Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to give a cavalier a loving home

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanting to give a cavalier a loving home

I have a blehiem cavalier already and would like to find him a friend I have tried all the usual places. dog rescue homes etc even uk cavalier rescue but so far nothing has come up. We live in London, some beautiful parks near by.
    Billy is around 7 years old, male, Neutured ( we got him from battersea dogs home around 5 years ago ) . He is in serious need of a freind preferably female if anyone haers of one that is not too far away I would be truly grateful if they would forward any info to me at deeashworth@hotmail.com
    We love billy so much and really feel that he needs a girlfriend.

Thankyou in advance for any help with this.
    Dog,n. A kind of additional or subsidary deity designed to catch the over flow and surplus of the worlds worship.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is a bit of a distance, only a 4-5 hour drive, why don't you try Many Tears rescue in Wales?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please try Many Tears.

This is where the two little ones in the picture came from. Both were ex-breeding bitches from the puppy farms down there, they so needed a kind home with someone who would understand their nervous and frightened ways. The rewards of having these two girls are unmeasurable.

I did the drive from Jun 15 M4 in just under three hrs, well worth it.

Visit the web site that they have and jump in quick if you see one as they do go very quickly.

You could always try the Cavalier club rescue but they are few and far between.

good luck!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rescues are very far between. Hence if you are really interested in a cavalier sooner rather than later I'd look into getting an adult dog or a puppy that has been 'run on' but is being sold (eg was going to be shown but now isn't) from a good breeder. Or check the ads for someone looking to rehome their cavalier.

If you want to stick with a rescue, get on waiting lists if at all possible with the rescues and stay in touch with them. And do keep an eye on Many Tears -- that's the only rescue I know of that has cavaliers come in from time to time. I have in past spoken to some general rescues in the UK and they have all told me they have huge waiting lists for any cavalier that comes in. I also have usually up to about a dozen people waiting for any cavalier that comes in (I do rescue in Ireland). Also your chances are much higher if you would welcome an older dog or perhaps one with special needs.

Because there are always so many offers of homes with rescue cavaliers, I do encourage anyone who really wants this breed to talk to good breeders, look for dogs being rehomed, etc. It is wonderful to give a needy and deserving dog a home but outside of some elderly dogs and some with a serious illness, the reality is that there are not many cavaliers that are truly in the kind of crisis for rehoming that happens every days with many other breeds and with mixed breeds in pounds and shelters. And as you have found, they are so hard to find that for anyone really hoping to have a cavalier, it makes sense to consider non-rescue channels.

I only have about a dozen dogs a year coming in to rescue in Ireland, just as a point of comparison.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I will also contact my breeder as she sometimes lets go of her girls after she has finished breeding them....

Post Thanks / Like

She hasn't got any Cavaliers that she wants to rehome at the moment, but her friend has a shih tzu that has just been neutered and is 2 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check M/Tears for you daily if you like.... the site gets updated a.m and p.m. most days and will post you if anything comes in... they go that fast!

Is it only a bitch you are wanting?

Also can I ask would you really be wanting a puppy farm rescue?

There is alot of time and work and patience that you have to give. most have never been in a home or out for a walk etc and not toilet trained. They have been kept in awful conditions, often caged for years and just used for breeding and most have a few health probs...however...they catch on really quick and will love you to bits for your time and love.

Expect only a little from them at first but you will be amazed at what you will receive. I'm happy for you to ask as many questions as you want before you say that you would be interested...

feel free to e-mail me user.leighfield@btopenworld.com

Alison, wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alison, I could not get into Many Tears today was saying Maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many Tears is also listed in the breed rescue contacts posted at the top of this forum.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Claire,

it seems OK now, since this a.m two newbies have been put up, not Cavaliers, perhaps that is why they went down for a while.

Alison, wilts, Uk.