• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Want to get a puppy.

stacey

Hi i know its awhile since i was here. But i was wondering does any one know of any pups available. The only thing is i have no transport :drivecar: so it would have to be near to sligo. i seen ones for sale in dublin but the only way to collect one is on the train so i will have to see. If any one could help me out and give me info i would be very greatful. :lol:

Hi Stacey --

Welcome back! :flwr:

I don't allow public discussion of puppies for sale but people can PM you privately if they wish. I would however ONLY recommend going through the Irish Kennel Club breed club contact (or make sure any recommended breeder is of good standing) as at the very least, you want IKC registration. Please don't even consider buying from anyone advertising in the Buy&Sell as no decent breeder advertises puppies this way -- these will almost entirely be backyard bred and puppy farm dogs of very poor quality and no health screening. Many with IKC registrations faked. As of jan 1 this year all IKC puppies MUST be microchipped by the breeder so this is also a way of verifying that at least it is a registered dog. It is worth waiting for a puppy from a decent breeder and most good breeders tend to have waiting lists.

There's lots of suggestions for finding a puppy in Ireland here:

http://rescue.cavaliertalk.com/rescue/puppies.html

Given the very serious health issues in the breed and the curtailed lives some have due to early onset mitral valve disease (50% will have a murmur by age 5) you really, really want to get a quality breeder who does the correct heart testing. Ask the club contact for names of breeders she knows breed with the proper heart clearances.

The bottom line setting aside ethical issues about breeding without all the proper heart and other health testing by the breeder is that you, the consumer, will end up with a pup far more likely to have a very short life -- but will pay just the same amount of money as a good breeder charges. Pups are expensive so make sure you spend wisely. :)

Thanks for the info i will get in contact with IKC and see what info they have. I am sorry about the mix up but i would be very greatfull of any info on this breed from people who have experience themselves.

Back