls when she is older.

I will be planning a "play day" in the near future and maybe will be able to get some news ones to post as well.

If there is anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that would be interested in a playday please pm me and I will keep you updated. I am just thinking a nice day at the park and i will supply hot dogs and such!

Janet did you take the pictures, they are adorable.

Glad they are so close by.

Back