• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do I introduce Dudley to Darby ?????????

Linda

I know it is still a little over 3 weeks away, but I want to start to prepare
myself.
Any ideas on how I should introduce Dudley to Darby, I know Laurie
mentioned they should meet outside. But Dudley will most likely
be with us when we go to pick him up.

Any idea's, oh and I was also planning on bringing Dudley to visit.

What do you all think, my husband said Dudley is coming.
The breeder said he can come for a visit, but I really don't think I will
be going back again, so it will only be the one visit.
I have a new Snuggle Puppy, I did not have one of these for Dudley till
after he came home (Poor Boy).
So do I put the Snuggle Puppy in my bed a week or so before my visit so
our scent will be on it ???????

You know, I have forgotten so much stuff and it only seems like a few
months ago that we brought Dudley home.

I want to make this transition for Dudley easy. I hope he does not
sulk.

Also a little worried in case Dudley starts marking inside the house, do
you think this will be a problem and if so do I just correct that with a
'FIRM NO" and put him outside.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I don't want to wait till
the last minute. I really really think that Dudley will be happy to have
a playmate he is just so sociable with other dogs.

I would recommend removing all the toys out of the way, so Dudley doesn't get jealous if Darby touches anything - better to introduce new toys to Darby (and a few new ones for Dudley) when he arrives.

When we came back with Woody we made a big fuss of Busta and then Darren placed Woody on the rug - Busta went of and sniffed him and then and then they sort of sorted it out, if Woody went to far Busta gave a warning growl and a snap if necessary (we did have to remove the pig ear as Woody started eating that and had a go at Busta - this is what we think gave him the upset stomach in the first place so remember to move treats also).

After that they fell asleep on Darren together and were fine, there were a few arguments nothing major. Just remember that you have to make sure that Dudley is seen as Alpha Male, stroke him first, treat him first, feed him first, etc.

It sounds like I should be leaving Dudley home when I go to pick up
Darby.
I know that I will most likely have some jealousy issues at first but
that will settle I was just more concerned on whether I could take
Dudley with us when we went to pick Darby up and bring him home,
I am going to see how he does on his visit.

My husband does not like to go anywhere without Dudley and he will
be left alone a bit the day before pick up as we have a wedding to attend.

When my breeder finishes up with the eye and heart clinic I will touch base
with her and see what she thinks too.

Thank you for replying Claire, this is all new to me, so just wanted some
input.

I am no expert Linda, but I thought that sometimes they say it is a good idea for them to meet on neutral territory or at least it is for Dudley. I think that it is a good idea too, to check with your breeder to see what she recommends. It is getting exciting isn't it?
Julie and the girls

Just make sure the breeder is okay, if the puppies haven't had any injections she may not want any other dogs near at this stage.

Claire said:
Just make sure the breeder is okay, if the puppies haven't had any injections she may not want any other dogs near at this stage.

Claire
When I asked her about bringing Dudley before she said it was okay.
She is also Dudley's breeder.
I will check with her again though.

Remember to keep expectations realistic. When we got our second cavalier-- the first one wouldn't even look at him. He would try to play, pull her ear etc... and she would pretend he didn't exist (for over 2 weeks). When we got our third-- the second cavalier drolled for three days straight. I kept checking his mouth thinking he MUST have a bad tooth. Nope-- just two different ways the dogs dealt with a newcomer.
Give the newbie a lot less attention than your current cavalier-- don't give favorite toys or special treats when they are together. Try not to give them(him) any reason to get mad at the new pup. Don't leave them alone until you are secure that they get along. Don't stress-- dogs pick up on that and remember to have fun. Sandy

great advice Sandy, even if you do everything by the book as far as introductions, they will decide how to relate. When I got my Lhasa puppy, my 6 year dog wouldn't come downstairs or eat for several days. It took her 1 year to get over it completely.

:shock: That would be a long time. It took Jaspar about three days to figure out Leo wasn't leaving and he was going to have to share the dogbeds. :lol:

I took Jaspar with me when I went to get Leo. I don;t think it really matters one way or another. If Dudley likes the car ride I'd take him along if you want. If he finds the rides tiring or stressful I'd leave him at home. You will likely have the puppy in a crate anyway for transport and Dudley likewise or otherwise restrained so there isn't going to be a lot of interaction in the car. The puppy will likely just sleep. :)

karlin said:
:shock: That would be a long time. It took Jaspar about three days to figure out Leo wasn't leaving and he was going to have to share the dogbeds. :lol:

I took Jaspar with me when I went to get Leo. I don;t think it really matters one way or another. If Dudley likes the car ride I'd take him along if you want. If he finds the rides tiring or stressful I'd leave him at home. You will likely have the puppy in a crate anyway for transport and Dudley likewise or otherwise restrained so there isn't going to be a lot of interaction in the car. The puppy will likely just sleep. :)

PHEW :huh:

I was starting to panic, I don't really think that Dudley will take that
long to adjust to Darby he is such a sociable little guy and just loves
everybody.

Karlin: I have had many different opinions on this and was starting to
feel anxious I guess. My husband will go nowhere without Dudley
and that is how it should be he is the idle of our eye. Although
we are getting another Cavalier we are not doing it just for us but
mostly for Dudley.
He sits at the front door and cries when he see's other doggies
outside.
My main concern was that I did not know whether I should bring
him when picking him up or not. I see that many have different
opinions on this, I will see how he reacts when we go for our
visit. I will speak with my breeder next week and see what she
thinks, she has no problem at all with me bringing Dudley to
see the other puppies.
Dudley loves the :drivecar: Karlin and anytime we are getting
ready to go anywhere he always comes along.
I think he would be more hurt if I left him at home and came
home with a new dog.
Darby would be crated, and Dudley would be in his Seatbelt so
he can check him out as I will face the crate towards him.

