• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad Breath!

jo

There's no nice way of putting this....Maisie's breath is rotten. She has never had this problem before, but for the last week or so it has got gradually worse. She hasn't eaten anything different, she's not had any medication etc, so it's really puzzling me. It's a very strange sort of smell, unlike the human form of bad breath. :yuk: It smells a bit like metal mixed with fish!!! Not to pleasant, especially when she's lay across my neck on the couch and yawns in my face. :yuk: :yuk:
Is there anything that could be causing this or am I going to have to buy some doggy breath mints?

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

I think she must be teething a little as Ozzy's breathe was disgusted over the last 6-8 weeks, he has one tooth left to come but the smell has completely gone.....

Yes i would definitely say it was due to teething. I remember when Joey was teething the smell was awful. He never had smelly breath until then and has never had it since his baby teeth have all gone. I know exactly how you feel. It smells so bad. I remember thinking oh my goodness is he going to be like this forever. Please rest assured Maisie wont. I dont know what causes it i just know it happens during teething. Would she be at teething age?? God love her. :flwr:

Thanks everyone, I guess I should have realised. :fool:

I knew Maisie was teething but never connected this to the smell before. She's 17 weeks now and definately teething. A couple of hours after I started this topic, my son was all exited because he'd found one of Maisie's teeth. I thought it was going to be a front-type tooth, so was shocked to find one of the bigger ones (like a molar). Guess who's going to be the popular kid at show and tell tomorrow at pre-school? 8)
The topic this month is "growing" so it's quite fitting that he can bring her tooth in. Great to hear that they don't keep the smell forever. It's bad enough having to put up with the flatulence problem without a smell from the top end as well. :jump:

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

Oh my goodness, i thought i was the only one with a puppy with smelly breath! icon_blshing I'm so glad to know that there are others and that it will go away. b*n*n*
Poor Riley, now 21 weeks, has had smelly breath ever since about 12 weeks. I just thought i had a strange puppy, at least now i know it's normal! Thanks Jo and Maisie!
Laura

Here's a reply on another forum from a couple years ago.. This is a vet's response. To be honest I never had bad breath in Jaspar as a puppy except when he had eaten feces from the cat litter box. Could be teeth, yes, but teething doesn't last a really long time and usually doesn;t start til about 16 weeks as I recall? And should be over by around 6 months or so so if bad breath continues it's a good idea to start looking for other reasons behind it.

These little pups can be very sneaky and fast at getting into cat boxes or eating their own or other dog's feces so I would really carefully watch any pup with bad breath to make sure this is not a cause. Also keep an eye on teeth and gums that it isn't an infected tooth.

Teething can cause foul odor, and full adult dentation won't be in until sometime between six and seven month so this is a possibility. Eating feces, some puppies will, whether their own or another animal's, can also give the same results.

Finally, don't overlook an anal sac origin--dogs will groom
this area and the odor has often been described as fishy/dead. Obviously, such gasto-intestinal problems as parasitism can also cause foul odors, but I'm assuming that you've had this puppy appropriately dewormed and vaccinated.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124

well, thanks, you guys solved the mystery. zack had awful breath starting shortly after i got him which was at about 16 weeks, and continued for about a month, maybe a little more, and then it stopped as suddenly as it began, what a relief. since he was sick with worms and colitis when i first had him and he got well after a month, i thought that might explain the odor and its disappearance, but having read what others are saying, i now lean more toward the teething hypothesis. i know he wasn't eating his poop during the first month cuz it was diarrhea and would've been smeared all over his mouth if he'd been doing that. i wonder by what mechanism teething causes this.

Worms could have caused or contributed to the bad breath too as they are down in the gut. :yuk:

I wonder if my father-in-law has been teething for the last 10yrs I have known him............. ;) :yuk:

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

This thread has some really digusting stuff in it. Just think, after all the ideas we've had on the board about the cause of bad breath, we let our dogs lick our faces!!!! :yuk: :yuk:

Maybe he has worms? :yikes :lol:

This thread has some really digusting stuff in it. Just think, after all the ideas we've had on the board about the cause of bad breath, we let our dogs lick our faces!!!!

I know! Well maybe it gives us more disease resistence... :lol:

Back