Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad news

I took Daisy Boo to the vet this morning for her kennel cough booster. Over the last couple of weeks we'd noticed that when she squats to go to the toilet she will sometimes raise her back right leg. I asked the vet to check it out and she told me she has a luxating patella icon_crying She's going to ring UCD and organise an appointment for surgery. As you can imagine we are absolutely gutted and can't believe she has to go through this. The only good thing about it is that she is not in any pain at all. In fact, had we not noticed this habit when she goes to the toilet it may have become a lot more advanced.
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this. At least she is not in pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Zola has just had her 2nd leg done back in Feb. If it's any consolation, the staff out in UCD are just fab. Aiden Mac Alinden (sp) was the doctor who did both legs and he couldn't have been more accomodating or sensitive to both our needs and Zola's, one example being he rang every night to tell us how she was getting on before and after the surgery.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor Daisy Boo - I hope all goes okay, let us know as soon as you hear anything from UCD.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Buster, That's great to hear. I hope Zola is doing well. I think it's only really hitting me now and I'm trying to think how we'll manage with Twinkle and everything. Of course I'll take time off work but I can't take the whole recovery time off and I'm worried about Twinkle interfering with bandages etc. They're only alone for a couple of hours a day so I'll have to see how it goes.
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that, i hope surgery goes well. I'm sure her Auntie Sandra will look after her
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear this, I hope the procedure goes well for her. icon_crssedfingers
    It's good you're very observant and caught this early.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Joanna, how old is she and how bad is the patella? Unless the patella is pretty bad, often vets don't want to do them til the dog is over a year old, as many times the knees will tighten.

See:

http://www.premiercavalierinfosite.c...arluxation.htm
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

really sorry to hear--i hope there's a chance of things improving without surgery, if she's young enough , like karlin says.

after surgery, if it's only 2 hours you leave them alone but there's a risk to the healing process, you could crate one of them, just for a couple of hours.
    belle spend last weekend here and together the two dogs got in some trouble during the night while we were sleeping, so the next night belle slept in her travel crate. when we got up, we found zack had gotten out of his pen, like the night before again, but the sweet thing was, he was laying right next to belle, right outside the door of her crate, chewing on a nylabone, clearly wanting to keep her company.

Rod Russell Guest

Luxating patellas are, unfortunately, fairly common among Cavaliers, affecting between 20% and 30%. Not all of them are bad enoug to need surgery, but any knee could get worse. Vets have been surgically repairing Cavaliers' knees for a long time. We had our first patellar surgery on a Cavalier back in the 1970s, and after the tedious healing process, the dog's leg was a good as new. Since then, for the most part, the surgeons and the surgical process has improved.

The is an article about luxating patellas at http://www.cavalierhealth.org/patellas.htm along with a photo of a Cavalier just after the surgery.

Rod Russell
    Orlando, Florida USA