Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price by Sex

Post Thanks / Like

Default Price by Sex

What are the ethics of a breeder pricing puppies sold on a limited registration differently? I recently communicated with a cavalier breeder who prices females three hundred dollars higher than males. When asked why, she replied that it was due to supply and demand: she always has more males than females.

I've been under the impression that ethical breeders would sell puppies of the same quality with limited registrations the same price, regardless of sex. Quality might reflect a difference in price, but sex?

What is the general concensus among breeders on this issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Curious. I have often seen price differences in sexes though -- this would be common enough in the UK and Ireland with some breeders. I don't know why there's the difference though. Usually it is males priced higher. Maybe that is more the questionable breeders; I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

I suppose if she is using market pressure to encourage people to opt for what she has in supply -- eg males -- that's one way of nudging people to take the boys.

I always think it is odd that so many prefer females. Both sexes to me seem fairly similar. I love having boys, they are so loving and adorable. I'd consider another boy as a third dog, except people generally say to make the third a girl to reduce possible chances of friction. I like girls too; I just love my boys though!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I find it curious, too. Especially since these are prices for pups that arent even born, or even conceived! So there's really no way that she could know if she would have more boys than girls.

I have heard of some less-than-ethical breeders pricing females higher, but generally they dont follow up on whether or not she's spayed. I've also heard of breeders selling the same dog at a different price depending on the type of contract the buyers wants; you pay more for breeding rights.

That's why this breeder's pricing seems so confusing. I consider pricing as one cue to look for in an ethical breeder, but this breeder's logic doesnt connect with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moviedust
    I find it curious, too. Especially since these are prices for pups that arent even born, or even conceived! So there's really no way that she could know if she would have more boys than girls.

I have heard of some less-than-ethical breeders pricing females higher, but generally they dont follow up on whether or not she's spayed.
    There are some breeders who try to charge more to be able to register the dog in the AKC. That is unethical to charge more for AKC papers than without. It isn't that expensive either. I have seen some people try to charge significantly more for papers. It is 25USD for the litter plus 4 dollars per pup for online registration of a litter (for anyone who wants to know). Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sandy, makes you wonder if you are getting real papers, doesn't it? Like they have only one bitch perhaps whose pups could qualify for proper registration so they pick a random puppy and give it the papers if you will pay more. Presumably so you too can start to breed and produce AKC registered puppies...

Do they have DNA requirements for registration at all in the US? I thought this was being introduced. The IKC has it as a goal here, but can't imagine that will happen anytime soon. All puppies must now be microchipped with breeder info however if registered. This means US buyers of Irish dogs supposedly with IKC registration could scan the pup to see if it is actually chipped (though the scanner would need to be ISO standard; most US sdcanners can't read European chips). The majority of Irish puppy mill dogs have fake papers, the ISPCA here told me.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    Sandy, makes you wonder if you are getting real papers, doesn't it? Like they have only one bitch perhaps whose pups could qualify for proper registration so they pick a random puppy and give it the papers if you will pay more. Presumably so you too can start to breed and produce AKC registered puppies...

Do they have DNA requirements for registration at all in the US? I thought this was being introduced. The IKC has it as a goal here, but can't imagine that will happen anytime soon. All puppies must now be microchipped with breeder info however if registered. This means US buyers of Irish dogs supposedly with IKC registration could scan the pup to see if it is actually chipped (though the scanner would need to be ISO standard; most US sdcanners can't read European chips). The majority of Irish puppy mill dogs have fake papers, the ISPCA here told me.
    ALL CKCSC,USA registered breeding sires and dams have to be DNA'd(they won't register a litter without the DNA paperwork). So far in the AKC- If you have three or more litters/year or 7 litters in a lifetime must have DNA on record. Papers are only as good as the breeders word and honor. I have heard of one breeder (different breed) who had two males and she wasn't sure of the sire of her litter-- so she was going to guess. This is beyond unethical. If in doubt you can have the litter DNA'd to find the correct sire. (you can have more than one sire per litter) Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

The only difference between the males and females is 50.00 from our breeder.

Gillian Guest

In Malta the females are more expensive than the males too.

Post Thanks / Like

i always thought that breeders charged more for females as you "could" breed from them

Post Thanks / Like

On our purchase receipt, it states not for export and not for breeding..