• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

server move AGAIN!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok folks, this time I have an engineer helping me make the move to the new hosting company. What I am going to try to do is have minimal board down time. I think I can set up the move so that the old version of the board on the old server actually calls up the database from the new server, so that the posts will stay consistent. With any luck, this transfer may only take a few minutes to an hour. It also means I should be able to see if the new database works right away and if not can revert to the old database.

So fingers crossed -- with luck we will be in our new home by mid afternoon Irish time. :cffee:

At least I will have the top guru from the hosting company working directly with me! The one advantage of being the technology journalist for one of the main newspapers... :lol: I never pull rank except to get geek help or my phone or broadband probelms sorted... :shifty:

OK folks it looks like our changeover has gone through and we are FINALLY at the new hosting site!!!

Thanks to the guys at Hosting365.ie who did the transfer.

I need to upload the new smilies and some other minor board changes, etc but will fix that later today.

Done, smilies moved etc.

The board is considerably faster now; this should be noticeable to most! (y) We are based at a business-grade hosting service. Hooray, hooray, hooray; I am SOOOOOO glad this finally worked!!

:jump:

WOW well done Karlin...speed of light now!!!sometimes you have to pull rank and it was very worthwhile in this instance

Thanks to all the people who helped too :flwr:

I never realised we could get such a speed improvement just in the way the board operates.

:jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

We shouldn't have those bits of regular downtime either now.

:mexwav:

Thanks Karlin, I actually managed to do some work this morning... that's gone out the window now we are back on line...... yippeeee

:sl*p:

Whew! what a relief to hear it was all a success. I was afraid i'd have to postpone Zack's neutering for a minute there. :?

well done! and thanks for being here.

Goodness it is like lightning.

Great job, it so fast when I hit enter before I lift my head it is done.

Job well done, amazing work.
Way to go Karlin.
:mexwav:

was afraid i'd have to postpone Zack's neutering for a minute there

:lol: :lol: :lol: Boy that is REALLY looking for excuses!!

I never thought I'd be so delighted with something as basic as a hosting move. The site just works so smoothly now and so FAST!

:*bay:

The other coolness factor is that my rescue site displays correctly without all the weird little dingbats.

http://rescue.cavaliertalk.com

And I am doing a nice redesign of the SM Infosite. I hope to have that up and working over the weekend.

But most of all I am just so darn glad the board is moved with the database, the problems are gone, and everyone gets a better board experience as a result.

:rah:

Thanks for all your hard work, Karlin. I appreciate it so much and I know everyone else does too. I just can't imagine how you find the time for this, all the responses, and your rescue site; oh yeah, and you have a job too! All that work is nothing short of incredible.

Back