Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bad news

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Rod, that's Shelby in your pic if I'm not mistaken... In her pink bandage and cone.

    Joanna I have PM'd you a comprehensive post on this subject from Laura Lang -- she does not like to see surgeries done on puppies that are still growing -- advises generally waiting til 18 months and offers several suggestions of what to do until then. You can read through her post and it will give you some things to go back and ask the vet. I'd want to know the grade, and unless there's some very compelling reason to do a surgery now I'd personally go with Laura's suggestions (but of course that is very much my own opinion and what I would do.... your mileage may vary!).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  2. #12
    Rod Russell Guest

    Default

    Karlin, you are correct; that is Shelby.

    Definitely, it is not normally wise to operate on the knees of a growing dog unless the luxation is SO bad that the dog cannot function or its pain is too great. Cavaliers seem to mature rather late, between 18 months and 2 years. A loose knee cap can pop out from time to time and still not cause the dog significant pain. So, if a Cavalier is under 18 months, I join Laura and the others in suggesting to its vet that surgery wait, unless the pain is too great for the dog to continue.

    Rod Russell
    Orlando, Florida USA

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    1,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    ....Joanna I have PM'd you a comprehensive post on this subject from Laura Lang -- she does not like to see surgeries done on puppies that are still growing -- advises generally waiting til 18 months and offers several suggestions of what to do until then......
    Karlin, do you have a link to this post, or can you pm it to me?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Yes, I'll PM it to you. I am going to ask Laura if it can be done up as a general post for the Library.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    8,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, that is my sweet Shelby Sue in the after pic. Unfortunately we had to have the surgery repeated immediately on the same knee and it did not hold. The surgery has a 92% success rate. At this point we won't do anything further, both of her knees are luxating. We will meet with the surgeon who did the surgeries sometime in the next month just to make sure we are doing everything we can (getting her weight down and giving glycoxflex). All of the others I've talked to who have had the surgery are just thrilled with the outcome.

    No need to rush into it though. If you're at a grade 3 or more it's already shot. So, as long as she's not in pain you can wait on the surgery until she is more fully grown. We had Shelby done at 1 year after watching her for 6 months. She is not in any pain and it doesn't affect her at all.

    We chose to do the surgery because of the possibility of severe arthritis as she ages and the chance of further knee damage. Now, we'll just have to be extra vigilant with her.

    The recovery process is a pain, only in that you have to so severely limit activity, but once it's over it's over completely and there are no restrictions.

    You'll be fine. Let me know if I can help.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the advice. I have to call UCD next week about an appointment but I've got what I need (thanks to Karlin) and I am going to be firm about it. I just want to get a grade and if it is low we are going to hold off and try alternatives. The fact is she is not in any pain and it is not holding her back. We feel she is too young for surgery and would prefer to wait until she is fully grown if possible.
    Thanks all,
    Joanna
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •