• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

whelping box idea's needed please!

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at idea's on how to make a whelping box for my bitch, i'm hopeing to get her mated on her next season which should be in June.

If anyone has any idea's they would be greatfully appreciated :)

Many thanks in advance

Love Rhonda and Harry.

There's a couple of websites, if you do a google or yahoo search and do a UK search should come up with a few, here's one:

http://www.whelping-boxes.co.uk

Are you getting her thoroughly checked before you consider mating her - there are plenty of breeders who are able to advise what to do beforehand.

If you go to "5 Months in the Life of a Breeder", second page, and scroll down, you can see what I did using large crates. The crate on the right had a cracked top, so I built a new top withe a plexiglass door in the top. The crate on the left is a cheap crate that I just cut a hole in the top and added the plexiglass door. I find we almost never use the front door to get pups; the top door really works well.

Thanks Claire,
Will take a look later when hubbi gets home!
Yes! have already got her checked, vet said she's in top form :) and has had eyes and heart checked also and both are clear :)
Already spoken to the stud owner, just need to let him know when she comes into season, also wants her to have a swob done, which is not a problem as i am all for it and the dogs owner gets him checked to make sure he doesn't pass anything on to my bitch!
All his dogs are heart,eye and sm clear and so are their sire and dam, so i am more then happy :D, as from what i understand ,their isn't much else i can do to try and provide a healthy litter, but if their is anything else i haven't thought off pleeeease let me know.
Thanks
Rhonda.

Bruce H said:
If you go to "5 Months in the Life of a Breeder", second page, and scroll down, you can see what I did using large crates. The crate on the right had a cracked top, so I built a new top withe a plexiglass door in the top. The crate on the left is a cheap crate that I just cut a hole in the top and added the plexiglass door. I find we almost never use the front door to get pups; the top door really works well.

Thanks Bruce,
Have read it, thought it was fantastic and very informative.
Will no dout use it as a point of refernce :D

Rhonda.

Have you checked that your stud dog has been neuro checked or MRI scanned for SM also? have you asked if anything has shown symptom wise in the line? most good breeders are at least aware or scanning their stud dogs now if not the bitches although I would personally want both scanned before I bred a litter.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Alison_Leighfield said:
Have you checked that your stud dog has been neuro checked or MRI scanned for SM also? have you asked if anything has shown symptom wise in the line? most good breeders are at least aware or scanning their stud dogs now if not the bitches although I would personally want both scanned before I bred a litter.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Hi Alison,
All his dogs are checked and clear including for sm.

Rhonda.

Thats fantastic news. :D

To have found a breeder that has scanned his stud dog and has a clear MRI for SM to show you is a wonderful caring person interested in the health of the Cavalier. We can only try our best but taking extra caution is better still.

You have made my day. :flwr:

After the loss of three Cavaliers with SM I would wish for no other person to go through the pain that we went through living with an affected dog.

Good Luck!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Alison_Leighfield said:
Thats fantastic news. :D

To have found a breeder that has scanned his stud dog and has a clear MRI for SM to show you is a wonderful caring person interested in the health of the Cavalier. We can only try our best but taking extra caution is better still.

You have made my day. :flwr:

After the loss of three Cavaliers with SM I would wish for no other person to go through the pain that we went through living with an affected dog.

Good Luck!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Hi Alison,
Cant imagine the pain you went through :(
Although i'm not what you would call a pro at breeding, am trying to get it right, although i do know nothing is guarenteed!!

Love Rhonda.

Back