Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi need some information

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi need some information

Hi I have been trying to decide on buying a cavalier pup or getting a rescue dog. I think my decision was taken out of my hands not that i AM complaining. Some people would call it faith. Just got a call about a cavalier pup needing a new home that my friend heard about. This eight week old pup was bought as a present but was not a wanted present but as this person works alot and travels she cannot keep this little baby. So i was asked to take her. My decision will have to wait until the morning until i talk to my husband but i think i will offer her a home as i would have the time to give this pup the attention she needs . So if any one has any advise on this i would be very greatfull . I am trying not to get too excited but it is proving a little bit difficult not to . So i will let you know how i get on when the decision is made . I told every one i would go out to see her then make my decision but they said that wouldnt be a good idea cause i would bring her home no matter what which is totally true . I am hopeless when it comes to thoses puppies eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Uh huh!! It's called fate!! Sounds like a wonderful situation for all of you, the puppy, the owners and you!! Go for it. Guarantee...you go see her and you WILL bring her home!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

You could bet your life on it i wouldnt even have to see her my heart is pounding thinking of her . Hopefully things work out i am sure she would be a great adddition to our family. Hopefully this time tom i will have a new baby in our house. Will keep you updated on this and hopefully i will be posting her photo up as my new baby by the week end..

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!!

An 8 wk old pup will definitely be like an infant, and it will need extra TLC as it is so young. If you've got the time and love, I'm sure you'll be fine. Definitely have to post pics, though!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boy I'd certainly grab that opportunity! Let us know what happens!

Eight weeks would be a pretty standard age for cavalier puppies to be homed in the UK and Ireland --the US breeders tend to leave it much later. There are some good arguments for waiting and I can see the point from one perspective, but I do think you tend to miss having the puppy at one of the most enjoyable stages, and certainly I have seen no difference in how well adjusted the resulting dogs are. Also other breeds are rehomed at 8 weeks in the US so I'm not sure I have ever understood why cavaliers should be a special case.

I got Jaspar at 8 weeks and he was an absolute delight but also kept me very busy because they are indeed babies! One argument in favour of getting an older puppy is that they have progressed in the time they can hold their bladder for example so housetraining is a bit further along the way. A young pup is going to need to be taken out in the middle of the night almost certainly, and I found the first two months were quite intensive -- things get much easier after about 4 months. So just be ready for some work and a major investment of time. That said, it will also be lots and lots of fun -- the fun kind of work. Well except for cleaning up the poop.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

[size=6]go for it stacey and get those photos up for us [/size]
    semo

Post Thanks / Like

Stacey,
    Wow an 8 week old puppy! She's gonna have that wonderful puppy smell! It's pretty hard to resist. Just try to prepare yourself for lots of getting up to let the little one out and lots of patience and TLC. Sounds to me like you already made up your mind , but it also sounds like it's kinda meant to be. And a "win-win" for everybody.
    Looking forward to pics and lots of info. about your new baby!
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you!! Positive thoughts! It really does sound like fate.
    ....Sally
    Mom to Pixie - DOB 5/27/04
    And rescue kitties Max and Sophie

Post Thanks / Like

i hope you get her. do you know what color she is?

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure you will be able to give this little cavalier a great home. I really cant understand how a cavalier could ever be an unwanted gift. I mean those faces. Just too cute.
    Angela & Joey