• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cold Water Fish Oil

Linda

Darby has a bit of dry skin, I was adviced yesterday by the Vet to give him some fish oil 1/8 of a tsp twice a day, with intervals of at least 8 to 10 hours.

I did buy him Innova Puppy Food and he loves it, but of course when I put the fish oil on it he was not so keen on it.

Anybody have any suggestions on how else to give him the fish oil, I know it is also good for him.
The Vet did say if his stool becomes runny to cut it back a little, I spoke
with my breeder yesterday and she gives it to her gang at least 3 times a week.
Was thinking maybe just to soak a few kibble with it and make sure he eats them and then let him enjoy the rest of his food.

Would appreciate any advice.
icon_nwunsure

You could try an oral syringe. Most vets sell them. They work well for giving dogs liquid medicines.

Rod Russell
Orlando, Florida USA

when zack was scratching a lot, one of his vets sold me somethnig called Missing Link to put on his food. Here's info about it http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html
It doesn't have fish oil in it but she said it was good for dry skin. I got it in early March but i haven't opened the bag yet. Zack stopped scratching. I didn't want to add stuff into his diet, i wanted to simplify things.

I think the idea of an oral syringe sounds good. Because the fish oil is oily though, it might be somewhat different than squirting water based things into his mouth, maybe just give a small amount and see how that goes. Was the breeder giving him fish oil 3X a week?

We are starting to fed my lot either tuna or sardines in sunflower oil once a week with a half measure of their biscuits - would this work?

Thanks for your replies, yesterday I gave him a couple of charlee bears
and placed them in the fish oil before hand. It seemed to work as
he loves charlie bears.

I think the syringe is a wonderful idea, he is getting such a small dose
that I don't even have a tsp that measures 1/8 so just using 1/2 of one
1/2 of a tsp.

Seems to be working.

Why not just get the fish oil in those gel caps? That's how I give mine fish oil and they don;t get it on their hair or their breath. I just put the caps in their food. 500mg caps seem to work fine with no side affects.

I give these maybe 2-3 times a week. Nutritionists have said never to give more than this amount daily as it can cause liver problems. I don't know why you'd need to give oil twice a day rather than just a couple times a week to see a benefit? Often diet changes help dry skin too -- feeding one of the diest designed for dogs with sensitive skin; Royal Canin does one of these for example.

If feeding oily fish it's a good not to give the fish in oil as it isn't a beneficial oil. The oil is very high in calories and there's a LOT in a tin!! It can also give them the runs. Get the fish in brine or better yet packed in water, low sodium, if you can. The good oil is in the fish (eg mackeral or sardines, bioth better than tuna which has a high mercury content and a low omega 3 content in tinned tuna).

You can also give fresh fish like a bit of mackeral taken off the bone.

karlin said:
Why not just get the fish oil in those gel caps? That's how I give mine fish oil and they don;t get it on their hair or their breath. I just put the caps in their food. 500mg caps seem to work fine with no side affects.

I give these maybe 2-3 times a week. Nutritionists have said never to give more than this amount daily as it can cause liver problems. I don't know why you'd need to give oil twice a day rather than just a couple times a week to see a benefit? Often diet changes help dry skin too -- feeding one of the diest designed for dogs with sensitive skin; Royal Canin does one of these for example.

If feeding oily fish it's a good not to give the fish in oil as it isn't a beneficial oil. The oil is very high in calories and there's a LOT in a tin!! It can also give them the runs. Get the fish in brine or better yet packed in water, low sodium, if you can. The good oil is in the fish (eg mackeral or sardines, bioth better than tuna which has a high mercury content and a low omega 3 content in tinned tuna).

You can also give fresh fish like a bit of mackeral taken off the bone.

Karlin
I will most likely give him the Gel Caps when he is older but he is so small
and they had been watering down his Puppy Food Kibble to a paste, so I am in the process of trying to get him used to eating it normally and it
takes a while but he was not eating it the other way. He is by no means a fussy eater, Thankgoodness, I would think the dose all at once in a gel cap may give him the runs I was told to give him 1/8 of a tsp twice a day
but try and spread it our over 8 to 10 hours.

I wanted to switch him to Raw slowly, and I know that a lot has been discussed around this but the Vet and the breeder said he really needs to
be on the puppy food for at least another month.
I would love to give him sardines, but thought he may be too small yet.

What do you think. ???????????????

They were feeding him Wysong Growth and my Vet did not particulary care for this food, not because she was trying to sell me another just the ingredients. I started him on Innova Puppy Food so maybe this will help,
the Guardian was bathing him in Head & Shoulders, I understood that
Human Shampoo was not good for dogs. He just has some dry flakes, so
maybe I will give the oil ever other day to see what happens until he is
old enough to change diets and take the gel caps.

One other thing about the stuff zack's vet said to give him for dry skin, the Missing Link, she said it would take several weeks to see the results. So, maybe that's true of other dietary things you can do for dry skin, like fish oil.

Maybe you can give him canned salmon, low sodium packed in water. I get that for myself and it has little fish bones (the vertebrae) that are very soft and crunch up like some kind of crispy grain food, it wouldn't hurt to swall them whole, they're that soft. salmon is really high in essential fatty acids, i think. It's expensive but he would only eat a little at a time and it would go far. The sodium content is only 50mg.

Lulu I'm really surprised she was bathing him in head and shoulders, that's really strong even for humans.

The only human shampoo I use at all is baby shampoo for the face so that it doesn't irritate the eyes.

what are Charlie Bears???

I have previously just given a small amount of butter or margarine a couple of times per week for dry skin, which seemed to help. But if he'll take the salmon oil and isn't gettting runs, then I'd go with that for now, Monica Segal speaks highly of it.

Missing Link is supposed to be excellent, recommended by many holisitic vets in the uk

Nicki said:
Lulu I'm really surprised she was bathing him in head and shoulders, that's really strong even for humans.

The only human shampoo I use at all is baby shampoo for the face so that it doesn't irritate the eyes.

what are Charlie Bears???

I have previously just given a small amount of butter or margarine a couple of times per week for dry skin, which seemed to help. But if he'll take the salmon oil and isn't gettting runs, then I'd go with that for now, Monica Segal speaks highly of it.

Missing Link is supposed to be excellent, recommended by many holisitic vets in the uk

Nicki
Me too, I got some shampoo from my breeder that she picked up at a show for me last year, I also have a very very good quality puppy shampoo and Pet silk and a few others. Not lacking in that department,
Charlee Bears are little treats which are only 3 calories per treat, they are all natural and come in different flavours I like LIVER :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes We'll not me personally but the furry boys do, actually one of Derrick's friends likes them too. A little strange who knows.
Here is the website www.charleebear.com

No Runs as of yet, and his poop is actually gotten firmer since I changed his food to Innova Puppy food.

Can I give him Organic Plain Yogurt or is he too small. ??????????????

The flakes are going away, so the oil must be helping.

Back