Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet Wetting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpet Wetting

Does anyone have any suggestions for my beloved Sophie, who has taken to occasionally wee-weeing on the floor? I tore up my living room carpet last weekend (she had started on that) down to the wood floors, which I hope to get finished soon. Now I think she has wee-wee'd on my new rug runner I put down.

I usually try to get up at least once/night to let her out if I'm not too tired (I do work two jobs tho').

Thanx.

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like

Sheri,

How old is Sophie?

When does she do the wee? through the day or only at night time? is there a pattern of this like after a feed etc?

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpet wetting

I imagine she tends to wee when I'm not around - probably during the evening even tho' I walk her every evening before bedtime. I suppose I should just put her water up at night esp. now that she would rather sleep in the kitchen on the cool floor and the fan I have continually going in there.

Today is a beautiful, low humidity day. Tomorrow is back in the 90's with lots of humidity here! I'm definitely a fall season person, so summer here isn't exactly my favorite thing! There is a saying in Nebraska "if you don't like today's weather stick around for tomorrow - it'll most likely change".

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First thing to do is get her to the vet right away. When dogs start doing this and haven;t before, it is very often the sign of a urinary tract or kidney infection. These can be quite painful for the dog and as with people, makes you feel like you have to keep going even when you've gone.

If that isn't the case -- I'd lift all carpets and runners that you can and go back to the start with housetraining. Also clean the spots where she has gone with an enzymatic cleaner designed to lift urine smells from animals. These need to be totally destroyed so that the dog cannot smell them or she will return to go in the same places. Regular household cleaners that disguise the scent from you aren't adequate.

I recommend Shirlee Kalstone's How to Housetrain a Dog in 7 Days as a guide for all aspects opf housetraining -- including remedial housetraining.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Karlin. I'll look into the book and the methods. This morning I sprayed the rug, so hopefully she'll get the message. Yea, right like her memory is disappearing - but I don't think so. Even tho' she's deaf, somehow she can still hear the freezer opening when I get ice cream - go figure

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Even tho' she's deaf, somehow she can still hear the freezer opening when I get ice cream

Maybe she feels the vibrations of the freezer opening... or smells a whiff of frozen ice cream... I swear I can do both!!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

many years ago my cat started peeing all over the house, when she never had done that before. We had moved to a new apartment and we had let a nice stray cat come in to visit so i thought fluffy was just marking her territory. it went on for months. then someone told me to get her checked by a vet and voila she had a urinary tract infection, antibiotics cleared it up. months of smelly cat urine all over the place, wish i had gotten her checked sooner. karlin gives very wise advice, as usual. hopefully it's not an infection.

I was just reading a book last night that was talking about this, it's Tricks I Taught My Master by Robert Andrysco, a dog behaviorist. He was saying how dogs read their world by smell so much and how if they can smell urine or poop someplace, they process that as being the bathroom where it's ok to go.

what an ordeal for you. I hope it will soon be over. If it's not a urinary tract infection, i wonder what would cause her to start doing it now. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default carpet wetting

Thanx for all your great advice on the carpet wetting. I will definitely get her into the vet for a check to start with. However, I noticed last night that I think she wet on my new rug runner while I was at my evening part-time job, which is one of the times I've noticed she tends to pee! Funny thing is tho' my daughter is always home those evenings, so we've decided that it possibly could be a "mad at mom" syndrome as well Interestingly enough she doesn't seem to every wet on the floor during the day when we're both gone.

Who says these dogs don't have human emotions?? Or a great memory when they WANT to !

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It wouldn't be that she is mad as they don't have that sort of emotional response but could be that she finds the arrangement anxiety-producing. There'as also the possibility that she could be going on that place when you are there and don;t see her or during the day but it dries long before you are home (a UTI typically produces lots of small wees that can be hard to even detect). If she has thoroughly marked that area she will keep returning to it. Also maybe she needs to go out during the time your daughter is there and if she structured a walk halfway through in the evening, this would also solve the problem?

The vet is the place to start though.

Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

We had a tough time of it getting Flora housetrained but found a non-chemical spray called NO GO at PetCo. After cleaning up the urine you spray it on the carpet or floor and behold, a miracle. No smell to humans and it doesn't leave a film or stain on either carpeting or hardwood floors. It really did the trick for us. You can find it on line at: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=6526
    You might want to give it a try.

JaneB