• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Summertime ... How to keep your cav cool

Kimberly

With summer coming up soon ... and today being an unseasonably warm day ... I'm wondering about how will I keep Bailey cool during the weekdays in summer while I'm at work. I live in a NYC apartment, 5th Floor, and as heat rises, it does get HOT and gross up there in summer without running AC. Pre-pet, I would obviously run AC when I'm home, but keep it off during the day when I'm out. I'm not sure I can do that now having Bailey.

Do most people run AC for their pets on hot summer days, or all summer??? Or do people use fans and only run AC when they are home.

If I have to run the AC, of course I will, but my bill is sure to TRIPLE and it's already at $150 - $200 in summer as it is. EEEEEKKKKK!!!!!! icon_slapper

We run our air when we're gone. I think it's a good idea as Cavs do not handle heat well.
We're on a budget saver plan with our local company, each month is an average of our yearly bill. Maybe this is something you can look into.

Hot summer heat

We run our A/C here in Nebraska too during the day when we're not home. But, I keep it turned a little higher and run lots of fans. As my mom used to say, I have a "thing" about fans - I seem to feel blowing the air around keeps it cooler :lol: I don't think my girls could handle the heat w/o our A/C running - we have lots of humidity here too! I also notice that the girls usually lay in the kitchen or bathroom floors, but I'm gettin' ready to tear up carpet in the living room, so maybe those floors will be cooler this year too.

Sheri

During the summer when it gets hot we set the AC at around 80-82 degrees when we are gone. Because the AC takes a lot of the humidity out of the air, it doesn't feel as hot. And, like Sheri, we keep a couple fans running.

Just as an aside for breeders: Kris was at a seminar put on by Mrya Savant (I just know I miss-spelled her name), and she says that it is VERY important to keep your breeding boys cool. If an intact girl gets overheated, she'll recover in a very short time; but if a breeding boy gets overheated, it can affect sperm for something like 2 months. Myra says we want to really take care of our boys even more so than the girls!

Hi all,

I'm sooooooo jealous that you're talking about how to keep your cavs cool. It's meant to be spring time over here in england, but the other day we had hail-stones it was so cold. I'm still concerned Maisie (14 1/2 wks old) gets too cold on some of our early morning walks. I'll look forward to the day we have to put AC on in the car, meanwhile, I'll carry on trudging around in the cold, wet, muddy fields of England!

Jo
:roll:

hailstones, yikes!! It's springtime in New York City. Trees are budding. Had a bunch of good park days so far. But its def April rainy season at the same time!!!!

You;ll be the lucky one come summer. Summer in nyc is not cool!!! pun intended!

-k-

Dr Foster and Smith has a "cooling dog bed" that you can order online. You just fill it with water, it seems to do the trick for us. We have one for our Bulldog, Rudy as he can't handle the heat when it gets over 80 degrees. The web site is: www.drsfostersmith.com. The small ones, for dogs up to 25 pounds, are around $35.00 US and the medium, up to 60 pounds, are $50.00 US. We have had ours about 3 years and it has held up well and washes up nicely. I venture to say that we will be getting another one for the girls as they hang out in our sunroom most days and the AC isn't very effective in that part of our house.

JaneB

Jane I was just trying to remember where I'd seen those. I know many people swear by them.

Of course in Ireland we very rarely have to worry about keeping dogs COOL. More like DRY. icon_nwunsure

I keep my AC at around 82 like Bruce said. And keep all the windows and blinds shut to keep the heat out during the day. Then open them up at night if it's cool enough. That also saves AC.

But here in Davis the average is around 95F, so it's often not cool enough at night to open the windows.. . :?

I know what you mean as we here frequently have high temperatures. Our summers can be VERY hot. We also give the girls a little bowl of ice for them to lick on and they seem to like that too.
Julie and the girls

I saw a cooling vest also in the "For Love of Dogs Catalog". Not sure how well that would work. Mine like to lay out under the trees or ramp when I am home and yes I too run the air the pups when I am at work. I can tolerate the heat. They can not.

Back