• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Size question

Roxanne

I know this has been discussed a few times :) but I am still watching Colby's weights and wondering about how big he will be . He is getting tall and lanky ....guess its the gangly puppy stage !

He is 14 weeks old today and weighs 8.13 . he been gaining about 10-11 oz a week . I wonder when he will slow down ?? at this rate I am figuring he will be about 20 lbs ...........do you think thats right ?? Of course it doesnt matter but would like him to be close to the standard and was hoping he wouldnt get too much over 18 lbs.

also ...when do they reach their height ? and whats the normal length neck to tail ?

does anyone else have puppy/adult weights for this age ??

Roxanne,
I dont remember what Cedar was at that age, but she was just weighed yesterday. She's 10 months old and only weighs 10.9 lbs! She's a little one for sure!

Cedar is small !

Ooops I apologize .just realized I JUST asked this question a few weeks ago here :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi Roxanne,
No worries if you posted this question before. It's easy to forget when/what is posted sometimes. :)
Just for information, our Riley is 18 weeks old and weighs 12 pounds! He is gonna be a big boy I guess. Sounds to me like Colby will probably end up within the 13-18 pound breed standard.
We originally wanted a smaller Cav, but we got Riley. He will most likely be quite past the breed standard, but it really doesn't matter to us. We love him the way he is.
Unless you will be showing Colby, it may not matter if he doesn't quite fall within the standard. But he probably will.

Kayla is 1 year old and weighs 10.7lbs. she is small too. But we like her that way. She fits in our lap nicely. does anyone know if they grow after 1 year?? icon_nwunsure

Yes, they grow up til about 18 months. After age one, this is mostly filling out but they'll usually keep putting on weight -- especially boys tend to add a bit over the next 18 months or so. Not a huge amount but they do fill out. Many breeders say boys in particular will continue to fill out til age 2 or so.

Undersized (eg below 12 lbs or 13 lbs, or the bottom of the UK and US breed standard) dogs should never be bred, BTW, especially not to another small, undersized cavalier! There are very serious concerns about strength of bones and size of skull and risk of hydrocephalus when breeds start to be bred below their offical weights -- which is why we should, never, ever patronise anyone selling so called 'teacup' versions of breeds. There is no such thing -- this is breeding undersized dogs to other undersized dogs and you can be sure, none are health tested. Often these are litter runts bred to litter runts, and runts sometimes (though not always) are already small due to health problems.

Given that a small skull without adequate room for the brain is unfortunately close to the norm for cavaliers and is implicated in the onset of syringomyelia and brain herniation (eg forcing of the brain out through the hole in the base of skull into the spine as there's no room in the skull itself) no one should be deliberately forcing the skull into smaller and smaller sizes. This is such a very serious concern for the health of the individual doig and for the breed.

I know we all enjoy our dogs whatever the size but good breeders aim to keep dogs right within the standards. that's why some of the smaller or larger doglets are in pet homes -- as good breeders place them there as they should not be included in breeding programs. We get to love them then but we definitely shouldn't be breeding them. (y)

I agree Karlin. No-one should breed ANY breed of dog unless it fits within the breed standard...which includes weight ;)

Karlin,or anyone else .........we talked about weight,but, when do they reach their height and length ?

karlin said:
Undersized (eg below 12 lbs or 13 lbs, or the bottom of the UK and US breed standard) dogs should never be bred, BTW, especially not to another small, undersized cavalier!

Have no fear; Cedar's already had her day with the vet. ;)

Back