• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many of you work outside the home

Do you work outside the home?

• Yes, full-time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, part-time

• No

• Total voters

Jen

I'm curious as to how many of us work outside the home. We both do, and have a dog walker come midday for Abbey. We also have two cats so she's not totally alone, however, we are planning on getting another dog for her--and us of course! We've run into problems when we've applied for applications for dogs due to the fact that we both work. I'm just curious to see how many people work outside the home as well.

I'm generally home, but I go off to do work-related things or spend a bit of time in the office quite regularly. The dogs would be home alone if I am going out in the evening, too, as I live alone. They are usually alseep in their room when I come home, though sometimes I can see they have taken toys out of their toybox and once I caught them wrestling on the bed. :lol: In this sense I would have more of a part-time work schedule as I am not home all day, every day.

i work full time (40 hours a week) outside the home, as i'm also a single mother, but i have a fantastic neighbour who walks harry and ebony at lunch time for an hour along with her 2 dogs, i also walk them each morning.
aswell as the walks they play in the garden too.

so, even though i work i feel that my 2 have a better life than some dogs who are ignored by their "at home" owners!!!

my situation is same as Jen ... I work out of home. I was in advertising but just changed jobs, now in marketing, so I'm expecting my hours will be better, closer to 9 to 5. The ad world is CRAZY hours. I too, have a dogwalker come mid-day for Bailey. I'm also considering doggie daycare. It's the same cost as my walker, per day, and with summer coming, I'd save on running the AC. I'm thinking of doing the doggie daycare maybe 2x per week, and keep the walker the other 3 days. 8)

I work full time and have a 2 hour round trip journey each day... and studying on top of that!!
Luckily my husband works very near to home and has a quite flexible schedule so it works well.

I left my job in the military (12yrs) because it was involving too much time away from home, my husband, and my 4yr old boy. :cry*ing: I'm loving my "gap year" that I'm on at the moment until my son starts primary school. I've gone from probably one of the most structured work environments, to being a full-time mum, and housewife. Getting used to only one wage was difficult, but we're all more content now. :D I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!!! I only plan to work part-time when Harry starts school, so I'll be able to spend time with him and little Maisie. Oh yeh, maybe even the husband. ;)

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

I work part time now but hope to give up work altogether this summer to be a stay at home mum. Can't wait :*nana: :v*cuum:

I have to say that I really admire those that make the decision to be a stay at home Mum. My Mum was one and I would never change a thing about our family life growing up! She gave up her job when I came along (being eldest!) and never looked back ....

I can't imagine staying at home full time..... I feel I'd miss the social interaction and grown up talk and being exposed to hugely different things each day. Never knowing what the day will end like ..... HOWEVER, I have no kids so maybe at some stage in the future if that changes, my views may also vary ..... I've seen it happen to some people I know and I know that I have different priorities today than I had say 4/5 years ago .......

The game of life huh .....
Lorraine - I think the idea of the white picket fences and country living is nice but be careful what you wish for .... I had that (albeit traditional stone walls instead of white fences ) and living in Dublin for 7 years now, I much prefer it.

I guess the grass is always greener and all that. One thing we have going for us though, when we do make the move to the country, our kids will still be young enough to move back to Dublin if it doesn't work out. It'd be ten times harded to do if we had teenagers with friends and social lives. TG they are still babies.

being exposed to hugely different things each day. Never knowing what the day will end like .....

That sounds like every day with a 4yr old :jump:

I always planned a long career without children. Even when pregnant I was going to send my child to a boarding school as soon as I could.............Wasn't quite expecting the maternal pull to be so strong. Oh how things changed!!! :v*cuum: :D

See things may/ will change !!!

My Dad was a boarder in his day and I remember when it came time for us to go to secondary school (age 12 as not sure if it's the same name in UK / junior high in US) he was not on for boarding, although up to us ... we decided against it !!

jo said:
I was going to send my child to a boarding school as soon as I could.............Wasn't quite expecting the maternal pull to be so strong. Oh how things changed!!! :v*cuum: :D

Give it another 2 years with a boy and the boarding school will sound soooooooo appealing!!!!!

my son is 6 and i seem to :bang: most days

Until very recently I managed a mortgage group (25 employees)and quite frankly, after the past 5 years of interest rate insanity, I was burned out. In addition to that position, I also have been doing the interior design work for my husband's custom home business for many years. (Sleep wasn't even an option!) Fortunately, our construction contracts have picked up in the past several months and I can now work with John full time. I'm LOVING it! John and I have such separate roles that we can maintain some autonomy and not get on each others nerves. My girls get to go most places with me when I'm out doing selections or we all three sit in my office chair while I'm working at my desk in our home office. I feel like I'm on a constant vacation now. After years and years of 10-12+ hour days along with all the management/staffing headaches :sl*p: I am FREE AT LAST! :*nana: and oh, so lucky!

