• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

pork ok ?

amanda L

Ive been feeding my cav cooked pork (with Nutro choice nuts) for a while now, (he cannot eat chicken/beef, gives him bad diaahorea). Since reading this site, Ive also started to add in veggies like carrots and peas, (he loves them). However, quite a few people have told me that pork is very bad for dogs and shouldnt be given :shock: . Has anyone any advice on this?

I've always heard pork is just fine. Some people even feed it raw or give raw pork bones but I'd be a bit jittery about that because of trichinosis. These days pork is really lean too. I'd pour off fat after cooking, still, and wouldn't feed only pork but think it is a good additional meat for variety!

Maybe some others know where the warnings might come from (eg what they are about)?

Amanda,

I feed Pork, but only a little at a time, have you tried rice and pasta? try brown rice as it has a higher fibre content, good for anal glands!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

I have seen pork in the little cans. Can he have turkey perhaps instead of the chicken. One of mine can't tolerate chicken and we give her turkey mince and her kibble is a turkey and rice formula for sensitive digestions.
Julie and the girls

I think a lot of myths started about pork being bad for dogs as it doesn't appear as a common ingredient in pet foods.

The reason? We humans {well the non-veggies!} get to eat the bits that the dogs would have got in sausages etc!! :yikes so there aren't many byproducts left to go itno dog food.

Also orginally pork was considered high risk for worms...

Anyone for a veggie burger :D

Turkey sounds good, never thought of trying it...will def. give it a go with some brown rice. I don't like feeding pork all the time and im sure he's getting a bit fed up of it aswell :roll: Its fairly unusual to hear about dogs who cant take chicken, mine was one of the few ones Id known of, and boy when i gave it (or beef) were the after effects bad!! :yuk:

I do know of at least one other Cavalier who can't tolerate chicken, but yes it's more unusual than beef intolerance.

Definitely worth trying the turkey...

King, my ckcs, loves salmon....everytime its on sale @ the store my mom buys him his own lil piece and we broil it wit a lil garlic powder....mix it wit his kibble he goes nuts 4 it....he also loves a lil dish i came up wit for him....i cook 1/2cup of brown rice, 1/4cup peas, carrots, greenbeans, brocili pieces (or w/e veggies ur cavalier like) Nupro (recommended amount 4 his weight) and 1/4lb of chicken/beef/turkey (sometimes even salmon or vension or duck if i wanna spoil him) a pinch of garlic powder and ur down put it down and let ur cavalier go to town....King always licks his chops 4 lik 10 mins after eatin this.... :lol: or if u wanna spoil ur kid 4 breakfast here's King favorite egg omelet recipe.... 2 eggs 1/4" grated NBL food roll (lamb/beef/turkey) pinch garlic powder/nupro, cook the eggs (either scrambled or make an omelet) and add lil yellow american cheese (if i scramble the eggs i add garted cheese b4 i cook) try them....c wat ur kids think... i got a couple more recipes but i'll find them and add them soon

Back