• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Jake

Cathy T

My big boy had his teeth cleaned today and the report came back wonderful! I am so relieved....I secretly had my fingers crossed. I was certain the cancer had not returned but it's so nice to have validation. The vet tech said he has beautiful healthy teeth. No extractions necessary and his bone is all good. What a relief!! He has a very small chip on a tooth, they x-rayed it, and said it was fine.

I spoke to my vet re his biting. She said there is no physical reason for it...his teeth and ears are fine. She felt it was definitely a behavior issue and gave me some good things to try. Definitely keep feeding them in separate rooms. Also to vary the routine re the snood. Don't take it off immediately after feeding like I was. Give him a minute to calm down and get grounded again. Have him do another behavior such as sit on the couch or lay down and then remove the snood.

He's such a snoozy boy right now though...still a tiny bit groggy from the anesthesia and I'm sure he's hungry. No breakfast this morning. The house sure was quiet this morning with just me and Shelby! Awwww...he's snoring!! Love this boy with all my heart!

That's great news Cathy!! (y)
Although, is the vet sure that chipped tooth isn't sensitive? I know mine was when it first happened.

Jen said:
Although, is the vet sure that chipped tooth isn't sensitive? I know mine was when it first happened.

Believe me...I asked!! I told them about what he was doing and she said it was such an incredibly small chip that it wouldn't be affecting him at all. In fact, they x-rayed to be sure it was as small as it looked!

So it all comes down to ... the boy's got attitude!

Cathy T said:
Jen said:

Believe me...I asked!! I told them about what he was doing and she said it was such an incredibly small chip that it wouldn't be affecting him at all. In fact, they x-rayed to be sure it was as small as it looked!

So it all comes down to ... the boy's got attitude!

They all have their quirks, some are funny, some aren't! :lol:
Our one cat is terrified of tinfoil for some reason---and ceiling fans...in some past life he must have been stuck in one or something! :lol:

That's great Cathy! It's so obvious that your babies mean the world to you. :lotsaluv: It's wonderful to hear that Jake is cancer free. Of course the behavior thing, well, sounds like you are getting a lot of great advice. If only dogs could tell us what's going on with them. Sure would make things easier for us, huh? Then again, maybe i am really glad they can't talk! I would hate to hear what Riley might say to me when he is having an "attitude" moment! :yikes
Laura

Great news Cathy! who knows what reasons Jake might give if he could speak human.

My cat went through a long long period where she was scared of the 5 gallon Arrowhead water bottle when it was sitting on top of the ceramic dispenser thing, the spigot thing. Fluffy would go out of her way to avoid walking next to it. She'd look up at it, watching it like a hawk, in case it might suddenly lunge at her without warning.

Forest said:
Good news Cathy...one down and one to go :D When is Shelby's turn?
Julie and the girls

Shelby is next. But I think we will wait until next February during pet dental month when the procedures are discounted! She'll have just turned 3 and that would be a good time to do it. She has such funny little teeth....very different from Jake's. She has a bit of a bullldog underbite...which only makes her cuter!! I checked her mouth after our dentist's presentation to be sure no teeth were cutting into her palate and it looks okay. Plus, she just had her annual exam and the vet said she looks fine.

Now....we see our surgeon on Tuesday to find out the status on her dang knees! She had her surgery twice over a year ago and neither surgery held. So, we find out if we are doing everything we can for her supplement-wise.

It's a good thing I don't have kids that I need to save college educations for!! :? It would have all been spent on the dogs at this point!

SO pleased about Jake, that's fantastic news and you must be so relieved.

I wasn't up to speed with the biting, sorry to hear you've had problems, but sounds like you're getting sorted now.

If the snood is an issue, maybe try using it like a scrunchie? I have to do this with Rupert and TedBear as neither can tolerate a snood, so I put their ears up behind their heads and loosely tie them with a scrunchie or snood folded round several times.

I use really soft headband/scrunchies. I also gave two to Tara's mum (who boards my dogs) so she can tuck their ears up when she gives them chicken... 8)

Back