• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

no laughing please

Harry & Heidi's mom

hi,

my rescue cav ebony is in heat (2 weeks now), and so far we've managed to keep them apart, but last night harry mounted her and i stopped him immediatly, so what are the chances of her getting pregnant by that??
maxxs mummy has told me that she will be most fertile now that the bleeding has almost stopped so ebony is spending a few days with my neighbour (who has 2 bitches) so harry doesn't get too frustrated!

:sl*p: :sl*p:

I'm no expert but if they had tied I don't think you would have managed to separate them so I think you might be ok.

I have also heard the same from my breeder if they were into it, you would not of been able to get him off her.

May be okay, but maybe some of the more expierenced members will
reply.

they hadn't tied, to be honest i don't think he actually got her *if you know what i mean* icon_whistling

i remember when i was about 8 our family dogs mated and were tied, my sister thought they were going to die cos they were tied and stuck to each other by the butt, we didn't know that it was normal :sl*p: :lol: .
she went on to give birth to 4 pups which we kept!

I think harry isn't my baby anymore, he's a man :( icon_whistling

Bruce has discussed this general issue before but to reiterate in the current circumstances you must keep them absolutely, totally apart -- as in one must ALWAYS be confined when the other is out, no exceptions, ever. This has to be an ironclad rule in the house. They DON'T need to tie for a male to impregnate the female, so the best thing is either to consider getting the hormone shot/morning after remedy or start to watch Ebony very carefully and have the vet check her in a couple of weeks to be sure she has not conceived. They can get pregnant just as easily as humans can from fairly casual contact though it is less likely if they haven't tied. If she is pregnant you can consider a spay while pregnant. If you want to avoid having to make this decision you need to get her in right away for the morning after injection so she won't carry any pups.

If you have an intact male and a female making sure nothing unwanted happens really requires constant, constant vigilance. It is really tough! Their drive to conceive is incredibly strong, the strongest drive in the natural world, and remember nature will conspire to make a pregnancy happen even with very brief contact. I'd talk to your vet for advice right away and go from there but think through waht you are are comfortable doing if she has conceived.

Hi Karlin,

Ebony is having a little holiday at my neighbours, she has 2 dogs herself but both are bitches.
I don't think Harry actually "got her" but will ring my vet today for advice on what to do next.
I know humans can concieve with very little "contact" but wasn't sure about dogs, hence the title of this thread!

thanks

Hmmm, bit late in responding to this, things have been crazy lately between work in the office, my siding project at home and Kris chasing all over the country to dog shows. But enough whining!

What Karlin said. I know it's hard to always have one crated (and in separate rooms, BTW), but you have to do what you have to do. And the underware that you put on the girls to keep them from spotting in the house are NOT a chastity belt! Those boys will get them off or work around them and the girls will do everything they can to help! The instinct to reproduce is incredible.

Glad to hear she is at the neighbors house now. I'll cross my fingers that she doesn't conceive and you don't have more difficult decisions to make.

linda that little ruby has the cutest face ever, is that your little puppy?...
also thats funny about the heat, is there such a thing as the morning after pill for dogs the same way there is for us?. :D

cleopatra said:
linda that little ruby has the cutest face ever, is that your little puppy?...
also thats funny about the heat, is there such a thing as the morning after pill for dogs the same way there is for us?. :D

Yes that is my darling little Darby, you can see more pictures of him here and in the puppy gallery.
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2079

I hope that girl is not with puppies, I never knew of such a pill either.

I am sure you will be okay though.
Did you manage to check with the Vet. ?????

lol...its good that there is such a thing, and its good to know that there is such great treatments nowadays for our pets, its reassuring

Hi,

Ebony's bleeding stopped on monday, how long will she be fertile for??
what i want to know is,.... is it "safe" for her to come home??

Heather

Generally, a girl is in season for about 21 days. I would wait for a few days after that, then give her a good bath and keep an eye on her and the boys just to be sure.

Back