• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Concentrating on TV

Bruce H

OK, we have dogs that watch TV, that's nothing new, but we have a visitor that was absolutely concentrating on TV last nite. One of the people who got 2 dogs (2 different times) from us brought them over for dog-sitting earlky this week. Last nite Riley decided to sit down in font of the TV and watch. He sat there for over an hour concentrating on the TV and not even the dogs attempting to play with him could break his concentration. When a dog came on TV, he would bark like crazy, then settle back down after it was gone. Really strange, I've just never had a dog watch TV for that long.

Believe it or not. In Modern Dog Magazine this month there is an article on dog watching DVDs for stay at home dogs.

What will they think of next?

Bridgette, Lacey & Tilly

Ha! I know the answer to that one...other dogs.

There are two different DVDs available for purchase. According to the article one holds dogs' attention longer. Now, I don't know what the dogs in the best video are doing to capture the...uh, dog viewers attention for such a long time.

Bridgette, Lacey & Tilly

That is really amazing that the dog focused on it for a whole hour. That's way longer than i can focus on TV, when i'm watching something, i'll usually be doing other things as well, web surfing, playing a game on my PDA, playing guitar during the commercials, playing with Zack. It doesn't hold my attention very strongly, though i do like to watch some things in this scattered way.

Zack concentrates on TV, not for an hour straight--as neither do i. Zack will sit and stare at TV for a few minutes at a time off and on all night, the cumulative time he watches is quite a lot, maybe half of every hour more or less. this has fascinated me. I've gotten so i'll just leave it on for him to watch when i'm not watching it at all, because of how he seems to enjoy it in some way.

He always turns to look at it when i first swtch it on, stopping whatever he'd doing. the sounds attract his attention, and the visual stuff fascinates him. Like right now, i have on the Humane Society Genesis Awards (just for him, i would not have been watching it, though i'm glad i did), and Zack was just now watching a cartoon that got an award. He sits and stares at it from start to finish. I cant get over this.

He watches all kinds of things, one night he watched a whole Sears commercial for Craftsman Tools. More than once he has intently watched politicians being interviewed. He will watch anything, news of the war in Iraq, a weather report, i can't figure out any common thread, it's not even just things with people and animals, but often it's some kind of visual design, some psychedelic color display, like on some commercials.

If it's a show with animals, he will often, though not always, get up and bark and run up to the TV and get up on his hind legs and try to get to the animals, trying to get around behind the TV and find them, one day when he didn't find them behind the TV, he ran outside to see if there was some way of getting to them from out there.

Oh, right now he's barking at a segment from the Simpson, Lisa is talking about how she doesn't want lambchops because she's against slaughtering lambs, the segment is getting a Genesis Award but theres no animal in cartoon. I don't know what made him bark. I think it was Homer.

The thing is, he's always watching. Now he's watching an animated dog treat commercial. He was really going nuts over some lemurs last week on Animal Planet. Elephants are an attraction, he watched an entire segment on lizards. and horses or zebras, he gets very excited about, he will bark. Anything with cats, lions, cheetahs, etc. Dog shows drive him wild. He watched a nature show segment about giant ants in quiet fascination.

He likes TV much more than i do. I will look for those DVDs. i looked on the Modern Dog Magazine site and didn't see anything about that, and no search engine. Is it in the current issue? What's the name of the article?

With my daughter when she was little, i didn't let her watch much TV because i didn't like the mesmerizing paralyzing sedating efect it seemed to have, i wanted her to be active and using her imagination to entertain herself. But with Zack, don't feel releuctant to let him watch. As long as he does his dog training class homework first! :lol:

here's a few of numerous photos i made of him watching tv a couple of weeks ago, this was all in one sitting, over about an hour, watching an animal channel. He was watching from my lap, then he got down and watched from the floor, then he got on the loveseat and watched from there, then he got in my lap again, then he got down again, still watching. he was watching a thing on lemurs. then, there was a thing on geckos. Then there was the thing on giant ants. And then, a dog show, which got him out of his chair and up against the tv screen. :lol:
the glasses i'm wearing in one of the pictures are reading glasses. I can't see the TV with them on. He was the one who was watching it, not me, but i get really fascinated when he does this. other dogs i've had never cared about what was on the tv, it was just an electronic box to them, they didn't believe in it. zack believes in tv. cl*p

zactv1.jpg

zactv2.jpg

zactv6.jpg

zactv6a.jpg

zactv9.jpg

zactv7.jpg

zactv8.jpg

zactv91.jpg

zactv92.jpg

zactv93.jpg

Oh my god, what great photo's - Woody was watching elephants the other day and started barking at them, then went round to the back of the tv to see where they were :sl*p:

Abbey loves tv, even commercials with animals or strange noises will set her off! Gus, our 8-week old Schnauzer, has already caught on to her commotion and joined in. Not sure if he actually knows what the he's barking at, but he does go right up to the tv when he's doing it. :lol:

Claire said:
Jen, you gotta change your signature now!!!! icon_whistling

I forgot about that!! Yes, I do need to change it, thanks for the reminder! :lol:

Back