• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

General Health Book

Jen

Does anyone have any referrals for a good, general health-issues, etc. book that covers all ages from puppies to senior dogs--all dogs, not just Cavaliers?

Many people i consulted when Zack was sick recommended a book called Dr Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs and Cats, by Richard Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157954973X/103-8079252-8519036?v=glance&n=283155
I got the book but I haven't consulted it yet. It's broad and comprehensive in scope, and has a holistic orientation. It includes a lot of remedies for different things. I would also like to have a conventional vet medicine book to consult as well but don't know of any.

Oh dear..how long have you got!!

I too like the Dr Pitcairn book, it's on my next to get list as I borrowed it from the library!

Basic dog care manual covering general health issues:

Everydog, a complete book of Dog Care - Eric Allan and Rowan BloggISBN 0195538226

Very accessible and not too heavy going veterinary handbook with some great "yukky" photos :D

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd edition {2000}
James M Giffin and Liisa D Carlson
ISBN 0876052014

For the complete obsessive { icon_whistling :D } and now a bit out of date, but still very thorough
Veterinary Notes for Dog Owners - Trevor Turner
ISBN 0091738172

The bestest book I've yet found on homoeopathy {includes supplements and herbs too}, and has a section on VACCINATION that EVERYONE should read

Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs Small Doses for small animals
Don Hamilton
ISBN 9781556432958

The only bit I disagree with and makes me laugh is that he still gives more than one pill at once, as he can't get his head around that concept :D

Probably the best book I've ever read with regard to dogs and behaviour

The Other End of the Leash Why we do what we do around dogs
Patricia B McConnell

This is one I think EVERYONE should read, it really makes you think but isn't heavy going at all. The author is an animal behaviourist and dog trainer and in this book she reveals a new perspective on our relationship with dogs, sharing insights on how dogs might interpret our behaviour and advice on how to interact in ways that will bring out the best in our companions. I love her tried and tested ways to call dogs - short repeated notes encourage activity {to come to you} and one single note discourages it...try it, it works!! PUP PUP PUP PUP...they come running!!

Ok that's my bookshelf raided...I think maybe we should start a reading list somewhere!!

Other excellent books are

The Perfect Puppy ~Gwen Bailey
ISBN: 0600585816

Aims to teach owners to bring up a puppy to be well-behaved, friendly and happy. The book deals exclusively with raising a puppy and promotes good, responsible ownership aiming to prevent problems in adult dogs.

The Complete Guide to Puppy Care (Mark Evans Animal Care)
Mark Evans
ISBN: 1857327993

Written by an experienced veterinary surgeon and television presenter, {before he turned into a dreadful presenter LOL } this book contains information needed to lay the foundations for a successful relationship with your dog. Advice is given on all aspects from choosing your pet right through to adulthood.

Great for thinking about things like hazards in the home and garden, also stages of puppy development.

For those thinking of home prepared diets this is brilliant and she even has a Cavalier herself!!

K9 Kitchen: The Truth Behind the Hype by Monica Segal

Karlin is just getting this one too!!

I won't start on the Cavalier reading list tonight...that's a whole different shelf :yikes

[/b]

Wow! Thanks Nikki!! I love Patricia B McConnell!! Our trainers uses a lot of her techniques. :D

Thanks Nicki--that is really helpful! I ordered the McConnell book. Sounds great on Amazon. You've given me lots more good books i can use.

Having a book list is a great idea.

Can't wait til you get back to us with your Cavalier book recommendations/reviews.

:)

I'm the only one who can post into the library so I'll start a threead on recommended books. I've meant to do this 9as about 10 million other things!!) for a long time, to include the key cavalier books too.

I also like Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy. In general a quite gentle book though some of the pics are hilarious -- very staged. :lol: The Other End of the Leash is the number one book I would recommend for all dog owners too for its breadth of perspective and common sense approach. I also like John Fisher and a few others.

Thanks Karlin - perhaps you could copy my post {from the new thread} into the library please if you think it's appropriate?

Haven't had time to sort out the Cavalier ones today, but will do very soon, I promise.

Yes I will; please folks continue to post here as well and I will transfer them to a suggested reading list. :cffee:

Back