• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feathering

Qmom

I am working on my avatar and trying to get this all right. You are all pros at this.. When do Cavs usually start getting their feathering? Quincy just seems almost like a short haired dog now. Some of your dogs, even the young ones, seem to have more hair. Is this an individual thing?

Marsha

Quincy is lovely. They do take a while to get their hair in. Kayla had ,what we used to call a rats tail for the longest time. Now it is beautifully feathered she is 13 months old. I am told that more hair will come in prob until she is two.

That is the perfect description of Quincy's tail- a rat's tail with a curl on the end. Sometimes I can fluff it out but it always goes right back into itself. That is encouraging,
Thanks, Gillian

Marsha

It took Molly, my Blenheim girl, about 15 months to get well feathered, and nearly three years for her full coat to come in. She is gorgeous now, although there were times during her first year when I wondered if she would ever look like the beautiful Cavaliers I see in pictures. She did, eventually. My little Abby, tri puppy, is already starting to get feathering on her front legs, although she still has the "rat" tail. I have heard that tri colors have fuller coats eventually. Is that true??

I felt like you - I wondered if my girls would ever have pretty feathers. Fauna, my black and tan has really feathered out in the past few months. She is now about 9 months old and really is coming along very well, although her ears aren't as pretty as the rest of her - yet. My little blenheim, at 7 months, is showing signs of getting a pretty coat. Flora's tail has "unfurled" from the "rat tail with a curl" to a semi-flag. It just takes time and I think that, from what I've read, it can be well after they are a year old for their coats to really begin to "mature." Quincy looks much like I remember my Tri did at his age. Time should take care of your concerns. I think she looks beautiful as is.

JaneB

It's funny that this post has come up because I was beginning to think Twinkle's tail would never unfurl. I noticed this morning however that it has started to unfurl and I'm so relieved. They must all be different though because Daisy Boo has had beautiful feathering on her tail since about 4 months old.

Thanks Alison, Just before we went to pick her we were trying out names and I had been reading an article about Jamie Oliver and his family (one of his little girls is called Daisy Boo). I suggested it to Kelvin as a joke and he loved it so it stuck. Of course everyone we knew thought we were mad :lol: but they got used to it. Twinkle is called after a dog we met at Tara and Lisa's training class.

Two friends of mine in Cork have a blenheim called Charlie Brown and a Shitzu called Coco Chanel!

Thanks all of you for the great encouragement. I am getting the drift that Cavaliers are cute pups but become more beautiful as they mature.
Quincy lost the baby look quickly- too quick for my taste- but she is beginning to have more of an adult head, the body I guess will follow...

I also love your babies' names. That is one of the things I enjoy about the board. reading all the names of the Cavs.
I am also observing that many of you have multiple Cavs, that is making me think that Quincy may need a playmate. Do they do better with another dog in the house?

Marsha

i believe 2 or more dogs r great cuz they keep each other company when u cant b wit them....i only have 1 but he loves it when puppies come over 4 a visit or a sleep over....but i dont think i could get another cavalier rit now....plus King is 1.5yr and his coat came in beautifully....but i didnt hav him trimmed down a lil 4 the summer cuz last summer it was so hot but he liked stayin in a AC house but this summer where goin on outings and places and i wanted him to b as cool as possible so im gonna let him grow it bac 4 the fall/winter then leave it....he looked so beautiful wit his gorgeous featherin and ears/tail so long.....but it also was a lil 2 much to handle this spring/summer cuz we had so family issues and we didnt really hav time to brush/comb him daily...so we kinda did it 4 both him and me.....he kinda liks the short hair :lol: but i think each cavalier is different....King's 1/2 brother who's 7months older still doesnt hav as much hair as king had...so i guess they differ

Lady's Legs have started, she is just over 7 months, but i too was wondering when the fur would drop!!

i hvae a lovely pic of Cloe her first daughter Holly, Max and Lady [her ruby pup] but i cant get my avatar to load from photobucket, still trying!!!!

Back