• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Declan

It's nearly 6 weeks since Declan left us.

In the past week or so, there have been 3 or 4 instances where Cailean has seen things that I can't.

I have found him staring at blank walls and barking, or looking up towards the ceiling, staring into space. He has never done this before.

I wonder whether Declan's coming to visit him?? Every time Cailean does this, I talk to Dec anyway, in case he's there.

I miss him so much still, bless his heart.

Mary is so right in what she says. I too believe that the right dog will come at the right time. We'd been actively looking for a dog for about 18mths before we found Maxx. Then I had a bad road accident and knew it would be some time before I could work again in any capacity. Maxx was born two days after this accident & has been my constant companion since we brought him home. We've been through so much together and have dried each others tears on many occasions as well as sharing so many fun times together too.

When Charlie came along I had practically given up on finding another dog, either puppy or rescue as when I had my name down for a pup, they were both premature and stillborn :( . Then, one day I was having coffee with a friend and her brother-in-law popped in with her niece. He started to tell me that they'd had a death in the family and he was trying to re-home the dog without much success. Maxx and I visited that evening and after a few neutral meetings and home visits from Charlie, he moved in. He's now changed from a terrified little wreck into a little monkey who is so confident with us that we never dreamed it was possible. He's also gaining confidence with strangers and some other dogs too - it's lovely :flwr:

Misty, I do believe that Cailean may be seeing his Daddy. I am a great believer in life after death and know of many instances of animals seeing things before humans do.

We used to have a cat who would knock the letterbox when he wanted to come in as he was too big to fit through the cat flap (we always thought he was crossed with a dog as he had the biggest paws and head of any cat I've ever seen!!!!). One night we were sitting watching tv when the letterbox knocked (he used to lift it up and let it thud) in the way that Felix used to do it. This was followed by a yowl. Hubby got up and went to the door but there was nothing or no one there. This continued four or five times until I got up and went to the door. I stood there and said 'Come in Felix'. My youngest was there with me and he said that he felt something brush past his legs that felt like a pussy cat - he was only about six at the time & not the sort of child to make up stories.

When we got Maxx, he used to sit by the front door & watch something going up and down the stairs and I swear to this day that it was Felix he was watching!

I must admit when I see Cailean staring at something I cannot see I will embark in a 'conversation' along the lines "hello darling Declan, thank you for coming to see us"

His breeder said Declan popped into her mind a few weeks ago - turns out it was the week after he died. Think he'd been to visit her too. :)

On animal planet there is the lady who speaks to the departed animals and her thoughts are they are always with us. They touch us so much in real life how can they not always be touching our lives...these special little critters who bring us so much joy.

I had an experience like this a few years ago after our cat died. She was a beautiful cat and I would never get another one as I don't think that I could get another like her. She was 13 years old when we had to give her her wings. She appeared to me twice after she died. I saw her as plain as anything sitting on the arm of the lounge chair. I'll tell you it made my heart skip a beat. There was also one other time not long after that. I used to think that she came back to show me that she was OK as I had a great deal of trouble making the decision to take her to the vet for the last time. Our darling cav never did this and I often put that down to the fact that he died naturally in my husband's arms. I knew at the time that he was having a heart attack and just prayed to Saint Francis ( the patron saint of animals) to take him quickly to stop his suffering. I'm sure our beloved companions are waiting for us there in heaven.
Julie and the girls

I find these posts so difficult to read. I can't imagine the day I will lose one of mine. But at the same time I find them comforting as well. We know we will lose them at some point and I just try not to think about it. Love them to the fullest every day and take joy in every minute. We lost two cats at age 13 to different disease over a 2 year period. I never thought I would get another animal as it was so hard to get over their loss. But when I consider the great joy and how much they have fulfilled me...I know I will.

To all of you who have sent your beloveds to the bridge...know that I think of you daily and sympathize with your pain. And thank you for telling us your thoughts and feelings. I take comfort in knowing I can read through these when I need to find solace and understanding.

It is so hard letting go, even if it's only for the time being.

However, the pleasure of having one of these darling creatures in our lives far outweighs the pain.

Losing Declan has made me cherish every moment with Cailean. I love him more than ever (if that is possible!).

When Declan went to the bridge, someone here advised me to take comfort in Cailean. I have done this - giving him even more hugs than usual. He's a wonderful lad and I know his time with me is limited, which makes me appreciate him even more.

He is "mummy's boy" and is kissing me as I type.

Declan's been visiting again.

When I know I'm going to be in for a couple of hours, I always light a candle and put it on top of the tv. I do this in Declan's memory.

Last night the candle was lit. I was upset about Cailean's heart troubles anyway. Suddenly Cailean spotted something on the sofa opposite (nothing visibly there). He stared for a few seconds, then went running over and jumped onto the sofa. He seemed placated then and jumped off and carried on as normal.

A little later, I was sitting in my usual armchair, browsing the 'net with the laptop on my knee. Often Declan used to sit on the chair arm next to me, or jump onto the laptop. My right arm was resting on the chair arm all the time - suddenly the underneath of my forearm went really really warm. I lifted my arm up and it felt 'normal'. When I put it back on the chair arm, the warmth had gone. :)

So last night we had 2 visits from darling Deccie.

On Sunday night, I also had my candle burning. As the candle was burning, I received an e-mail with some happy news. I had 2 more e-mails with further happy news before the candle had burned out.

I think Declan is keeping me very close at the moment, as I cope with the onset of Cailean's MVD.

{{{{{{{{Misty}}}}}}}} I'm so glad that your darling boy has been back to see you & Cailean. I honestly think they do come back to give us strength and help us through the bad times.

I must admit that I was always an open minded sceptic until I met Colin Fry (from the 6ixth Sense on tv) & he gave me a reading. This was a man whom I had never met before & he related a conversation to me that I had had with my late Father, a year before he passed over.

He told me of things that had happened since my Father's passing & times that my Father had been with me. It was so accurate that there was no way he could have been making it up. He also told me of times that my Father had said that he would be around me too - I just said OK and never mentioned it to anyone else in the family. Strange thing was though that my kids then had strange experiences at these very times!

So, you just enjoy Declan's spiritual visits. It seems that they will come until they feel that you are strong enough without them.

Take care xxxxx

Dear Misty,

I have joined the site only recently and I have just read your thread about your baby Declan, I just want to say how sorry I am to hear the sad news. I can only imagine how hard it is and Declan is obviously trying to help you - know that he is happy and missing you just as much as you are missing him - you will see him again - believe!

:luv:

Mia said:
Dear Misty,

I have joined the site only recently and I have just read your thread about your baby Declan, I just want to say how sorry I am to hear the sad news. I can only imagine how hard it is and Declan is obviously trying to help you - know that he is happy and missing you just as much as you are missing him - you will see him again - believe!

:luv:

I know we'll see him again. I should imagine he's really frustrated seeing me missing him, when he's watching all the time!

I feel as if he's helping me a lot at the moment. :lol:

Back