• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Autarky - Summer. Adult dog food

Carol

Hello!

First post to Cavalier Talk.

My question is:- Does anyone know about Autarky dog food in the UK?

I am thinking about changing to it for my 2 cavaliers, although I would value any opinions if you have any?

I will get to grips with the profiles and sig blocks soon!

:D

Carol

Hi Carol - I have never seen it in any of the pet shops here - may be worth seeing what you vet says - my three are on James Welbeloved and are really into it.

Yes i have seen it and had a look at the ingredients..I think it still says "meat and animal derivatives" so I would not go use it.

Try to find something that lists the actual protein source - this will be beter quality. Sadly "meat and animal derivatives" can be whatever is left over from human food production and a lot of other unpleasant things too :(

Burns from www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk is very good, also James Wellbeloved {although Rupert struggles with his weight more on the latter, he stays skiinier on the Burns!!}

although Rupert struggles with his weight more on the latter

Hmmm, useful to know. Jaspar just weighed in with an extra 200 grams since he's been on James Wellbeloved so must lower the amount he gets. Maybe it is partly the size as the kibble is much laregr than the Royal Canin so I am probably giving him a bit more.

Yes it's really odd - it doesn't seem to fill them up as much either, and he definitely put on weight even when only on a very small amount. Have put him back on the Burns, he's not as hungry and it's coming off...

The JW is brilliant for TedBear...when I can get him to eat it, as he maintains better on it - he's always skinny!

I do like the JW though...

My two are on JWB but I give them the light/sensitive option. Maxx was supposed to get down to around 12-13 kg and so should have been eating around 120g a day - James (vet) told me to half it again and he's been having 30g twice a day. I soak it in boiled water and he never seems to be hungry. Charlie has about 40g twice a day but he is younger and more 'loony' in the way he burns his energy off!

Tbh, I don't have many health problems with either of mine either (save the syringo that Maxx has and we think Charlie has too) & I put that down to the pureness of the diet :flwr:

Back