Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Please

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good thread since our two are coming home soon....I like reading what everyone has to say. We're planning on crating them the first night and then in side by side crates just until they become housetrained. They'll each have their own snugglepuppy.

Is that being mean? They'll still be right next to each other.....
    Sophie and Scooter come home on June 25th!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my new 2 home (as I said above, they were nearly 18 months at the time) I did everything I was supposed to, i.e. feed separately, sleep separately etc.. However they will not eat separately. They eat from separate bowls but at the same time and although they have separate beds they almost always get in the same one. Often getting in the smallest bed and practically sleeping on top of each other. I walk all 3 together as they like playing together. I have no problems with the smaller of the 2 or my original dog. The larger one does bark at every dog or human we see and so IS going to need separate training and walks.

However I think this should be treated as an individual issue, rather than saying all puppies should do things separately. Obviously my larger dog, Sunset, needs the separate attention and will benefit from it as she will be a happier dog. The other two are well behaved and well adjusted as they are.

My only issue then is that the other 2 will feel left out because of the separate attention Sunset will be getting. I am wary that I don't want to reinforce her behaviour but neither do I want to cause the other two issues of their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoesncavs
    This is a good thread since our two are coming home soon....I like reading what everyone has to say. We're planning on crating them the first night and then in side by side crates just until they become housetrained. They'll each have their own snugglepuppy.

Is that being mean? They'll still be right next to each other.....
    I don't think that's mean at all. In fact, we start crating our litters about a week or two before they are to leave for their forever homes so they are used to being in a crate by themselves. They sleep and eat in their own crate. What we do is "Circle the Wagons"; we place the crates in a circle with the fronts facing each other so they can see each other. Works very well and I think it helps them being able to see each other. Very seldom do we have a puppy that cries beyond the first night.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bruce! Their crates are wire ones so they'll be able to see and smell each other. I just think it's important for them to be used to their own crate in case one gets sick and they need to be separated and also for when they get spayed and neutered (I want them to rest, not play).
    Sophie and Scooter come home on June 25th!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update: both puppies are now together in their new home. So far there have not been any problems and everyone seems to be adjusting well. They are with a wonderful couple who is very attentive.

I believe today they were off to the vet to be altered - so they get to share this experience together as well

Thank you to everyone for the advice, while I had not problems with the puppies being together - I wanted to give the couple the best advice that I could.

To me it always seems the more the merrier and nothing can beat a Cavalier huddle!!!
    Janet V.
    Heritage Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I can think of only one ......
    BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HUDDLE
    Kim
    Reggie, Honey & Missy
    Coloma, Michigan USA