JaneB

I'm a full-time primary teacher and my school is only 5 minutes from home but I am still away from home about 8 hours. However the girls have the run of the family room, kitchen laundary area and my son also works only 5 minutes from home so he is at home for his lunch for nearly an hour in the middle of the day so this breaks the day up for them. Plus they have each other for company. I think this is why they started sleeping with us because we felt a bit guilty that they had been on their own all day :( . When we are home they are always with us with Lottie often on my lap when I am on the computer :)
Julie and the girls

Harry's mom said:
imy 2 have a better life than some dogs who are ignored by their "at home" owners!!!

I chose to stay at home to raise my children, and take offense to your
comments that some dogs are ignored by their at home owners.

This does not apply to us all you know .

I have 3 boys, and would never send them to boarding school.
Yes it is not easy raising children but I would never dream of sending
them away.

which is why i said....my 2 have a better life than some dogs who are ignored by their "at home" owners
noting the word IGNORED,
i didn't mean it that all dogs are ignored by their at home owners, but some are. i don't think working should stop you owning a dog aslong as you have things set in place for them to ensure their happiness.
there is a lovely GSD who roams the streets all day and night, his owners don't work!

my son has ADHD, and some days i would do anything for just 5 mins peace, he's on the go from 6am until sometimes 11pm!!!!

No not all dogs are "IGNORED" by stay at home moms.
Believe me Dudley gets plenty of attention, and I do agree with you
that working outside the home should not stop you from owning a dog.

I know people who who will not allow dogs inside the home.
They can be such a comfort to us all, sorry to hear about your son.
Here in Canada they would offer a single mom such as yourself help.

Do they not have such a program as Big Brothers, this is men that
are screened carefully and will come and spend the day with your
little guy take him to the zoo, park anywhere to help burn up some of
his energy to give you time alone.

This program is usually for Single Moms, I know a little boy that has
the same and he never stops. Sorry I am sure it must be difficult for you,
I could send my 3 over for a few weeks in the summer and they could entertain him for you and give you a break.

i was a stay at home mom until mark started school full time, but as i'm a single mum i have to work to provide for them. there dad won't pay anything towards their upkeep!!!!

i would love to be able to stay at home full time but financially i need to work (which i do 40 hours a week)

No we don't have any support for him, "big Brothers" would be fab, so he got to do typical boy things like fishing and football. especially as they don't see their father

Harry's mom said:
i was a stay at home mom until mark started school full time, but as i'm a single mum i have to work to provide for them. there dad won't pay anything towards their upkeep!!!!

i would love to be able to stay at home full time but financially i need to work (which i do 40 hours a week)

No we don't have any support for him, "big Brothers" would be fab, so he got to do typical boy things like fishing and football. especially as they don't see their father

Guess things are different over there, the Government here would go
after his Dad for support for you. So soooooory, must be draining.

Yes the Big Brothers Association are just volunteers who give so much
time a week for children with Single Parents either way.

Yes he would get to do anything he wanted to do, if he wanted to go fishing thats where they would take him.
Harry and your new foster hopefully help to distract Mark and give you
that extra lovin that Cavs give so well.

I used to volunteer when I was younger to something similar but it
was for little girls.
Now not much time, life is so hectic.

Shame on his Dad, that really really makes me angry. icon_devil

Try and have yourself a good wkd, and glad I spoke to you.
Sometimes we don't realize how hard it is for others until you get talking
to them.
So sorry once again that nothing like that exist for you, it would be lovely
for you to have some down time.

I have one child who has a Learning Disability, one of his previous teachers bonded with him so well even to this day she still comes
and takes him out.

She is now retired and a lovely lovely person.

I work full-time in my home office and Chester is my constant companion! I'm the web designer/developer for a games publisher located an hour away from my home. With a cable modem and instant messenger it's like being in the office anyway since I can chat with my boss all day long.

Back