• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Robbie had an eye check up yesterday..

debjen

with the eye vet..Unfortunately he was in a flare up an eye irritation/infection so I wasn't anticipating a good report..and sure enough he was not producing any tears in his right eye (which has a chronic dry eye problem) ..his left eye (which has never had a problem) was normal...so we've added another drop to schedule for awhile..so we have 4 different drops to get in the eye before work and at lunch...and he gets them even more often in the evening when I am at home and do more...we go back in 2 more months to see how he is doing.

Oh poor Robbie! That's a shame; does the vet have any idea why one eye would be fine and the other would have these problems? That must be a hassle too to do all those drops, though I know myself from having a dog that needs daily pills, that you do get used to a routine with such things.

The vet's best guest is that a duct did not form correctly or was injured shortly after birth as it does not appear to be blocked. It is a hassle to give all the drops but it does not slow him down a bit so that is good and at times the eye is better than others so we can drop some of the drops at that time..as problems go it is a minor problem and one easily handled...

Sorry you're having to go through this. But sounds like you are handling it well. And glad it is a manageable problem.

sorry about robbie's eyes, and all those eye drops. Do you have to make special trips home from work to give them to him at lunch? that can be stressful. the first month i had zack, at one point he was on about 4 or 5 different kinds of pills per day plus eye drops three times per day to treat the eye irritation caused by one of his other medications. i had to come home from work.

Is surgery not an option?

when my daughter was born, the pediatrician said she had clogged tear ducts, the technical term is dachryostenosis (sp?), the symptom she had was discharge from the eyes, crusts, eyelids stuck together after sleep. we didn't think it was that big of a deal at first.

At her very first pediatrician visit after we brought her home, he told us about the clogged tear ducts, said it was common, on some babies the ducts are just so small that they get clogged.

then he told us we had to express the tear ducts some number of times per day, i don't remember, and he demonstrated, he had us old her while he took his thumb and jabbed it hard and suddenly into the corner of her eye, making her scream and her pee squirted into the air, she was naked at the time, the poor baby, he did it to both eyes, my legs were weak, her father too, she had not yet even cried since we got her, she didn't cry the first week or two, was really contented, and he made her scream for along time, we were...i don't know the word for how we felt at that time, we were devastated to think we had to do this to her several times per day, he proudly showed us the stuff that came out when he expressed the tear duct and said we had to get this stuff out every day or else, in two weeks she would have to have surgery on her eyes to correct the problem, general anaesthesia and everything.

words can't describe how we felt following that appointment. i talked to lots of people about it and somone gave me the number of a different pediatrician, a holistic one, altough this was before the work holistic was used like it is now.

i called him, and he got right on the phone with me, and without asking me to bring her to be examined or anything, he expressed some irritation about the other pediatrician, some sadness that the baby had been hurt, some disdain for the other doctor's advice/prescription/predictions, and calmly said to just put breast milk in her eyes a few times per day and let him know if it wasn't cleared but by the next day.

After putting a few painless soothing drops of breast milk in her eyes one time, the crusts and discharge never came back again. No more dachryostenosis. we were like, wowwwwwwww! what a relief.

that was long before i knew anything about or sought 'alternative' health care, but experiences like that did gradually erode my absolute confidence in expert opinions over the years and got me seeking out opinions and information about alternative medicine/healing, along with info about conventional medicine as well.

Maybe you could find a breeder with a nursing bitch who would let you try putting mothers milk in Robbie's eye a few times per day on a weekend and see if it helps? who knows....

So sorry to hear about Robbie's eye - poor wee fellow, hope it settles soon.

Judy, that is an amazing story. As you know, I'm very keen on complementary/holisitc treatments, but I have never heard anything like that.

Nicki said:
...Judy, that is an amazing story. As you know, I'm very keen on complementary/holisitc treatments, but I have never heard anything like that.

I hadn't thought about it much since then. I did read around the same time that breast milk could be given intranasally for sniffles but never tried it.

i just did a search on it, not sure about what search terms to use, but i found a few things.

this first one says, without explanation, that at one time people thought breast milk cured dachryostenosis but now it is known that it does not. I don't know how they know it doesn't, they don't say. They do say that for most kids it clears up on its own within 9 months without treatment, no mention of the eye gouging "therapy." Maybe it was just a coincidence, but after putting breast milk in her eyes a few times, after a day, there was no more mucous or discharge.

https://secure2.ecureme.com/emyhealth/Pediatrics/Dacryostenosis.asp

Here's another brief reference:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8125-2078093,00.html

here's one that says breast milk as a cancer palliative or treatment is being studied:

http://www.nbc4.tv/health/7575314/detail.html

Back