• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How's Jack? Update?

judy

Nicki? How's Jack doing in his convalescence from The Operation? i hope he's doing ok..

Thanks Judy, he's heaps better today. He had some fluid in the scrotal sack yesterday,which was quite swollen and uncomfortable, so has been on the Staphisagria and is much better today, thanks for asking.

He's eating well, and trying to jump up onto the furniture, so feeling better.

Hope it goes well for Zack too, keep us posted!

Thinking of you, and sending lots of positive thougths for Zack

Rory was fully mature when we neutered him and he had quite a bit of swelling, too. I iced it with peas, and it seemed to help. ;)

Nicki said:
Thanks Judy, he's heaps better today. He had some fluid in the scrotal sack yesterday,which was quite swollen and uncomfortable, so has been on the Staphisagria and is much better today, thanks for asking.

did you need to use one of those collars for him?

you're right about homeopathy not being an exact science. Of course each individual patient and situation is different. but who knows? the homeopath i went to today didn't want to sell me aconite, she said it was redundant with the arnica. she did't want to sell me staphisagria either, she said that was only if after a week or so, he wasn't healing. She did strongly recommend, and of course i got, belles parenis (sp?). she said that was for injuries to the testicles and that area in particultar. i did get the phosphorus. i'm still going to get the staphisagria before i pick him up, having thought about it.

i went to the pet supply and to a booda bone, and a bleached femur bone and Choo Hooves which is hooves pressed into sticks, which the lady recommended over the hooves themselves, whcih she said, when i asked why, could break off in little pieces more. i also got something called Fresh Sticks which is made out of chicken and chlorophyll and herbs and stuff which she says is the main seller now that a lot of people want an alternative to greenies, she said it's all digestable. i know he'll like them. Plus i got him a new bully stick, hopefully it won't stink. that should give him plenty of things to be quietly occupied with for a couple of days and more.

anyway, so, in a half hour i can call, they said, to see how he's doing.

i felt bad at the vet and cried in the car because she took him out of my arms, the woman at the front desk, and was going to ask the vet if she could give him the aconite before the surgery, after the pharmacy opened at 10am (the vet didn't want to give him anything before the surgery, doesn't seem familiar with homeopathy). then, when she came back without Zack we discussed it a little, i said it doesn't go into his stomach, but then when we finished talking, i asked if i could say goodbye to zack and she said no, they are "already doing stuff to him." :cry*ing: I guess it's really easier that way, but it still felt :cry*ing:

i hope Jack is still doing good. i know he's getting the best of care. :flwr:

rory said:
Rory was fully mature when we neutered him and he had quite a bit of swelling, too. I iced it with peas, and it seemed to help. ;)

he wasn't bothered by the cold?

Judy, I don't understand why they said the Aconite was redundant - that's for shock, arnica is for pain and swelling, so two different things.

Zack hopefully won't need the staphisagria, but I'd get it in case, and give him a couple of doses straight away, to prevent any swelling. It sounds like it might be an older dog thing, Rupert was only 1 when he was castrated and he didn't have that problem, but I've heard of it with other slightly older dogs too.

Jack hasn't touched his stitches, he has some bruising in the area so maybe it's a bit sore? I think the stitches probably pull and itch more as they heal? I do have one of those collars, but I also have some little boy's pants, so would probably prefer to put those on him, as I hate the collars.

Hope Zack is ok and will be home soon with you - ((((hugs)))) for you both.

judy said:
rory said:

he wasn't bothered by the cold?

No. He tolerated it quite well, actually!! I wrapped the peas in a towel so it wouldn't be too cold.

Nicki said:
Judy, I don't understand why they said the Aconite was redundant - that's for shock, arnica is for pain and swelling, so two different things.

Zack hopefully won't need the staphisagria, but I'd get it in case, and give him a couple of doses straight away, to prevent any swelling. It sounds like it might be an older dog thing, Rupert was only 1 when he was castrated and he didn't have that problem, but I've heard of it with other slightly older dogs too...

About the arnica and aconite, she said that arnica is for trauma, physical and emotional--i hadn't heard that before. In my experience, it's been great for wound healing, wounds from sudden trauma such as a broken arm, and various kinds of whacks. My daughter healed very rapidly from a surgery a couple of years ago. The homeopath said if i was stressing about the neutering, or anything, i could take arnica for that. I hadn't heard that before.

I did get the staphisagria. i really appreciate you sharing with me the protocols you're using.

rory said:
No. He tolerated it quite well, actually!! I wrapped the peas in a towel so it wouldn't be too cold.

That's good to know about. I wish i had some peas. I'm afraid to leave zack alone here now because i don't want to put the cone collar back on him. maybe i can get some later... good idea. I have a couple of cold packs but they are big and flat. i do have some other frozen veggies though! i'll use the cut green beans if needed.

Glad it was helpful Judy.

Jack had his stitches out today, he's been so good, hasn't touched them at all. I did have one of those cone collars in the cupboard but it hasn't even been taken out!!

Glad that Zack is doing ok too, whew what a relief to get it over with!!

I am always delighted when the stitches for anything come out. Hooray for Jack -- now it's back to life as usual! :)

Back