• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how much fruit, how often?

cleopatra

karlin said that my pup jasmine can eat bananas and apples which she really enjoys, i usually give her half an apple and half a banana about every 4 days, how often should fruit really be fed and how big or small a portion as i dont want to overdo it

You can feed that amount every day if you want. Try her on some veggies too -- mine like carrot sticks and green or red bell pepper slices (not the hot ones of course!). Also pears are popular, and most berries.

If you want her to get some nutritional value from most veg and fruit then it needs to be pulverised (eg very finely grated or put through a juicer or cooked and mashed) but even in sticks as a treat, these are low-cal treats and good roughage for them.

thanks karla is good to know that i can vary her diet, my husband has now jumped off the bed to go get her a pear, cause no one else is gonna :) eat them

King loves apple/banana/blueberries/strawberries/carrot/pepper the list goes on my family laughs sayin that King has more of a variety in his diet then my lil brother..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fruit & Dogs

Are frozen green beans OK to give as well? This morning Sophie found a strawberry that I must've dropped yesterday in the kitchen - she ate it and I was hoping it was an OK berry for dogs to eat! (she even tried my potato salad for my lunch icon_whistling )

Sheri

Strawberries dont seen to bother King...he likes them.....last night we treated him to a lil strawberries/bananas and yogurt...plus his regular food he went NUTS!!! :lol:

Strawberries are great for them! Nice and soft; my mom's cavalier adores them. Also frozen green beans are fine, either raw or cooked. Good 'filler' for fat cavaliers needing to lose weight, too. :lol:

Fruit, How much

And that "fat girl that needs to lose weight" would be my beloved Sophie (and myself - thanx) icon_whistling
Altho' I'm not real sure I'm ready to start eating frozen gr. beans for my snacks!!!

Sheri

What about watermellon??? I gave mine some watermellon last night just to see if they would eat it and they loved it!!! Is that alright for them also?

We can't get Zola eat any of this stuff. I'd love for her to eat more veg but the closest we have come is when she chews up and then spits out carrot!

Both of mine love all kinds of fruits and veggies. When I'm in the kitchen cutting up my fruit salad Jake sits right next to me and paw me every once in a while to "remind" me that he is there waiting. I give me a little of anything I put in there.

I have to laugh at when I've fostered and given breakfast. Our breakfast consists of baby carrots, apple and broccoli. Usually the foster will look at me and Jake and Shelby like we're nuts. Within a couple of days they are waiting anxiously for their breakfast!!

karlin said:
If you want her to get some nutritional value from most veg and fruit then it needs to be pulverised (eg very finely grated or put through a juicer or cooked and mashed) but even in sticks as a treat, these are low-cal treats and good roughage for them.

Karlin,
I was under the impression that fruits and veggies lose a lot of their nutritional value when cooked...so, I was wondering if you meant cooked or steamed? Do you also mean that as "sticks" they are just low-cal treats and good roughage without any significant nutritional value?

Lucy's been enjoying carrot sticks, sharing apples with me, and getting raw string beans cut up and placed on top of her dry food at dinnertime.
After reading these posts, Lucy is thrilled to know that bananas, pears, peppers and strawberries will be appearing on her menu, too!

b*n*n* :*nana: :w**h**:

Are blueberries and raspberries ok, too?

Cooking takes out some nutrients, but dogs don't get a huge amount of nutrition off most raw veg they eat as they can't digest it -- but it is great as low cal filler/treats and as healthy dietary fibre. I don;t think it makes much difference if the food is cooked or raw and certainly many nutrition experts (such as Monica Segal whom we have been discussing here --Linda is feeding some of her food) are cooked diet advocates. I often make stews with cooked chicken and veg for example. The dogs love it and there's plenty of nutrition in it. Pulverised raw veggies are great too and do retain more nutrients.

I think watermelon sounds like a great treat!

There's a list of dangerous foods here:

http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=862

Also a lot of cooked diet recipes in the Caring for Your Cavalier scetion of the Library

My Cav loves all kinds of fruits as well as carrots. He definitely has a sweet tooth! :D

But I do notice that he doesn't digest the carrots particularly well if I give him carrot sticks. So the earlier advice about grating food seems logical.

Also watermelon seems to give him diarrhea.

:yuk: In addition to the list of foods to avoid posted above, I've also heard that grapes and raisins can be harmful to dogs. Apparently the skins can be toxic.

Back