Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay...someone give me the scoop on bully sticks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay...someone give me the scoop on bully sticks

I know what they're made of and I can deal with that.....but what size would you get for puppies? Also, I keep hearing that they STINK! Are there any that don't smell? I like the idea of a chew that's digestible. The whole greenie thing makes me nervous. I used to give our schnauzer dried bovine tracheas which he LOVED, but I know they're too big to give a puppy.
    Sophie and Scooter come home on June 25th!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bully sticks do stink ! I like giving the Beef sticks instead. They also last pretty long and are a good chew that doesnt stink. The ones I get are about 6-9 inches long
    they look like this http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-13780

Post Thanks / Like

They stink alright.

I found this website that does 4 inch ones. they look fairly small.

The 18 inch ones did make my eyes water a bit though

http://www.sitstay.com/store/edibles/chews1.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I like the price of those much better too. Are there different sizes?

Post Thanks / Like

Our petstore used to carry 4 inch sticks, but I think they discontinued them. Anyway, that's what we gave to Cedar. We only had one stick that smelled; the others werent bad. No idea what the difference could have been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The ones I get aren;t bad at all -- faint whiff when you are sitting right next to a dog that is chewing one. I get them from Lidl, the only place that carries them believe it or not in Ireland. Dogs love 'em. But I bought 25kg of them at the Irish national dog show from a guy from the UK who was selling all sorts of treats with bulk discounts -- they also don;t really smell at all. Also got some great fish jerky from him. They are all about 6 inches long. The dogs chew them down so I don;t think it matters too much what size you give -- the 4 inch would be handy for puppies. My guys eat them for a while then leave them alone then return to them.

The guy in the stall was incredibly ribald when I went to purchase them. I won;t repeat the jokes but they were all the lines you'd imagine; most repeated twice for good effect. My friend who was also there described him as a dog treat Baldrick.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

the day i got zack, at the home of the lady i got him from, he was joyfully dragging around a bully stick that was almost as long as he was. He and another puppy were playing together, and they were playing tug o war with the bully stick. We were laughing at them, and the lady told me that it was bull penis. I had the same reaction the rest of you probably had the first time i confronted this, um, dog accessory. and and She said dogs love them, and that was very apparent.

on the way home zack and i stopped at the pet store and got supplies, and bully sticks were on my list. At that time, i didn't know yet that they were called bully sticks. I just knew they were bull penis, so when i needed help from the store staff to find them, that's what i asked for. It took a while before i learned the right name for them. Anyway, they had lots of sizes so i chose the biggest size because i wanted to get the same thing Zack loved at his former home.

That was 3 1/2 months ago and Zack still has that bully stick, most of it is still left. He is not a powerful chewer. But he loves it as much as ever. I'd say it's his favorite thing that he "owns." He chews it every day. I've since gotten him several more smaller bully sticks, which he also loves, including a braided bully stick. None of the bully sticks has ever smelled, not that i get really close to them but to the extent they are pretty much within my space, i've never smelled one with the exception of the smoked barbecue flavored ones, which i threw away because they made him really thirsty. So, i'm surprised to hear that there are some that smell.

here's some photos of zack the first night i had him:

Post Thanks / Like

Judy, I love those pics! That's great if they last 3 months!!! I may bite the bullet and get some but good lord, I can't tell DH what they are (it'll just be my little secret that there are penises on the floor

Post Thanks / Like

All the guys would only be jealous - ha ha...

Post Thanks / Like

I can't give my guys bully sticks anymore because they get nastily posessive of them. I mean Shelby is a total bitch about it. She will go grab Jake's from him and they lay down ON TOP of her own and chew his. If he comes near her she will growl and lunge at him, never leaving the bully stick in open view. Yikes!!!

Shelby with hers

Jake with his

Shelby with both!! She's got them in her "safety zone" between the couch and table where no one can get to her!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah