• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fencing Idea's

Linda

We will be bringing Darby home in a few more weeks, our backyard
is completely fenced in.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on a inexpensive way to
fence a small part of our lot where we keep our caravan.

We checked on putting 3 ft fence around one of the properties and
fianancially it is not possible right now.

Here is half a view of one of the properties, had some folk
suggest a wire xpen just to give them room to play. Hubby thinks
Dudley will be able to knock it over at any sign of wildlife, so he is
a bit skeptical.

Deck.jpg

Would love to hear if anybody else has any ideas until we can put up
a fence.
I have already started the fence fund we want to fence all around the outside of the grass the area is 140 linear feet.

A good X-pen is very sturdy and a puppy is unlikely to be able to knock it over. You'd of course need to have him outside in an x-pen only while supervised. I'd also put chicken wire or that square mesh around the deck and put a baby gate across it -- that will make a good pen.

karlin said:
A good X-pen is very sturdy and a puppy is unlikely to be able to knock it over. You'd of course need to have him outside in an x-pen only while supervised. I'd also put chicken wire or that square mesh around the deck and put a baby gate across it -- that will make a good pen.

Karlin
Thanks I actually never thought of putting the mesh around the inside of
the deck we could just staple it on.

As for the xpen, I really want something that they can both go in and
play a little of course only while supervised.

I looked at one last night which was pretty sturdy but not tall enough.
Roxanne has 3 xpens together which gives them lots of room to run around.
Just wanted to enjoy watching them play while up north on the wkds.

Just called the pet store I go to for Dudleys food, she said they sell them
and they are sturdy.
I think 2 set of 8 panels should give them enough room for now and I can
always add on later may not even bother with the fence if this works out.
They are 3 ft high.

Not sure if it would work but Darren's mum bought a pen for molly with about 5 sides, that you could join together with another one and then hook into the ground.... I will try and find a picture.

Claire
I found some exercise pens on ebay very very reasonable.
Here is the link, I am just waiting for them to get back to me
as they are a wholesaler and I can pick them up and don't have to
pay shipping charges as they are located for once in Toronto.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-36-Exercise-...764194290QQcategoryZ20745QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking if I bought 3 or 4 that would give the boys room to play,
what do you all think does it look sturdy enough.
I can peg it into the ground.

Would love some feedback on this

As long at they can link intogether should be fine, they are high enough, what about checking out the DIY store see about trellis or something to knock in the ground.

I know I can buy pegs to keep it in the ground Claire, they contacted
me and I can pick them up.
They usually do not let you pick up at the time I requested, but they
will have someone wait for me.
I am going to try and research it a bit more but I know Roxanne
uses them and I think 3 would be plenty big enough.

You can buy outside kennels that are sturdier and larger than x-pens. We got ours at home depot for around 70 or 80 dollars. They come in a variety of sizes. Basically, it's a chainlink fence that forms a rectangle. It all comes in a kit, including the door.

We bought one and then modified it a bit to fit in a space we had. Normally, the fencing goes around all four sides and wouldnt be quite so long. We McGyverized the kit to make it larger since we could use the building for two of the sides.

These pictures might give you some idea what I'm talking about. The pics were taken to highlight the newly paved ground, but you can see the chainlink on the sides. (We added the wire mess around the bottom because Cedar's little head fit through the chainlink when she was a baby.)

kennel2.jpg

kennel1.jpg

Linda, what an absolutely lovely place you have. Looks like a wonderful place to relax and have fun. When's the party? :fool: :w*w:

We use 2 xpens linked together when we go to visit my daughter. Has been a terrific solution until now. Our Casey (9 mos. old) has just figured out that he can jump over the 3 ft. height so he is going to be confined with the long lead until we can come up with another solution.

I love Moviedust's setup! Perhaps that could work for you as well. Sounds like a cost effective solution that we may look at for our :drivecar: to see the grandchildren.

Lulu, your caravan is just gorgeous, and that deck that your hubby built is wonderful, would he like to come over and do a few jobs for us LOL

I think the x-pen will be brilliant, will make potty training easier and give them a place to play.

We'll I picked up the xpens last Friday, they are great.
I can fold them up when I leave too, it is not too hard so when I arrive
I will cut the grass get it out of the way and put the pens up.

Dudley did not like it, but the grass was wet and we all know how much
our cavaliers love the wet rain.

They were a great buy, and that was from ebay.

Glad you've got them, I think they look brilliant.

I'm sure Dudley will soon get used to the idea.

Back