Thread: Howdy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howdy

I am a novice and newbie to both the discussion boards and the beloved Cavaliers. I am a new mom to Quincy. She is a Tri that is 5 months old. I want to be a good mom and handle her in the best way, since I read from you that there is a critical learning curve at her age. I found Cavaliertalk while researching the other night. I feel less confident of the discussion board, so forgive me if I mess up protocol. There is so much to learn and I think I have found the right place. So..my first question is: How do I handle the biting and nibbling that seems to be getting better but still socially unacceptable?

Thanks,
    Marsha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Welcome. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this board. Sure like to see pics of your Quincy soon. What I did that worked for me and my cavaliers and collie is when they start to bite I would loudly say ouch like they would do to each other in pack if they bit each other. A loud ouch and then NO! and leave them for a moment. If they were good such as not biting or like a couple of mine that like to take my hand in there mouth and hold it ...they don't bite .....then I praise them to high heaven. This worked for me ..hope it works for you. Welcome....Mary
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

hello and Marsha

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Marsha and to the board. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your cavalier!
    Thanks from JoJo (M-blen- 2 yrs) , Jack (M-Tri 1 yr at the Bridge) , and Miley's Destiny our newest addition born April 22nd (F-Blen 14 weeks old)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by Qmom
    I am a novice and newbie to both the discussion boards and the beloved Cavaliers. I am a new mom to Quincy. She is a Tri that is 5 months old. I want to be a good mom and handle her in the best way, since I read from you that there is a critical learning curve at her age. I found Cavaliertalk while researching the other night. I feel less confident of the discussion board, so forgive me if I mess up protocol. There is so much to learn and I think I have found the right place. So..my first question is: How do I handle the biting and nibbling that seems to be getting better but still socially unacceptable?

Thanks,
    Marsha
    Welcome, and yes, you have found the right place to learn! Has Quincy--love the name--had any obedience training? That would be the first step, find a reputable trainer that uses positive reinforcement training. They'll also be able to work with her on the biting issue. Our trainer has us scream "ouch" and then Gus jumps back and stares at us So, it seems to be working for us, give it a try! It's suppose to mimick the mother or other pups loud wail when a bit is not welcomed.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marsha - welcome. Don't feel uncomfortable....the first time I used a message board was when I got Jake 4 years ago. I was really nervous about breaking protocol, etc., but this board is super friendly and you'll have no problems.

What everyone has said about the biting is right on. When Jake would bite I would yell ouch in a high pitched loud voice. You should have seen his face the first time I did it!!! It worked though.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Marsha

I am so happy that you have found the love of a cavalier, I also Ditto
    everyone else.
    A Very Firm No and whelp will give her the idea you are not happy.

Also, like everyone else has already said this Board is super super
    friendly so relax and ask away.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome and glad you found us! feel free to ask anything; the only protocols are up in the 'getting started' section and there's little I don;t allow here except some sensitive discussions about breeders; the selling of puppies; or discussions on how to go about breeding your own dog (the latter because a discussion board isn't the place to start, as there's so much responsibility involved and the need for personal mentoring. So joining the local breed club, getting into showing, and finding a mentor are the places to go for that expert information ).

We like any and all sorts of conversations and for the very rare times when people don't want to talk abiout cavaliers, we have our online pub for all other topics!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board, we have great people on this site who have experienced everything so shot away with questions...