• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bathing ques...

Kingofthehouse86

how often should a cavalier really b bathed....i mean i give mine a lil bath once a week cuz he sleeps wit me and after bout a week i dont really wanna smell dog when i sleep...plus workin wit pups all day doesnt help either...any replies will b good?

Well all different here, The dogs that are shown are bathed the night before, which is normally once a week. The girls that aren't shown are bathed after every season normally, and the boys that aren't shown are bathed about 3 times a year but have regular underneath wash downs cos they are smelly so and so's :lol:

Rach said:
have regular underneath wash downs cos they are smelly so and so's :lol:

:lol: :lol: yes we have that problem too, and HOW do you teach them that their feathering isn't for peeing on????

Rupert is nearly 10 and a little bit dribbly, the two littleies both seem to get more on themselves than on the grass :yikes so all have a daily wipe down and a full underneath wash once a week.

Full baths are 3 -4 times per year like Rach - unless the little darlings have rolled insomething!!

Discussed here at some length:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1735&highlight=bathing

And again here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1979

I bathe about every 3 months unless Jaspar rolls in something. :roll: Mine also swim in the sea and in ponds and canals which is more than enough to keep coats clean. You can achieve the same goal by rinsing them in water. Though I found after swimming in a shallow channel at the beach, it really got their coats incredibly white! Must be a mix of the sand being a bit abrasive and the salt.

I bathe mine every two weeks in the cooler months, and monthly in the summer. They swim in the pool and lake in the summer so they stay pretty clean that way. I will give them a rinse after swimming in the lake... :yuk: Mine sleep with me too so I don't want stinky dogs in my bed either :yikes

I've always been under the impression that bathing a dog too often will dry out his/her skin, and can cause skin problems. I've bathed Lucy twice in the past two months, and would like to bath her again now (she gets very dirty outside and she also sleeps in my bed at night). I do wipe her down with baby wipes, which makes her smell better, but doesn't get her looking clean. Soooo...do I bathe her only 3-4 times a year, or is it okay to bath her as often as every two or three weeks? :?

I haven't had any problems with their skin drying out. I use moisturizing shampoo's and I also use conditioner. I use Lambert Kay's Fresh and Clean Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo. It really smells GOOD :D and the scent lasts for a long time. They also make a conditioner to go with it and they make a puppy formula. It is what the groomers here use so I am assuming it is good stuff. I like it anyways... cl*p

Back