• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Declan

misty

Our darling Declan fell asleep peacefully about 2 hours ago.

He was a lovely Blenheim boy, aged 7.

He fought gallantly with MVD and was on so many different pills.

Tonight he was having trouble breathing and we decided to take him to the emergency vet. Before we left, I cuddled him and begged him to help me get the strength to make the right choice for him.

When we got him into the car, he lay on the back seat next to my fiance, and fell asleep. A few minutes later he'd stopped breathing. It seems like he made the choice for me. God bless him.

He was a treasure - intelligent, funny, loving, noisy, playful, plucky - a wonderful little lad.

We've come home to his son, Cailean, who is running around the house in circles looking for his dad. How do you explain to a dog that his companion's not coming back? Poor little boy.

I'll never forget Deccie-Dog - he was one in a million.

Take care til we meet again, my sweetheart.

Oh I am sooo sorry for your loss.
Prayers and love,
Poor little son left behind to wonder....
Sorry!

Oh Misty I'm so very sorry to hear about your precious Declan.

Bless him though that he had such a peaceful end, and saved you from the trauma of giving him his wings.

Try to take comfort that he is free from pain and running happily with all the Rainbow Bridge Angels...and one day you will be reunited.

Sending our love and ((((hugs)))

Don’t cry for me I’m doing fine,
I’m in heaven now with wings that shine,
It makes me sad to see you cry,
but I’ve big fields and flowers up here in the sky,
God gave me all I could ever dream,
It’s a place more beautiful than you have ever seen,
While there on earth I saw your smile,
bringing me peace if just for a while.
Now as I live in eternal bliss,
please just know I send you a kiss,
I loved the time you devoted to me,
but want one last thing, for you to smile for me.

Author unknown

Just cuddle Cailean close, he will understand that you are upset. It may take a while before he stops looking for his Dad. Try to keep him in his normal routine for meals and walks, although I know it's very hard.

Is there any chance that Cailean could visit with Declan?

I lost my beautiful Tricolour Peaches {also aged 7} in January to MVD and multiple other problems, we gave her her wings at home, and placed her in her bed. We let our other two come in and see her. Rupert, who had lost a companion before, just sniffed her and seemed to accept straight away. Teddy couldn't understand at all, he kept going over and licking and nudging her and couldn't work out what had happened. It was heartbreaking to watch, but eventually he seemed to accept it.

Obviously they were both upset, but neither of them looked for her afterwards.

When you feel up to it, you may find some comfort looking at these sites:

http://www.petloss.com/

http://www.griefhealing.com/petlinks.htm

http://rainbowsbridge.com/chat.htm

http://rainbowsbridge.com/hello.htm

http://dogs.about.com/od/griefandloss/

I'm so sorry that you have lost Declan. You were clearly doing everything possible to give him the best life possible -- and he left you in such a peaceful way, taking the hard decisions from your shoulders. That won't lessen the pain but I am sure it will be a comfort to know he slipped away so gently and would have felt no pain -- and you were there with him too.

I'm so sorry for you loss. Your Declan sounded like a beautiful boy. May he rest peacefully or romp happily, whatever makes him happiest.

So, so sorry to read your posting. it's heartbreaking to say goodbye to a little one that we have loved so very much, be gentle on yourself, time does heal, it will get better. Treasure the memories for they are so special and yours forever. He is and always will be in your heart

Thinking of you all at this very difficult time,

Take care,

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Our thoughts are with you Misty. I lost my beloved rescue Jonah to MVD in January '05. Like your Declan, he was out playing in the snow and just had a massive coronary and went quickly. It was truly meant to be that he spent almost 2 great years with us. I still miss him every day....

Sheri

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. You will never ever forget Declan but the pain will get easier in time. Cherish your special memories as they are yours forever.

Thank you to everyone for their kind responses - I've drawn lots of comfort from them.

We collected Declan's ashes from the pet crematorium today and are keeping them safe until the weather is nicer. Then we're going to scatter them at a beauty spot he enjoyed.

I've put a photo of Dec as the wallpaper on my work computer and every so often, I stare at him and shed a few tears.

I'm sure he is running free and loving it.

Cailean is a little bit withdrawn, but he's stopped searching for Declan in the wardrobes now. I'm not sure whether or not we will get a companion for Cailean, as he basically hates dogs! He liked Declan because he knew him.

We are giving Cailean lots of love and fun, and trying to help him move on. He is also a wonderful comfort.

Thanks again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you too at this difficult time. Declan will always be a special part of you and your family and he rests peacefully now.
Julie and the girls

I am so so sorry that you losted Declan, I am sure he is at peace now and God Bless him making the heartbreaking decision for you.

Thinking of you during this very difficult time, may time heal you.

i found nicki's post very moving. may you and caillean find peace and comfort and lots of love in each other's needs for affection and closeness right now.

getting another companion for caillean sounds like something to take time in considering, one of those choices in life that is not cut and dried or easy to know what's right. lilfe is so amazing, always rich and complex with choices and challenges. maybe if caillean was used to Decci, he could get used to another dog and enjoy the companionship. at the same time, if he hates other dogs, you are right to go slow in thinking about it. it sounds like you are very sensitive to his needs.

take care misty, wishing you comfort and peace and lots of happy memories to ease your grief

So sorry to hear about Declan, I hope your heart is less heavy now and that your memories of him are all wonderful ones :flwr:

My Maxx is 7 in August and I treasure every moment we have together xxx

So sorry for your loss of Declan. Hope his memories bring smiles one day as the pain lessens. It is so very difficult to loose such a dear friend. How peaceful his death was at your sides.

Thanks to everyone.

We are gradually adapting to life without Declan. The tears have mostly turned to happy memories.

I got married 2 weeks ago. The day after the wedding I took a cream rose from my wedding bouquet and wrapped a sequin in it and left it nestled in a fir tree close to where Declan passed away.

Cailean is loving the attention of being an 'only' dog at times, but other times he looks very wistful. He won't eat alone anymore, but I think that's natural, as he was obviously used to eating with another pack member. We now bring his bowl into the living room, so he can eat in front of us. Cailean seems better with other dogs now, but only when he's not on his lead.

We have room in our hearts, our home and our lives for a companion to Cailean, but it would have to be a dog in need. We still have mixed feelings though and will leave it to fate for the moment.

Thanks again to everyone - your thoughts have helped so much.

xxx

I will always believe that the dog that is meant to be yours will and does cross your path at the right time as well as when it is the right human and right time we cross their path. Hoping as time heals that your path is crossed at just the right time with the perfect little fur ball that needs you as much as you need him!

Back