Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheres my coat gone?

Post Thanks / Like

So long as Honey remains happy eh?
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

I am in contact with other owners, mainly breeders, that have kept a puppy with Cushings and I like them wouldn't wish this on another, to be honest they don't often talk about it and it was hard finding any information out.
    Very true, I did have a lump in my throat last night reading your post.

It’s been nearly three years since I lost my Dizzy and it’s still hard, especially looking back at the photos and seeing the change in her. Cushings can be a very visible illness as it slowly breaks the body down. One of the hardest parts is dealing with a dog in permanent starvation mode. She would scream for her food.

At the time I think I looked up as much as I could find and was told by one nurse that I knew more about the condition then she did as they only had half a page of a book on the subject when they were studying at collage.

The biggest problem is if the drugs don’t work well with the dog.. Dizzy didn’t take to the first drugs they gave her and the second drug didn’t control the cushings that well. She had also developed diabetes because of the Cushings and her sugar levels were all over the place. So she was very hard to control.

But that’s not every dog! I know of another dog who is also Cushings/diabetic who has fared much better on the drugs and apart from the cataracts looks and acts like there is nothing wrong with him.

With all Dizzy’s problems she did managed to get pass the six months marker and lived for two years with the condition. Unfortunately we had one of the hottest couple of weeks, she been in and out of the vets many times but there was nothing they could do but for us to keep her cool . On the day she died the hottest day on record. Her poor body could not cope and she passed away with me by her side.

I hope you joined that group because you will find a lot of info on there to help and probably teach them some new things as well.

I know Honey is with the right person, so she will have a good life.

I wish you and Honey well and pray that things will get a big easier
    Davy, SinE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!

Post Thanks / Like

Davy,

your posting rang so true, very similar to my Honey.

This afternoon we had our weekly consult with our vet. We had tests done last week and we were waiting for results.

I know today that she is a sick dog. the tumour in the pituary gland is large, larger than we thought. it isn't good news is it.

Yes I joined the group and I need to know more straight away, no waiting with this I fear.

Yes she screams in hunger and drinks forever. I keep sliced carrots and beans for her to nibble on, and I lift the water bowl or she would just drink and drink.

We are returning in two weeks to see if the new meds "Vetoryl" are doing the job. Meanwhile we do every day as best as we can.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

You are a really wonderful Mom, Alison.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alison

With her drinking so much have they tested for diabetes, one of the problems that comes with cushings, most owners like me don’t find out about the cushings till the diabetes happens.

I don’t know how much you do know but here are some links that may help?

http://www.petdiabetes.org/cushings.htm

http://www.caninediabetes.org/kriscushingscorner.html

http://www.petdiabetes.com/cushingsdisease.html

You do tend to find a lot of info on the dogs diabetes pages as cushings is one of the causes of diabetes in dogs.

Vetoryl was the first drug we tried but her body just didn’t take to it so we had to go on the lysodren which meant I had to wear gloves and a mask when I gave her the drug.

Dizzy would sometimes go in to a hypo on the day she got lysodren but the little minx’s worked this out and would fake a hypo to get more food.. Also make sure Honey can’t get near the bins as that’s another thing they will go for to get food.
    Davy, SinE&Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Yes she found the bin in the kitchen a while ago....caught her up the garden with it everywhere...she even pulled my sons lunch out of his school bag, they go manic for food don't they? Everything is now out of reach like the veg rack etc..

Thank you for all the links I will use all of them and find what I need to know.

This must be painful for you to remember all this but you have helped so much with all the information, thank you.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

I had birds and fish at the time she would try and eat their food as well. Heard of one woman who had an aviary, her dog ate a whole large bag of bird seed. She said he was pooping just seed for days!

Yes it’s hard to talk about, like with any love one you only want to remember the good times and block out the bad times. Still remember the day they told me she was a diabetic and the day they told me she had tested positive for Cushings.

But she had a big terrier character and that’s what I always remember, and because of her the vets asked me if I would take on SiânE who is also diabetic but not Cushings I glad to say.

That’s why I call SiânE my little angel, she is so good with her condition, never (touch wood) any problems and as good gold and the only thing that kept me going when I lost Dizzy.

I know I have forgotten a lot of the things I learned back then but if you need any help you can always email me I am happy to help if I can.
    Davy, SinE&Ella

Rod Russell Guest

Curly coat syndrome or rough coat syndrome apparently is another of those conditions either unique with Cavaliers or certainly much more prevalent than in other breeds (others being early onset MVD, episodic falling, fly catcher's syndrome, glue ear, oversized platelets, and, of course, SM). I know of a litter of curly coat Cavaliers born about 12 years ago to a novice breeder in the US. All of the puppies had curly coat syndrome. It was only the breeder's second litter of Cavaliers, and it turned out to be her last. "The litter from hell", as she calls it, drove her from breeding. She has remained a faithful Cavalier pet owner.

We are fortunate that Dr. Keith Barnett, along with Dr. Cathryn Mellersh, senior canine geneticist at the AHT, are leading a team who are researching the DNA of curly coat puppies. They have been collecting blood samples and skin tissue samples from affected puppies, their siblings, and parents to identify the responsible genes. Dr. Mellersh reports that thus far 27 candidate genes have been identified. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/dry_eye.htm for details and how owners of curly coat Cavalier puppies can help.

Rod Russell
    Orlando, Florida USA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rod,

The team at Newmarket AHT are wonderful, nothing is any trouble and they always return my calls if I have a worry/problem with Honey. We had lots of pictures, bloods, samples taken etc for the reasearch.

Like you quite rightly point out there are not many that will want to own a second Curly Coat Cavalier. To see one in a lifetime is plenty enough.

More widespread information should be available about this condition, it's a nasty one. I do my bit like at Malvern this year with a simple stall with info that I have managed to find. There wasn't much about so I shall keep digging for next year as well.

Your Cavalier health site was a great help, it set me on the tracks!

I hate to think of the many, many litters that Honey gave birth to in the Puppy Farm, I was told 6/7 and the owners who might have an affected dog out there.

All you can do is awareness of the condition.

Alison, Wilts, UK.