• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi need some information

stacey

Hi I have been trying to decide on buying a cavalier pup or getting a rescue dog. I think my decision was taken out of my hands not that i AM complaining. Some people would call it faith. Just got a call about a cavalier pup needing a new home that my friend heard about. This eight week old pup was bought as a present but was not a wanted present but as this person works alot and travels she cannot keep this little baby. So i was asked to take her. My decision will have to wait until the morning until i talk to my husband but i think i will offer her a home as i would have the time to give this pup the attention she needs . So if any one has any advise on this i would be very greatfull . I am trying not to get too excited icon_whistling but it is proving a little bit difficult not to :p . So i will let you know how i get on when the decision is made . I told every one i would go out to see her then make my decision :oops: but they said that wouldnt be a good idea cause i would bring her home no matter what which is totally true icon_whistling . I am hopeless when it comes to thoses puppies eyes :sl*p:

Uh huh!! It's called fate!! Sounds like a wonderful situation for all of you, the puppy, the owners and you!! Go for it. Guarantee...you go see her and you WILL bring her home!!

You could bet your life on it i wouldnt even have to see her my heart is pounding thinking of her . Hopefully things work out i am sure she would be a great adddition to our family. Hopefully this time tom i will have a new baby in our house. Will keep you updated on this and hopefully i will be posting her photo up as my new baby by the week end.. :lol:

Good luck!!

An 8 wk old pup will definitely be like an infant, and it will need extra TLC as it is so young. If you've got the time and love, I'm sure you'll be fine. Definitely have to post pics, though!!

Boy I'd certainly grab that opportunity! Let us know what happens!

Eight weeks would be a pretty standard age for cavalier puppies to be homed in the UK and Ireland --the US breeders tend to leave it much later. There are some good arguments for waiting and I can see the point from one perspective, but I do think you tend to miss having the puppy at one of the most enjoyable stages, and certainly I have seen no difference in how well adjusted the resulting dogs are. Also other breeds are rehomed at 8 weeks in the US so I'm not sure I have ever understood why cavaliers should be a special case.

I got Jaspar at 8 weeks and he was an absolute delight but also kept me very busy because they are indeed babies! One argument in favour of getting an older puppy is that they have progressed in the time they can hold their bladder for example so housetraining is a bit further along the way. A young pup is going to need to be taken out in the middle of the night almost certainly, and I found the first two months were quite intensive -- things get much easier after about 4 months. So just be ready for some work and a major investment of time. That said, it will also be lots and lots of fun -- the fun kind of work. :) Well except for cleaning up the poop. :lol:

Stacey,
Wow an 8 week old puppy! She's gonna have that wonderful puppy smell! It's pretty hard to resist. Just try to prepare yourself for lots of getting up to let the little one out and lots of patience and TLC. Sounds to me like you already made up your mind ;) , but it also sounds like it's kinda meant to be. And a "win-win" for everybody.
Looking forward to pics and lots of info. about your new baby!

Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you!! Positive thoughts! It really does sound like fate. :D

Im sure you will be able to give this little cavalier a great home. I really cant understand how a cavalier could ever be an unwanted gift. I mean those faces. Just too cute.

i have no idea what colour she is i dont mind. thanks for all the feed back. I know she will be like a baby thats whats so exciting. I dont mind getting up at night i am well used to it . My husband comes in at 8 o clock from work so fingers crossed i might have her by this evening. I dont know the womans thoughts on giving her away but i would say she is doing the best for the puppy. I love that puppy smell icon_whistling . If things get bad with the toilet training i can always use the babies nappies :badgrin: :p

Sounds like you already know the answer! Do you know anything about the breeder, the lines, etc.

BTW, in all the litters we have had, we have NEVER had someone come out to the house, look at the litter and the rest of the adults, and go home without a puppy. I've always said, puppies are as addictive as cocaine.

Thanks everyone still havent got her yet she is a tri colour pure baby waiting to get a lift to see her . Hope all works out the woman is a bit hesitant to let her go so we will see what happens.

Ooooh we are all waiting!!! :xfngr:

BTW, in all the litters we have had, we have NEVER had someone come out to the house, look at the litter and the rest of the adults, and go home without a puppy.

I should say not; I'd be sneaking several puppies and a few of your beautiful adults in the car too... :drivecar:

stacey said:
....Hope all works out the woman is a bit hesitant to let her go so we will see what happens.

I admire the woman's willingness to consider giving her up, if she's rarely home. She must be able to see already that the puppy is sad and lonely being left alone a lot. Unless she can afford some kind of doggy daycare or dog sitter, it would be the humane thing to give her to someone who would be with her more than it sounds like this woman is able to do. these are such sociable dogs, and it's not healthy for them to be alone too much. i hope things will work out for you and the pup and this woman.

Perhaps it could be an "open adoption" and she could visit the puppy, and even maybe have her over to her home sometimes, take her on outings to the park and things like that--the best of both worlds for her and for everyone....

Got my legs crossed, my fingers, my eyes and anything else that I
can possibly cross for you.
Oh how sweet, can't wait for the news.
Are you going to keep the name they gave her or come up with another ?????????

Have we any news yet? .....

&

Linda the picture of your Ruby baby is SOOOooooooo beautiful! couldn't you just hug him and hug him!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Back