Thread: Luxating patellas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Luxating patellas

Hi,
    I am new, I live in North Carolina and thrilled to find this forum. I like the rest of you have fallen in love with the Cavalier. I have a 16 month old cavalier that is beautiful. I searched to find a good breeder and also searched information about health issues. I just found out in Jan. My boy(Rudy) has luxating patellas. One is a grade 1 and the other is a 2. He isn't showing any signs except with rough play with a visiting dog he may show signs of a stiffer back leg for a minute or two. The vet put him on Synovi 3, C,E, and A vit. She wants me to get him in a trot going up hill for 10min. 2x a day. She thinks he will have to have surgery at some point but wants to try this for a while. I would appreciate any advice.
    Pam Smith
    PAM SMITH
    Rudy((Blenheim Cav), Lizzie and Toby(Shih tzus)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a read through this:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/v...hp?p=3386#3386

and this:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1731

There are others who have had the surgery and so forth who I am sure will post comments too. Oh and welcome to the forum!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

to the board, Pam.

So sorry to hear about the luxating patellas. Surgery is usually the best way to go. Good luck.
    Best wishes,
    Hazel
    Cleo and Mia

Post Thanks / Like

Really the luxating patellas are not a huge deal. I mean, immediately they are, but the good thing is that surgery is available and is 92% effective. The great thing is that after the surgery there are usually no further problems. Don't let my experience with Shelby cloud your judgement. We are definitely not the norm. We see our surgeon this month to be sure we have done all we can.

Sounds like your vet has you on the right track. Perhaps with exercise and time the patella may tighten up on it's own...wouldn't that be great? If not you do have options.

Keep us posted on his progress.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah