• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy Boo's Luxating Patella

judy said:
Cathy T said:
...I cried when they brought her out to me...she looked so pathetic. But that girl is a trooper. She was such a good girl. I guess we were blessed with very little rain for that period :)

Aw. i've seen this photo before, but its impact is just as strong as the first time. How sad, yet she still looks so beautiful somehow. Having her photo made in her little pink cast and her heroic looking cone collar, and her beautiful coat, what's left of it, it's a poignant and sweet photo. How long ago was the surgery?

She had the first surgery November of 04 and then again Jan 05. Today we see our surgeon to find out what went wrong and what we can do to prevent future injuries.

cathy, good luck today--i hope there is some really productive thinking about what happened, and helpful ideas about what to do now. what a disappointment that after such a medical ordeal, the procedure didn't work! and she was such a good patient too.

Hi all,
I was offline until today minding Daisy Boo. She is doing great, she had her stitches out this morning and is healing well. It's hard work looking after her though because as she feels better she wants to be out of the crate. However, she is being very good and despite the odd tantrum is doing well. Her appetite is not great though but the vet told me not to worry because her weight is fine. She has lost about a pound and now weight 5.4 kilos. Twinkle is now heavier than her at 5.8 being the little savage that she is :lol:
Joanna

Joanna

I am so so sorry I missed this post, but I am happy to hear Daisy Boo is healing nicely.
I cannot imagine how heart breaking this must of been for you, but knowing that she is on the mend already with no problems is a blessing.

Thinking of you sweetie, give her some kisses from all of us.
:lotsaluv:

joanna, that's great that she is healing nicely. it does sound hard to keep her crated, since she doesn't completely understand, but it sounds like you are handling it very well and helping her to get through it. maybe she will be more hungry when she can get out and about again. how long is the period that she must be crated?

Here's a picture of the day we brought her home. Her fur is growing back nicely now though.
db.jpg

The vet told me that she may have an upset tummy because of her painkillers so she's given me some drops to counteract the effects. Hopefully this will help. However, as you say Judy, she doesn't need much energy because she's only out for 5 minutes at a time on the lead to go to the loo. I'm bringing her back to the hospital for a checkup on June 12th and then three weeks later for an x-ray. I have to keep her crated until we get the results from that x-ray and then we can resume normal exercise. So all in all, about 6 more weeks.

Joanna, I've been out of the loop for awhile and just read about your little Daisy-Boo. aww...that picture...brings back some memories! I think seeing them after surgery hurts us more than them.

Pixie had her patella surgery Feb 05. As difficult as it was, we strictly followed the doctor's orders. You should see her now. Runs, jumps, turns, spins. It's a beautiful sight. Her fur grew back quicker than I had thought. Once her feathering got to be an inch or so, we had her other leg trimmed to match.

I'll keep good thoughts that Daisy-Boo's recovery goes smoothly.

Sally said:
Joanna, I've been out of the loop for awhile and just read about your little Daisy-Boo. aww...that picture...brings back some memories! I think seeing them after surgery hurts us more than them.

Pixie had her patella surgery Feb 05. As difficult as it was, we strictly followed the doctor's orders. You should see her now. Runs, jumps, turns, spins. It's a beautiful sight. Her fur grew back quicker than I had thought. Once her feathering got to be an inch or so, we had her other leg trimmed to match.

I'll keep good thoughts that Daisy-Boo's recovery goes smoothly.

Amen Sally!! I saw the picture and instantly thought "chicken leg"...that's what Shelby's little bald leg reminded me of. As far as the hair growth...yep, came back quicker than I would have thought possible. And although I had thought our surgery wasn't successful (we have since found out that it basically was...she just has looseness in the knee, but no popping out) she runs around like a little maniac. No slowing this girl down.

I can't stress enough how important it is to follow your vet's instructions as far as confinement no matter how difficult it is. I thought it was totally unrealistic but we got through it. You will too.

I saw the picture and instantly thought "chicken leg"...that's what Shelby's little bald leg reminded me of.

:lol: Terrible to laugh but that is what it looks like! Their poor bare leg looks so vulnerable and small when all the hair is gone.

Joanna I am glad that Daisy is doing well and that her hair is coming back in. It has really amazed me to see some pics of how fast these dogs regrow hair after any surgery -- Rory's came back so fast after his decompression and very quickly you couldn't even see the scar.

Let me know if there's anything I can do!

after just over a week, hair is now covering the little scar on zack's scrotum and it doesn't look shaved anymore..

Daisy Boo had her first check up since the surgery today and everything looks good :jump:
I have to bring her back in three weeks for an x-ray and then we can leave her out of the crate.

I feel like I'm living in UCD at the moment. I had to take Twinkle to the emergency clinic yesterday with her eyes. Silly little girl got something stuck in her eye and it caused an infection similar to conjunctivitis. She looks good today though.

Hi Tara,
She's doing great, thanks for asking. Her fur is growing back nicely. It's four weeks tomorrow since the operation so we've broken the back of it. I can't wait to get her back out. I'll be hoping to contact you as soon as she's better because then I'll have time to take Twinkle to obedience classes.
Joanna

hi Joanna.
Let me know which classes you're enrolling Twinkle in when you get round to it.
Thanks,
Yvonne

Back