Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often to bathe a puppy??

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often to bathe a puppy??

Hello All!

How often is recommended for bathing a puppy (mine is 5 months) ... I've read once/month and I've also read once/week is OK. I gave mine a bath 2 weeks ago and would like to again soon (maybe tonight) b/c some friends are coming this weekend and he's smelling a tad doggy (prob due to the dog run!). Ok to bathe or should I hold off another week or two???

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How often to bathe a puppy??

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly
    Hello All!

How often is recommended for bathing a puppy (mine is 5 months) ... I've read once/month and I've also read once/week is OK. I gave mine a bath 2 weeks ago and would like to again soon (maybe tonight) b/c some friends are coming this weekend and he's smelling a tad doggy (prob due to the dog run!). Ok to bathe or should I hold off another week or two???
    I bath every two weeks, I can't stand that doggy smell.
    I know some people who have puppies that bath them every week.
    I would just use a puppy shampoo which is very gentle that is what I use
    and I Dudley is almost 2 1/2.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally wash mine once a month but I find that a really good brushing is good in between.
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Post Thanks / Like

I brush Dudley every day too, but now that the weather is getting nicer
    he is outside more and of course it is still a bit mucky I hate that smell.
    I have bought fresheners too, but he sleeps in our bed so I prefer
    him to be fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that Twinkle is much smellier than Daisy Boo and I do have to resist the urge to throw her in the bath more often. Daisy Boo has a lovely spicy smell and any dirt seems to roll off her. Twinkle is just a mucky pup icon_star

Loving the star emoticon for Twinkle
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Post Thanks / Like

i know what you mean about the doggy smell! Bailey sleeps w me too ... so its nice to have him fresher! I do have a puppy shampoo, so it sounds like I'm OK to give another bath ... its been 2 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly
    i know what you mean about the doggy smell! Bailey sleeps w me too ... so its nice to have him fresher! I do have a puppy shampoo, so it sounds like I'm OK to give another bath ... its been 2 weeks
    Go For It, nothing nicer than a beautiful fresh puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally wash them when they smell - which is 3-4 months, mine are quite clean (Woody is white and it brushes straight off), except for Busta's belly were wee gets on it - but if we are out walking and its wet normally washes itself - but if there is a special occassion they do get a bath.

Post Thanks / Like

Cody gets a bath every 6 weeks or so, she's much too lady like to get dirty unless i drag her through the playing fields. Gavin terrier is another story, i'm sure i could bring him to a desert and he'd still find a mucky puddle to wallow in.
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

Abbey is bathed every 6-8 weeks unless she gets really muddy. Most of the time we're able to just rinse off her feet or feathers. She's brushed a lot though, so that also helps.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)