• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

1st vet check

The breeder that I'm getting my puppy from said that I need to take her to the vet within 48 hours of getting her. What exactly should I make sure they are lookig at/for? I know eyes and heart, anything else?

Our vet has a "new puppy" exam that includes a general physical and examination for common puppy issues. He also uses this initial meeting to talk to you about vaccine schedules and sterilization. I imagine your vet will have a similar appointment. Just tell the receptionist when you make the appointment that you have a new puppy that needs it's first checkup.

There are some issues that new cavaliers are prone to have. With Cedar, I was quite upset that she had a hernia. However, hernias are one thing that seems to be quite prevalent and can be very disturbing to us since human hernias can be scary. It's somewhat common in pups, though, and if it doesnt heal up on its own in the first few months, they can generally be corrected if/when your pup is fixed.

One thing that I suggest--as it was suggested to me!--is that you print off some of the health information from this board and give it to the vet on your first visit. Many vets arent familiar with cavaliers, and while you may not need the info on MVD or SM (now or ever!!) it never hurts to let the vet know the health issues that are possible. PLUS--if someone else with a cav goes to the same vet, the vet will be more aware of the breed's issues.

Vets will just do a basic exam usually to verify that the pup is healthy. The 48-hour clause is likely her contract stipulation -- that you need to notify her of any health issues within 48 hours to return the pup due to health issues that the pup might have when coming directly from her, etc.

I don;t think you need to have the vet look for anything that is partiucular to this breed but as noted cavaliers often have umbilical hernias and many vets do not realise that in this breed, they often go away by the time they reach the age when they are spayed/neutered. So don't be alarmed if the vet says something about a hernia that may need to be repaired.

It is good to poirnt out some info on MVD and SM s those are the two primary, serious health issues in the breed and if the vet is not familiar with cavaliers, is unlikely to be aware of this. Also not a bad idea to print out some info on how cavaliers have large platelets as many a cavalier has ended up being treated for serious illness it doesn;t have. There's info on all these things in the Library health section of the site.

There shouldn;t be anything of concern for you though; good breeders will have had the pups to their own vet at least once already so the pup will have been checked for basic health issues. :)

One thing my breeder had me take with me to our first exam was a print out of W. Jean Dodds, DVM's vaccine protocol. You might want to take a look at it and see what you (and your breeder) think about it. From what I have read, all 27 of the Vet Universities in the US follow Dr. Dodd's suggested immunization schedules. http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

JaneB

Back