Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheres my coat gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheres my coat gone?

Well...I took Honey to the groomers for a "summer trim" I have never had her trimmed before but thought it would help with her "curly coat" condition. This is an illness not a curly coat. Honey is my blenheim.

I cried all the way home. Her coat was gone! We have flaps for ears a rats tail and a bare belly. my poor, poor Honey.

Saying all this though she hasn't stopped wagging since we got home so obviously she likes it.

How long will it take for a coat to re-grow?

Honey also has Cushings syndrome which I gather slows down the re-growth also.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the poor thing but she must feel better for it, Cushings and hot weather do not go together well.

The cushing will have an effect on the coat, she may even loose some of it, I had a yorkie with it and her beautiful coat went from soft and shiny to looking greasy but dry and brittle to touch .

I found the women who wrote this book a great help at the time she had a yahoo group just for owners of dogs with cushings but I can’t find it listed now?

http://www.petcarebooks.com/books/ddad.htm

just found the link to the Yahoo groups Cushings list
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canine...utoimmunecare/
    Davy, SinE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!

Post Thanks / Like

a friend who's dog has Addisons swears by the advice and guidance she's received from a dog nutritionist named Catherine Lane
    http://www.thepossiblecanine.com/ . I don't know if that would help or not. Addisons is kind of the opposite of Cushings, but nutrition is holistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to both of you.

I found the group, thanks so much.

Yes her coat has started to fall out with the Cushings. Honey also has Dry Eye Curly coat yet another auto immune disease.

The small animal Health trust at Newmarket UK are doing research into the C/coat and Honey is part of their ongoing research there. it seems that it is only in Cavaliers that severe Dry Eye is combined with the Curly Coay auto immune side of it. Now that she has the Cushings along side the C/Coat she is of some fasination to them and receives the very best medical attention available, however the groups are good as we learn so much from other owners.

As to date there are only half a dozen dogs with C/Coat in the UK as most breeders when Cavalier pups are born are PTS. This little girl was rescued from a Puppy Farm last June so I guess they would never have noticed if she was affected or not.

Honey was also MRI scanned for SM and was totally clear which is wonderful as I have lost three other Cavaliers to SM in the last 18 months.

So thanks again, your help is gratefully received.

Alison, wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is the condition so severe that pups really need to be pts? Or is that more so they aren't bred from? I would think cav rescue could help place those puppies.

That's wonderful that Honey can be part of this research to help other dogs! And also nice that you know she is getting such good care. It can be so confusing when your dog has a reare health condition, to get information and support and the right care and it sounds like you have all three.

I hope her coat comes back in quickly! But if she is happy and a hot summer is around the corner, let her enjoy her new air conditioned state!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin,

Dry Eye/Curly Coat is a very severe condition. The dry eye is always very severe with it and I mean as severe as it gets. Almost blindness and ulcerated corneas. When you look at Honeys eyes they are blue, ulcerated and very sore. Along with the compromised immune system that doesn't fight infection well, it leaves them open to all sorts. I have just brought Honey through a nasty chest infection, believe me it wasn't nice. Then there are the nails which drop out on a regular basis. sometimes Honey doesn't leave her bed for the soreness and the pads on her feet split and bleed all the time along with her nose. The coat is harsh, itchy, and like a brush, it grows in tufts and falls out, no matter what you try nothing helps. It is part of the condition.

I carry her to the park or in the car and keep her on the grass only. Pavements rip her feet to pieces. I Soak her feet twice weekly to soften them and smoother them in cream. Three lots of eye ointments throughout the day and now the Cushings as well.....

I am in contact with other owners, mainly breeders, that have kept a puppy with Cushings and I like them wouldn't wish this on another, to be honest they don't often talk about it and it was hard finding any information out.

At Malvern in March this year I did a health table for the condition. I was amazed at the interest shown. Upon talking with long time breeders that were showing on that day they remember it from years ago, it seems that is is something that was "bred out" but now and again the odd one pops up. not surprising with Honey being from the Puppy Farm is it, they don't do health as we well know.

It is genetic and obviously of interest to those in their field. The co-incidence of the two conditions running together is very rare.

So my little coat less Cavalier copes remarkably well all considered, still waggy and still at my feet with every step!

I do look at her quality of life, the others working with her are also aware of this. it is a thought always in my mind and theirs...we just enjoy every day as it comes.

Alison, wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Alison what a great person you are - I had no idea the ailments you have to deal with.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too had no idea this was such an affliction. The name makes it sound so mild! I can see how quality of life would indeed be a consideration for difficult decisions. You are certainly giving Honey the best possible care.

One can also only imagine how many puppies poor Honey gave those genes to, and how many of those will also be bred. Farmers would never be allowed to manage livestock in such a way; it enfuriates me that dogs can be bred so indicriminately and uncaringly.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Claire,

The dogs even with all their problems are so easy to manage compared to a stroppy teenage son and a lovesick 21yr old that spends most of his day with his umbilical cord tied to his mobile waiting for the "girlfriend" to ring! LOL

Believe me!

Give me a dog anyday!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

You are really putting me off ever having children.....