• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chicken Leg!!

jo

Just come back from a nice sunday stroll with Maisie, my son, and my friend, her 2 kids and her springer spaniel. All was going well- dogs coming back when called, kids behaving, weather not too miserable for a change. Maisie then picked something up off the floor, pinned her ears right back (my signal for knowing she's doing something she shouldn't) and ran so far away I could hardly see her. :shock: Fortunately we live in a tiny village in the middle of the countryside so there was no danger of cars etc. After some careful positioning of the kids, we had her surrounded and one of the boys got quite close to her. He shouted "Maisie has got a chicken leg". I panicked because of the danger of chicken bones getting lodged in her throat. :yikes At this point I was picturing a chicken leg like you would see on your dinner plate in her mouth, but as I got closer realised it was actually a full, raw chicken leg which looked like it should still be on a live chicken, complete with red foot! :yuk: I was gagging at this point so my friend stepped in and saved the day. She checked the bone was still intact, but seems to think Maisie had a feast of the raw meat. I guess now I play the waiting game for the inevitable sickness and diarhoea. :yuk: This is the only time she has not come back to me when called, but it did warn me in one of the cavalier books I read, that they do it when it suits them. Lesson learnt!
:oops:

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

Disgusting!! What was an intact chicken leg doing there?

It begs the question--where's the REST of the chicken?!

Actually I wouldn't be too concerned at her attempted feast -- raw bones shouldn't cause any problem -- some of us on the board regularly feed raw meaty bones. Mine both had raw chicken wings for their meal today. :) When the bones are raw, they pretty much crunch them right down. It is cooked bones you need to worry about as they are hard and splinter into jagged edges. Dogs can generally handle some pretty disgusting stuff as well -- their stomachs are built to scavenge which means they can handle even rotting meat pretty well, not that you'd ever want to feed that by choice!! :shock: (though many dogs bury bones then dig them up and happily chew on them days or weeks or even months later... Ech. The dog I had as a kid used to very happily do this... :yuk: ).

How bizarre though that there was a leg lying around with the foot etc still attached! I also wonder where the rest of the chicken went!

:jump:

Where's the rest of the chicken?.........

All I'm saying is that some very strange country folk around here! ;)
Thanks for putting my mind at rest though, I had visions of setting my alarm clock every hour during the night to make sure she was ok.

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

I bet she'll be fine (but dreaming of the rest of that darn chicken...). :slp:

Back