Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is grease bad for dogs?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is grease bad for dogs?

    Last night Sadie got into some grease. Not only were her ears and face covered in grease but she ate alot of it too. She threw up several times in the night. Do you think I need to call the vet this morning or will she be ok. She is acting fine now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Keep an eye on her but she'll probably be okay. It just disagreed with her because she's not used to it. My ill informed sister fed several greasy chips to Daisy Boo a few weeks ago and she vomited several times the next morning (needless to say she's learned her lesson about feeding scraps to the dogs). However, after it had all gone out of her system she was fine. If she continues to vomit I would bring her to the vet.
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Do you mean food grease or petroleum grease? If the latter I'd call a vet immediately to be on the safe side -- oil or petroleum grease could be very dangerous.

    A bath should get food grease out of the coat but you may need to take special steps with car grease and should consult the vets on that.

    Just a side note -- I no longer have the automatic avatar resize program able to run on the board so people need to resize avatars themselves. There are directions and maximum dimensions here:

    http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1706

    My avatar is at the maximum size so you can also gauge by that. I'm hoping one of the many programmers who tinker with this board software program will devise a way to get the old program to work with this newer version of the board software then I won't have to ask people to do this! Thanks!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was food grease. I will keep an eye on her. She seems to be fine right now and hasn't thrown up since 4am

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Oh that's a relief! Both that it is food grease and that her tummy has settled. It might be a good idea to just phone the vets and ask if there's anything you should do as I don;t know if food grease in large amounts would be considered a problem.

    I'm just posting back to you re: your question over on the avatar thread too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It didn't even occur to me that it might be car grease
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Grease or any high fat foods can cause pancreatitis...


    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=335


    http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogd...ncreatitis.htm

    Watch her for continued vomiting, lethargy, listlessness,e tc.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •