• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Okay...someone give me the scoop on bully sticks

I know what they're made of and I can deal with that.....but what size would you get for puppies? Also, I keep hearing that they STINK! Are there any that don't smell? I like the idea of a chew that's digestible. The whole greenie thing makes me nervous. I used to give our schnauzer dried bovine tracheas which he LOVED, but I know they're too big to give a puppy.

Our petstore used to carry 4 inch sticks, but I think they discontinued them. Anyway, that's what we gave to Cedar. We only had one stick that smelled; the others werent bad. No idea what the difference could have been.

The ones I get aren;t bad at all -- faint whiff when you are sitting right next to a dog that is chewing one. I get them from Lidl, the only place that carries them believe it or not in Ireland. Dogs love 'em. But I bought 25kg of them :shock: :shock: :shock: at the Irish national dog show from a guy from the UK who was selling all sorts of treats with bulk discounts -- they also don;t really smell at all. Also got some great fish jerky from him. They are all about 6 inches long. The dogs chew them down so I don;t think it matters too much what size you give -- the 4 inch would be handy for puppies. My guys eat them for a while then leave them alone then return to them.

The guy in the stall was incredibly ribald when I went to purchase them. I won;t repeat the jokes but they were all the lines you'd imagine; most repeated twice for good effect. :roll: My friend who was also there described him as a dog treat Baldrick. :rotfl:

the day i got zack, at the home of the lady i got him from, he was joyfully dragging around a bully stick that was almost as long as he was. He and another puppy were playing together, and they were playing tug o war with the bully stick. We were laughing at them, and the lady told me that it was bull penis. I had the same reaction the rest of you probably had the first time i confronted this, um, dog accessory. :shock: and :yuk: and :lol: She said dogs love them, and that was very apparent.

on the way home zack and i stopped at the pet store and got supplies, and bully sticks were on my list. At that time, i didn't know yet that they were called bully sticks. I just knew they were bull penis, so when i needed help from the store staff to find them, that's what i asked for. It took a while before i learned the right name for them. Anyway, they had lots of sizes so i chose the biggest size because i wanted to get the same thing Zack loved at his former home.

That was 3 1/2 months ago and Zack still has that bully stick, most of it is still left. He is not a powerful chewer. But he loves it as much as ever. I'd say it's his favorite thing that he "owns." He chews it every day. I've since gotten him several more smaller bully sticks, which he also loves, including a braided bully stick. None of the bully sticks has ever smelled, not that i get really close to them but to the extent they are pretty much within my space, i've never smelled one with the exception of the smoked barbecue flavored ones, which i threw away because they made him really thirsty. So, i'm surprised to hear that there are some that smell.

here's some photos of zack the first night i had him:

zbull4.jpg

zbull5.jpg

zbull3.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Judy, I love those pics! That's great if they last 3 months!!! I may bite the bullet and get some but good lord, I can't tell DH what they are (it'll just be my little secret that there are penises on the floor :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I can't give my guys bully sticks anymore because they get nastily posessive of them. I mean Shelby is a total bitch about it. She will go grab Jake's from him and they lay down ON TOP of her own and chew his. If he comes near her she will growl and lunge at him, never leaving the bully stick in open view. Yikes!!!

Shelby with hers
HPIM0843.jpg

Jake with his
HPIM0847.jpg

Shelby with both!! She's got them in her "safety zone" between the couch and table where no one can get to her!
HPIM0851.jpg

Typical lady don't you reckon Cathy - I have never lunged at Darren though... icon_whistling

Pixie is quite a chewer. She demolishes and eats most of the chew things too quickly, so bully sticks have become her main chew.

I've been getting the Red Barn brand from http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/ They don't seem to smell as much as the Merrill brand. (Although, it's a crap shoot...some hardly smell at all, others ...PU!) Then we give Pixie minty biscuits. :D

Just tell the hubby they're beef tendon. icon_whistling

The smell is one issue, the thought of a kiss later is another!! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Cathy T said:
.... I mean Shelby is a total bitch about it. She will go grab Jake's from him and they lay down ON TOP of her own and chew his.....

:lol: cl*p :rotfl:

great photos.

After this thread, i've been thinking about Zack's bully stick, the one he's had since the day i got him, i was thinking of how most of it is still there and it will probably last many more months, or a year, but it does have a gnawed on look, so i decided he should have a new one, so i got him a new long one today, brought it home, gave it to him, and PEEEEE EWEEEEUUU :yuk: it really stinks. when he came over to give me a kiss, it was like, blecchhh, poison dog lips. I had to sneak it away when he was eating his dinner. I tried offering him a lamb flavored nylabone, but all he wanted was that new bully stick, he loved it. but i don't think so. that's the first one i've gotten that has any odor.

i guess from what you all have said, it's luck of the draw....I got them at store that has them in bulk, in bins, no brand names. I smelled it before i got it because i don't want to get any of the smoked flavored ones, and it had no odor. It was just after he started chewing on it that its perfume was released.

I would like to get the beef sticks but they seem to just come in the smoked variety.

Back