Sorry I have never had two dogs before and for some reason
today felt overwhelmed.
Thanks for all your wonderful responses, I can't wait.
Plus my hubby plans on putting our xpen up again so Darby
will be put in the xpen mainly in the morning when I am busy
with the children and I will let them interact in the afternoon
when it is quiet.
:mexwav:

I, too, was very worried when I got my 2nd one, so much so that the breeder offered to take her back if I had a problem. But I didn't have to worry. I can't really remember a growl or a snip. Within a day or two they were curled up together. They are just gorgeous.
Julie and the girls

Linda, don't panic - I would definitely take Dudley.

I am sure Dudley is going to love him - might by good to get the new smell of him now...... they are really a great breed.

Woody and Ozzy are the terrible twins now and at first Woody was don't touch that or don't come near me for a couple of day - I am sure his nose was put out of joint as he was the furbaby for all that time.

I'd take Dudley and just do your normal routine. Sandy's advice is excellent -- be careful not to overly fuss over Darby and pay extra attention to Dudley. Dudley's nose will probably be out of joint for a short while when he realises the puppy isn't going away but pups have a way of getting bigger dogs wrapped around their paws. I bet they will be playing frantically within days. :)

Not being anxious is very important. As Sandy notes they do pick up on your anxiety so just relax and let them get on with it. Supervise all interactions for a good while though and as Sandy says don;t leave them alone together for a good while either, til you know their relationship is stable and safe.

So Linda, how many more minutes before you pick up Darby to bring him home? :lol: :lol:

As they said in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "Don't Panic"! Just do the introductions slowly and don't try to force the introduction too much. Then just play it by ear. I have never heard of a second cavalier coming into a home that didn't work out. It may take a couple hours, it may take a couple weeks, or it may be somewhere in between. But they WILL become best buddies.

Calm, Calm :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Linda, I couldn't resist! I really do just love it when people are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.

Bruce H said:
are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.

That is so kind Bruce but you can tell that Linda has so much love for her Dudley and so much to give her darling new Darby :lotsaluv:
Julie and the girls

Bruce H said:
So Linda, how many more minutes before you pick up Darby to bring him home? :lol: :lol:

As they said in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "Don't Panic"! Just do the introductions slowly and don't try to force the introduction too much. Then just play it by ear. I have never heard of a second cavalier coming into a home that didn't work out. It may take a couple hours, it may take a couple weeks, or it may be somewhere in between. But they WILL become best buddies.

Calm, Calm :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Linda, I couldn't resist! I really do just love it when people are SO excited and nervous about their new puppy. That tells me that they really, truly care and that they will do just fine. You are the kind of person I look for when we talk to people about our litters.

Okay Bruce, Not exactly sure of pick up time but estimation would be
17, 280 MINUTES until he comes home. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

I am sure it won't take longer than a few weeks and if it does I will deal with it one MINUTE at a time. :yikes

Bruce
You touched my heart, I know to others I may seem a bit frantic but
I just want what is best for them. I know that my breeder actually feels
this way too.
Bless you Bruce, I was just feeling a bit nervous yesterday and I want
to get it all out of my system before my 17, 278 minutes are up.
:sl*p:
This way like Sandy said I will be prepared.

Just in case I have'nt mentioned it lately.

I LOVE YOU GUYS :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv:

Karlin

I think I will feel better if I take Dudley.
Of Course I will touch base with my breeder next week.
She is so involved in the health of Cavaliers she never sits still.

This is a wonderful thing.

[/b]
Sandy

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I want to get it all out of my system now, feeling a bit better today.
I feel so good knowing that I have such support and knowledge behind
me on this board.

You are very welcome. I love to see owners really excited about the arrival of a new pup. Everyone understands :flwr: your worries - most of us have been there.
Cavaliers are rather amazing. I had a 6.5 year old rescue come into my home (talk about worry). She had spent the first 6 years of her life in a cage and was the most unsocialized cavalier I'd ever met. Her first rescue mom said she did nothing but hide in her house for over 5 months. BUT- 2 days in my house, surrounded by cavaliers- she would play and romp like a pup. It took a lot longer to get her to trust humans. But I believe that the cavaliers were a key to her "recovery". Cavaliers seem to recognize each other (like long lost relatives).

When you get number three Linda, you will be an expert about introducing an new one!!!!

WoodHaven said:
You are very welcome. I love to see owners really excited about the arrival of a new pup. Everyone understands :flwr: your worries - most of us have been there.
Cavaliers are rather amazing. I had a 6.5 year old rescue come into my home (talk about worry). She had spent the first 6 years of her life in a cage and was the most unsocialized cavalier I'd ever met. Her first rescue mom said she did nothing but hide in her house for over 5 months. BUT- 2 days in my house, surrounded by cavaliers- she would play and romp like a pup. It took a lot longer to get her to trust humans. But I believe that the cavaliers were a key to her "recovery". Cavaliers seem to recognize each other (like long lost relatives).

Sandy:

You are so sweet, thanks for the kind words also.
When I brought Dudley home I was the same way but just was not lucky
enough to have all this support. :thnx:

I think you have a special way with your pups Sandy. :paw:
In Toronto, you really don't see alot of people with Cavaliers they don't know what they are missing. :wggle:

Claire:
Will you guys be able to handle me at the point of #3. :sl*p:
That won't happen until I retire, which is a bit away unless I win the
lottery then the lot of us can retire.
Share the wealth.
*ng*l

Back