• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do boys smell

edel

Im dogsitting my boyfriend cav Shadow again this week and find that he smells quite alot. I washed both Shadow and Lady Tuesday night to see if it would make a difference. He is a bit improved but there is still a lingering smell around him. Lady smells really nice and is more pleasant to cuddle because of this.

So do boys smell more than girls? Is that a trait of the boys because if so i think my next cav will have to be a girl 8)

Im really not sure if this is the case with males. I have a male cavalier and i must admit he never smells bad. As with all dogs maybe as bath time nears he starts to smell a little but nothing terrible. I wouldnt let that put you off buying a male though as like i said my male doesnt smell and he is just as adorable and loving as any female.

I find that our boys start to smell for a couple reasons. Usually it's because they sometimes get in a hurry to pee and will get their fur and other times it's because they are "up" to something. In any case we find that we have to bathe our boys just slightly more often than the girls. And, like Angela said, some boys really never smell any worse than the girls.

Dudley does not smell, unless it is getting close to bath time
which is usually every 2 weeks. I believe this would be the same for girls, lately he has been passing some wicked gas.

I agree with Angela, I would not let that put you off getting a male.
In general I have never found Dudley to smell that bad.

I would also check his tear ducks for odour as sometimes this can cause a foul odour.

is the dog neutered? Does he mark a lot?/

rory tended to acquire a distinct urine smell after a few weeks when he was unneutered and lifted his leg on everything (often sprayinig himself accidentally in the process). But he always cleaned right up with a bath and smelled great.

now he's neutered and squats almosst always to pee and doesn't get it on himself and he smells great! :D

So unless it's a urine smell due to peeing on himself, I don't think boys smell any different than girls.

My unneutered boys smell "strong" while we have girls in season in the house. It cleans right up afterward and they probably smell as nice as the girls until next time. Sandy

Our Byron used to get rather "gamey" smelling before he was neutered. His urine smelled a lot stronger before, and I think it was getting in his tummy fur before he perfected his leg lift. Since he's been neutered he doesn't smell at all.

I don't notice a difference in smell on my two. Now that Shelby's tearing is under control her tears don't smell anymore. That was our biggest problem. I do like to have them bathed about every two week though.

I have a feeling its coming from his breath. I will go home tonight and give them a good scrub. Will this make a difference if it is his teeth. Is there anything else i can do to improve the smell of his breath as it is rather bad :yuk:

Cathy T said:
I don't notice a difference in smell on my two. Now that Shelby's tearing is under control her tears don't smell anymore. That was our biggest problem. I do like to have them bathed about every two week though.

How did you clear up Shelby's tearing?

Monty smelt awful :yuk: up until Monday when he was neutered is was like a strong wee smell and i could smell him as soon as i walked into the house since he has been neutered hes as fresh as a daisy and my house no longer smells :D

Pseub said:
Cathy T said:

How did you clear up Shelby's tearing?

I am absolutely amazed. Shelby has had stinky tears since forever!! I mean...you didn't want kisses because her face smelled so yucky. I started both of them on seameal with dinner and eye envy. I used the eye envy every day for about 6 days and then every couple of days. We are at 3 weeks post bath and still no stink! Well....at least not her eyes!

Pseub said:
What's seameal?

For the eye envy, did you use both the liquid and the powder?

Seameal is a supplement sold by Solid Gold. Pet People carries as do some of the smaller pet stores.

Yes, I used both the powder and the liquid. I used the powder for about 5 days in a row and now use it a couple of times a week.

Wonderful results!!

Zack usually smells good, whatever scent he has is mild, his breath smells faintly like kibble, his body doesn't smell.

When i first got him and he was sick wiht worms or something, he also was scratching a lot, and he had a "dog" odor, just a smell i've come to associate with dogs all my life, i dont' know how to explain it.

On this forum i've heard of bad breath from teething, i think zack had that because his breath was bad for a while. The "dog" smell went away after the first bath and then returned after a couple of weeks. He didn't get another bath for quite a while, probably more than a month, but the body smell, and the scratching, and the bad breath, all went away, without any bath.

But one of the medicines they gave him, sulfasalazine, gave him an eye condition which caused him to have tearing which he hadn't had before, and then his eyes smelled. After a month or two, the tearing cleared up and that odor went away. Sometimes he gets some tearing for a day or so and there's a faint odor, and then it clears up.

Normally he has smelled fine, he's heavin to cuddle and kiss, but suddenly last week, he had awful breath and i thought maybe some kind of ill condition was returning, but now i'm leaning toward the theory that he had eaten poop. the smell has not occurred again since then.

Zack pees on his front feet every time, it seems, and his feathers get all wet. I think it happens whether he's lifting his leg or squatting. He lifts his leg almost every time now even though he was neutered last saturday. But i don't smell anything. Sometimes i wipe his feet off but not always. I was wondering whether this is a permanent thing, will he always pee on his feet, or will this too pass?

Zack gets a bath once a month or less. he doesn't get more smelly when he hasn't had a bath in a long time.

My boys don't don't really smell that much, Busta sometimes but that is due to him peeing on his feathers.... but if we go out and it's wet normally cleans itself.

I do find that the entire boys have very strong smelling wee - and this is particularly a problem with the feather wetters :yuk:

I use apple cyder vinegar in their water, and this seems to neutralise the smell...they have about 5ml in 1 pint of water, they don't particuarly like it but it does work. To start with they had it every day for about a month, but now only need to have it a couple of times per week for it to be effective. It's also supposed to help with incontinence and with arthritis...

Well both my curent boys are entire and the only one who stinks is Jassy. It is not a "wee" type pong either, and he has had a dental and his ears are ok. It is worse in a warm confined space. Nicki, I use the apple cider tip ocasionally, especially if we are going on holiday.

Hi Norma, good to see you on here. Big hugs for Arne and Jassy :D

No the smell isn't what you'd normally think of as a wee smell, but isn't pleasant!!

The cyder vinegar really works for us, as I said I only ahve to use it a couple of times a week for maintenance.

Maybe Arne is a better "aim" so he doesn't get his feathering wet?

Back