Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I introduce Dudley to Darby ?????????

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, was very worried when I got my 2nd one, so much so that the breeder offered to take her back if I had a problem. But I didn't have to worry. I can't really remember a growl or a snip. Within a day or two they were curled up together. They are just gorgeous.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, don't panic - I would definitely take Dudley.

I am sure Dudley is going to love him - might by good to get the new smell of him now...... they are really a great breed.

Woody and Ozzy are the terrible twins now and at first Woody was don't touch that or don't come near me for a couple of day - I am sure his nose was put out of joint as he was the furbaby for all that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd take Dudley and just do your normal routine. Sandy's advice is excellent -- be careful not to overly fuss over Darby and pay extra attention to Dudley. Dudley's nose will probably be out of joint for a short while when he realises the puppy isn't going away but pups have a way of getting bigger dogs wrapped around their paws. I bet they will be playing frantically within days.

Not being anxious is very important. As Sandy notes they do pick up on your anxiety so just relax and let them get on with it. Supervise all interactions for a good while though and as Sandy says don;t leave them alone together for a good while either, til you know their relationship is stable and safe.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So Linda, how many more minutes before you pick up Darby to bring him home?

As they said in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "Don't Panic"! Just do the introductions slowly and don't try to force the introduction too much. Then just play it by ear. I have never heard of a second cavalier coming into a home that didn't work out. It may take a couple hours, it may take a couple weeks, or it may be somewhere in between. But they WILL become best buddies.

Calm, Calm

Sorry, Linda, I couldn't resist! I really do just love it when people are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.

That is so kind Bruce but you can tell that Linda has so much love for her Dudley and so much to give her darling new Darby
    Julie and the girls

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    So Linda, how many more minutes before you pick up Darby to bring him home?

As they said in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "Don't Panic"! Just do the introductions slowly and don't try to force the introduction too much. Then just play it by ear. I have never heard of a second cavalier coming into a home that didn't work out. It may take a couple hours, it may take a couple weeks, or it may be somewhere in between. But they WILL become best buddies.

Calm, Calm

Sorry, Linda, I couldn't resist! I really do just love it when people are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.

Okay Bruce, Not exactly sure of pick up time but estimation would be
    17, 280 MINUTES until he comes home.

I am sure it won't take longer than a few weeks and if it does I will deal with it one MINUTE at a time.

Bruce
    You touched my heart, I know to others I may seem a bit frantic but
    I just want what is best for them. I know that my breeder actually feels
    this way too.
    Bless you Bruce, I was just feeling a bit nervous yesterday and I want
    to get it all out of my system before my 17, 278 minutes are up.

This way like Sandy said I will be prepared.

Just in case I have'nt mentioned it lately.

[size=6][/size]
    I LOVE YOU GUYS

Karlin

I think I will feel better if I take Dudley.
    Of Course I will touch base with my breeder next week.
    She is so involved in the health of Cavaliers she never sits still.

This is a wonderful thing.

[/b]
    Sandy

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I want to get it all out of my system now, feeling a bit better today.
    I feel so good knowing that I have such support and knowledge behind
    me on this board.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

You are very welcome. I love to see owners really excited about the arrival of a new pup. Everyone understands your worries - most of us have been there.
    Cavaliers are rather amazing. I had a 6.5 year old rescue come into my home (talk about worry). She had spent the first 6 years of her life in a cage and was the most unsocialized cavalier I'd ever met. Her first rescue mom said she did nothing but hide in her house for over 5 months. BUT- 2 days in my house, surrounded by cavaliers- she would play and romp like a pup. It took a lot longer to get her to trust humans. But I believe that the cavaliers were a key to her "recovery". Cavaliers seem to recognize each other (like long lost relatives).

Post Thanks / Like

When you get number three Linda, you will be an expert about introducing an new one!!!!

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven
    You are very welcome. I love to see owners really excited about the arrival of a new pup. Everyone understands your worries - most of us have been there.
    Cavaliers are rather amazing. I had a 6.5 year old rescue come into my home (talk about worry). She had spent the first 6 years of her life in a cage and was the most unsocialized cavalier I'd ever met. Her first rescue mom said she did nothing but hide in her house for over 5 months. BUT- 2 days in my house, surrounded by cavaliers- she would play and romp like a pup. It took a lot longer to get her to trust humans. But I believe that the cavaliers were a key to her "recovery". Cavaliers seem to recognize each other (like long lost relatives).
    Sandy:

You are so sweet, thanks for the kind words also.
    When I brought Dudley home I was the same way but just was not lucky
    enough to have all this support.

I think you have a special way with your pups Sandy.
    In Toronto, you really don't see alot of people with Cavaliers they don't know what they are missing.

Claire:
    Will you guys be able to handle me at the point of #3.
    That won't happen until I retire, which is a bit away unless I win the
    lottery then the lot of us can retire.
    Share the wealth.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old