Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diarrhea woes

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Laura,

Buddy (6 months) had the same problem- inconsistent diarreah for about a month and a half. It started when I switched him (slowly) to Canidae. The Metronizodole worked but only kept the diarrhea at bay for a week or two at most. After a few weeks, he was also put on the Eukanuba low-res but then, after a week (was still on prescriptions), got sick again. At this point, we thought it could be a food allergy (the most common ones are to a type of protein, wheat). After a week on prescription allergy food (it is made of soy and looks and smells like Corn Pops!), I switched Buddy to California Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy with a tablepoon of pumpkin and he has been fine. I think the simpler formula of his current food keeps his tummy more settled. Also, it only has lamb protein and rice and a few vitamins (good for sensitive tummies!). I have slowly incorporated Bully Sticks back into his diet and have found a nice treat that is almost pure chicken (Pro-Treat Freeze Dried Chicken) and he has not had any problems

Good luck with Riley... I know how frustrating it is! Don't expect the vet to diagnose diarrhea- neither mine nor zack's (from what I read) were really diagnosed with anything except colitus. Keep Riley on the chicken and rice for a few more days and try the simpler food (lamb is supposed to be easier too on the stomach)- I think Natural Balance also makes a Duck and Sweet Potato Formula for allergy sufferers.

Let us know how it turns out!

Jackie

Post Thanks / Like

natural balance has a duck and potato formula which several people have reported was well tolerated by their dogs. Zack was on it for a while, i was mixing the canned and dry versions together. Then one day he refused to eat it. He doesn't like duck and potato, but he did do fine on it. I switched to natural balance lamb and rice formula, canned and dry, and he's ok on that too, but i think he gets bored with stuff. Recently I gave him Wellness Lamb and sweet potato canned food mixed with Royal Canin dry food, i can't remember the name of the kind of Royal Canin it is, but it has a tri cavalier pictured on the bag and says it's for small dogs that are prone to obesity. The store where i got it had many choices of dry food but i don't think i saw a sensitive one. I was looking. I'd like to try that.

Zack has shown no signs of having any problems with different foods, digestion/diarrhea-wise. No matter what i feed him, the stool is the same, normal.

for the first time since early March, he had the worst diarrhea he's ever had Sunday before last, i got up in the morning and it was all over the kitchen. the poor little guy started with my mat that's in front of the sink, trying to use some kind of pad type thing, but apparently it kept coming and it was everywhere, took a long time to clean up. (i know he started on the mat because the firmer stool was on it. then, there was lots of not firm stool everywhere else).

I knew that it had to have been something he ate that he shouldn't have, i knew it wasn't the same as that other illness he had. Then, I found a greenie in the living room. I thought i had thrown them all away after the problems i'd learned of, of intestinal blockage that happens in some dogs, but he found one some place and it was partly eaten. I threw it away. A little later he vomited and there were a couple of good sized pieces of greenie in his vomit. then later, that afternoon, he had a loose stool outside, and there was some bright green stuff in it, not yellowish green but green green. Proof that greenies sure don't agree with him. i

t was a relief to me to have a simple explanation of why he had been sick, after the ordeal of his mystery illness when i first got him. He's been fine since that one day he had the diarrhea in the kitchen. I did give him just boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days, and gave him some tylan with it for a few days.

Karlin, thanks for the encouragement to let Zack have his bully sticks again. He is soooo happy. i'm happy to see him enjoying those again, they were always his favorite thing.

Jackie, i'm so glad Buddy is doing better.

Laura, i hope that worm medicine helped, i hope Riley, and you, are feeling better.

Post Thanks / Like

I put Jake on CA Natural chicken and rice with a spoonful of pumpkin and that really seemed to clear him up. I was told that because CA Natural has so few ingredients it was good for dogs with allergies...and it was. Knock on wood...it's been absolutely ages since we've had a diahrea problem. I was just thinking about that this morning when I was picking up poop!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

My 9 month-old just had a couple bouts of really bad diarrhea (lots of blood/mucus in the stool as well) and my vet gave him anti-bios then put him on a high fiber prescription dog food. I gave him the high fiber exclusively for about a month and have been giving him 1/2 and 1/2 the high fiber and his regular puppy for for the last week and he seems to be doing fine. Vet said some dogs are prone to "colitis" from either eating something that their system reacts to (he's a little scavenger for sure) or stress. He doesn't seem to be a stressed out dog, so I'm hoping it was just something he ate or will grow out of.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pseub
    i'm in the los angeles area too.

i think my dog zack might be colitis prone, in the sense your vet was saying, meaning if he eats something he shouldn't, he will tend to get diarrhea. The last dog i had before this, a long time ago, never never never had diarrhea in my house in 13 years. Zack has it when i first got him, probably from too many worms in his GI tract, and has had only an isolated diarrhea now and then since the worm treatment. no bloody diarrhea since the beginning.

i have a question--when zack had colitis, a vet put him on ID diet, which was referred to as a "low residue" food. I thought low residue meant low fiber but am not sure. I would think high fiber might not be the best thing for colitis--but if it helps, that's great. And it's great if the antibiotics helped. They didn't help zack for more than a few days.

About puppy food--I've heard it could be too rich or too stimulating of growth such that bones grow out of proportion to other tissue. Might be worth looking into more.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend who had two dogs who got diarrhea fairly often told me that her vet recommended giving nothing but rice and cottage cheese, and she says that it worked every time. I haven't tried it but thought i would pass it along.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Judy! Glad to know there are some other LA Cavalier people here. Are there any LA Cav groups or gatherings that you know about? We're not far at all from your neck of the woods, so if you'd ever like to get the pups together for a "play date", let me know.

When Byron had his bouts of diarrhea, I gave him just rice and boiled chicken for a few days at the vet's recommendation. When combined with the antibiotics, it really did seem to settle his system down quickly. And if I notice his stools getting a little loose now, I pull his food for a day or so and just give the white rice and it seems to clear him right up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

India and Geordie both had many bouts of diarrhea when they were younger. They were treated with panacur and flagyl several times, but nothing seemed to last. Finally the vet cultured a stool sample and sent it to the university veterinary service where they found a clostridium infection that was producing toxins in their systems. Both pups were treated with Tylan, a powder that is used to treat farm animals. I had to put 1/16 of a teaspoon in their food everyday for at least 2 months. It finally did the trick!

After my pups had worms several times, the vet recommended taking them off Revolution (drops for all parasites) and putting them on Interceptor for worms (including heartworm) and Frontline for fleas, ticks, lice. We never had a problem with worms again!

Some bully sticks seem to have a brown coating on them, and my dogs get diarrhea from that. I only buy the lighter 'golden' colored bullies now.

Another cause of serious diarrhea - colitis - is from the pups eating acorns, twigs, bark mulch, etc. We moved recently to get away from oak trees.

California Natural lamb and rice -and- Innova Evo are two brands of food that agree with our 3 cavs.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)